Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » AMP » Debugging an escape model
Debugging an escape model [message #630201] Fri, 01 October 2010 05:53 Go to next message
Oliver Mannion is currently offline Oliver MannionFriend
How do I run an Escape model in debug mode so my breakpoints get hit?
Re: Debugging an escape model [message #630416 is a reply to message #630201] Sat, 02 October 2010 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend
Hi Oliver,

Please see:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=289394

and

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=325598

Smile

cheers,

Miles
Re: Debugging an escape model [message #631036 is a reply to message #630416] Tue, 05 October 2010 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Miles I'll try and get a standalone version going.
Re: Debugging an escape model [message #631038 is a reply to message #631036] Tue, 05 October 2010 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oliver Mannion wrote on Tue, 05 October 2010 18:24
Thanks Miles I'll try and get a standalone version going.

Hi Oliver,

To be clear, all you have to do is this:

a) Create a regular AMP project and develop a model in the AMP runtime.

b) Create an Eclipse Runtime *without* including that project. Go to Runtime Configurations.. and the plugins tab, change "All workspace and.." to "Plugins selected..only", select all and then deselect your project from the workspace projects. (You could get rid of anything else you didn't need as well if you'd like.)

c) Launch the runtime in debug mode and add your project to *that* workspace.

d) Set your breakpoints in the hosting (original) Eclipse.

I think that should work. I'm not sure if step b is needed here.

Notes: the two versions will not necessarily be in synch, so you should also hit F5 / refresh on the project when it gets into debug mode and when you drop back to the hosting environment. I would recommend not having the project attached to SVN as having code generated in two different places can wreak all kinds of SVN havoc. Basically, don't make any code changes in the debug copy of the project and you should be fine. It might make sense to just disable the AMF stuff for the debug if you're using it, but that will create error markers for your builders.

This all sounds much more complex than it is..
Re: Debugging an escape model [message #631039 is a reply to message #631038] Tue, 05 October 2010 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW, I'm a big fan of using console output / logging for this sort of thing. Then you don't need the debugger at all. Since AMF doesn't (yet) have explicit support for logging, you'd need to create Method actions for that. Of course if you're writing your own Escape models you can just throw the Sysout calls into the code. Note that depending on your setup they may go to the *System* console, not the Eclipse console.
Re: Debugging an escape model [message #631060 is a reply to message #631038] Wed, 06 October 2010 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Miles - I've got this working just as you described!
Re: Debugging an escape model [message #735730 is a reply to message #631039] Wed, 12 October 2011 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eva is currently offline EvaFriend
Miles Parker wrote on Tue, 05 October 2010 18:41
BTW, I'm a big fan of using console output / logging for this sort of thing. Then you don't need the debugger at all. Since AMF doesn't (yet) have explicit support for logging, you'd need to create Method actions for that. Of course if you're writing your own Escape models you can just throw the Sysout calls into the code. Note that depending on your setup they may go to the *System* console, not the Eclipse console.

Hello,
I have a problem with that..I want to write some messages, so I have put some Sysout calls in my method actions but nothing appears in the console when I execute the program.How can I see this System console?
I have tried to use the class System.console() but it doesn't work either.
And generally I get nothing no matter what I write in my method actions (even though their Generate attribute is set to true).
Thanks!
Re: Debugging an escape model [message #735758 is a reply to message #735730] Wed, 12 October 2011 16:30 Go to previous message

Hi Eva,

See below..

Eva wrote on Wed, 12 October 2011 11:39
Miles Parker wrote on Tue, 05 October 2010 18:41

Hello,
I have a problem with that..I want to write some messages, so I have put some Sysout calls in my method actions but nothing appears in the console when I execute the program.How can I see this System console?
I have tried to use the class System.console() but it doesn't work either.
And generally I get nothing no matter what I write in my method actions (even though their Generate attribute is set to true).
Thanks!

By system console, we mean the console for your operating system. On OS X for example you can find it in
Applications:Utilities. (I can't remember what it is on Windows but IIRC it is in the System tools somewhere.)

Setting the generate attribute to true is exactly what you don't want to do if you're writing custom generate actions.

cheers,

Miles
Previous Topic:integrating real time data with eclipse abm platform
Next Topic:printing messages on console
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:53:33 GMT 2024