Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Objectteams » The Road Ahead - Request for Feedback
The Road Ahead - Request for Feedback [message #629583] Tue, 28 September 2010 18:55 Go to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
After our first two releases from Eclipse.org it's probably time to re-adjust our plans with what users need most. Every now and then I talk to people who on the one hand see the potential in Object Teams but on the other hand feel that they cannot yet apply this technology in real-life projects. At this point I'd like to learn from you, what exactly are the criteria that Object Teams must meet for being used in your projects.

To start the discussion I will briefly outline the items that are on our agenda right now:

Update to the 3.7.x stream of Eclipse development
Previously, we did one big jump once a year, migrating our sources to the next version of Eclipse. This time I did the basic migration right after the Service Release 1. By staying closer to the development head adopting changes from Eclipse is no longer a risk but pure routine.

Joining the Indigo release train
After milestone 2 of the Indigo release train (3.7 M2, due this Friday), we will join the train so that one Object Teams milestone will always be delivered simultaneously with all the other Indigo projects. Hopefully, Object Teams will then be served from the central Indigo update site.

More contributions
We still have code in our pipeline to be uploaded to our SVN:

• The OT/JPA module was initially held back due to the sheer number of 3rd party dependencies. After first analysis, many of these dependencies can be worked out (e.g. using Orbit). A particular pain point was the plexus compiler plugin for Maven, which would probably not pass the legal analysis at the Eclipse Foundation. Luckily, in Maven3 we should no longer need the plexus plugin (experiments are work in progress).

• One more test suite is currently under legal analysis. It is the core suite for testing OTJLD compliance of compiler and runtime environment. This suite was held back because it previously used a GPL'ed framework. It has been transformed into a JUnit suite and should now be fit for Eclipse.org.

• An alternative implementation of the OTRE is pending for submission. This implementation uses ASM instead of BCEL and shall bring two advantages to OT/J: faster weaving and the option of runtime weaving and re-weaving.

Graduation
When all these are done and when the API for all our plugins has been defined the project should apply for "graduation", i.e., leaving the "incubation" state. To reflect the maturity of the code base and all the previous releases up-to 1.4.0 the first version after graduation will be 2.0.

Bugtracking
Compared to the above tasks our mere 34 open bugzillas are a piece of cake Smile

Given these plan items, what do you see missing? Which would be your priorities?

TIA for your comments
Stephan
Re: The Road Ahead - Request for Feedback [message #630439 is a reply to message #629583] Sat, 02 October 2010 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ruwen is currently offline ruwenFriend
I think the most important point that OT works together with other "standard" tools like Maven and so on. You already mentioned a problem there. I can imagine that it is getting tricky with other bytecode-enhancement tools, too. When I have to choose between JPA and OT, the choice is quite easy Wink.

Cheers
ruwen
icon7.gif  Re: The Road Ahead - Request for Feedback [message #630932 is a reply to message #630439] Tue, 05 October 2010 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olaf Otto is currently offline Olaf OttoFriend
Hello ruwen

I couldn't agree more - which is why both Maven and JPA were successfully integrated with OT, see for example Stephans post to the otj-users list:

http://www.objectteams.org/hypermail/otj-users/0216.html

Migrating everything to the eclipse foundation of course means a review of these solutions, and while the JPA support prevailed - as it is based on eclipselink - we will have to rewrite a small portion of the maven support.

Talking of which: We intend to base the new maven support on maven 3 to benefit from the major architectural enhancements to that version and to simplify it to a great extend.

If you want to take a look, getting the BMP-demo:
http://www.objectteams.org/distrib/demos/objectteams-bmp-dem o-0.3-bin.zip
is a good idea, since it shows both the JPA and maven support.

Regards,
Olaf

PS: I ran into a little trouble when starting the unpacked demo because of the JVM I am using; in case you experience the same (java.lang.Error: Unresolved compilation problem) I suggest simply changing into bmp-demo/maven-project, perform "mvn package" and use the resulting zip-file instead of the downloaded one.

[Updated on: Tue, 05 October 2010 16:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: The Road Ahead - Request for Feedback [message #631030 is a reply to message #629583] Tue, 05 October 2010 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, ruwen, for your comment,

So in terms of a roadmap, maven support matching current tool versions
is just around the corner (let us know if you want s.t. now).

Migrating the JPA integration to Eclipse.org is the next place we're heading for.

Combining OT/J with "other bytecode-enhancement tools" will have to be
investigated individually. Did you have any particular tools in mind?

Any other road blocks or obstacles?

best,
Stephan
Re: The Road Ahead - Request for Feedback [message #631031 is a reply to message #631030] Tue, 05 October 2010 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ruwen is currently offline ruwenFriend
Stephan Herrmann wrote on Tue, 05 October 2010 23:26
Thanks, ruwen, for your comment,

is just around the corner (let us know if you want s.t. now).

Migrating the JPA integration to Eclipse.org is the next place we're heading for.

Combining OT/J with "other bytecode-enhancement tools" will have to be
investigated individually. Did you have any particular tools in mind?

Any other road blocks or obstacles?

best,
Stephan

No I don't have any other on my mind since I am not using OT/J at the moment. But I think generally of frameworks which use bytecode-enhancement (for different purposes).

I talked to another N-OT-E guy:
One maybe overlooked use-case of OT could be tests and debugging. Lots of people maybe argue that only the public api of a class should be tested. But there are cases were you wanna test that neat private helper method. Since you can "ignore" visibility with OT, you can easily test them. Using callins you can easily assure that certain methods are not called.

Or you can trace certain calls. Imagine you got a performance problem in a productive live environment. If you created a DebugTeam, which collects verious debug information, you can just switch it on. Of course you can do such stuff with logging. But there are certain points, where OT is superior.

Example:

Under some special circumstances, method foobar() is not only called up to 10 times, it is called 1000 times. But you don't know which conditions lead to that situation. If a team you can set up a counter, which prints all necessary debug information if method foobar is called more that 10 times.

Of course OT can do way more. But maybe this is a possible way how to do the first steps with OT.
Re: The Road Ahead - Request for Feedback [message #633604 is a reply to message #631030] Mon, 18 October 2010 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann wrote on Tue, 05 October 2010 23:26
is just around the corner.

Update: we successful took that corner by now.
Using Maven3 for OT/J projects seems to work pretty
smoothly, have a look at this test project.

Please let us know, if you find issues with this integration.

While researching on the Eclipse strategy for supporting
Maven I came across this bug:
Bug 288644 - Decide of group ids for Eclipse Maven artifacts

By using the groupId org.eclipse our maven artifacts should
be safe for the (near) future including an Eclipse-wide
Maven repository.

best,
Stephan
Re: The Road Ahead - Request for Feedback [message #633848 is a reply to message #630932] Tue, 19 October 2010 15:07 Go to previous message
Olaf Otto wrote on Tue, 05 October 2010 17:36
[...]

If you want to take a look, getting the BMP-demo:
http://www.objectteams.org/distrib/demos/objectteams-bmp-dem o-0.3-bin.zip
is a good idea, since it shows both the JPA and maven support.

Regards,
Olaf

PS: I ran into a little trouble when starting the unpacked demo because of the JVM I am using; in case you experience the same (java.lang.Error: Unresolved compilation problem) I suggest simply changing into bmp-demo/maven-project, perform "mvn package" and use the resulting zip-file instead of the downloaded one.

It seems i had uploaded a broken version of the demo.
I just uploaded a fixed version so that Olaf's workaround
should no longer be needed.

sorry for the confusion,
Stephan
Previous Topic:Callin method, signature, identity
Next Topic:pde build with OT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:56:29 GMT 2024