Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Passphrase fails when using SourceForge
Passphrase fails when using SourceForge [message #629462] Tue, 28 September 2010 11:53 Go to next message
Trevor Campbell is currently offline Trevor CampbellFriend
I have a project on SourceForge using GIT and have been trying to use EGIT to access it, but the "push" fails. When I do a push, I get a dialog asking for a passphrase for ~/.ssh/id_dsa but when I enter the correct passphrase it just reshows the dialog. The only clue I can see is my username on SourceForge is different to my local username.

I can do a "push" from the command line OK.

I am using an up to date Fedora Linux .
Re: Passphrase fails when using SourceForge [message #629734 is a reply to message #629462] Wed, 29 September 2010 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
* Does the user you pass in the ssh URL match your user on SourceForge ?
* Did you use the correct ssh port ?
Re: Passphrase fails when using SourceForge [message #630422 is a reply to message #629734] Sat, 02 October 2010 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trevor Campbell is currently offline Trevor CampbellFriend
Matthias Sohn wrote on Wed, 29 September 2010 08:19
* Does the user you pass in the ssh URL match your user on SourceForge ?
* Did you use the correct ssh port ?

Yes the user in the ssh URL mathces the URL on sourceforge. The URL seems to have been read from the local GIT configuration.

I used the default SSH port , and I am pretty sure it is correct port to use, as it works from the command line.

I have removed my ssh key from the sourceforge site and now I can fetch etc from source forge, but it is obviously a PITA having to enter passwords at the command line and storing ssh keys seems a much better way to go.

Just to restate what happens when I try and connect with the ssh key in place.

From the GIT repository browser,
* I right click and select "fetch" at the project root in the tree
* Click next in the Source GIT Repository page of the wizard (leaving "Configured Remote Repository" selected)
* The Fetch Ref Specifications page the works for a couple of seconds "getting remote branches information" then
* Presents a dialog "Password Required"

• Passphrase for /home/trevor/.ssh/id_dsa
  • User name : trevorcampbell
  • Password :

"trevor" is my user name on my local machine and
"trevorcampbell" is my username on sourceforge.

When I enter the passphrase for the ssh key, the dialog just keeps being reshown.

Regards
Trevor
{My apologies for being slow to follow up}
Re: Passphrase fails when using SourceForge [message #632270 is a reply to message #630422] Tue, 12 October 2010 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Have a look at http://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/User_Guide#Github_Tutorial, this worked for me.

I think your problem is caused by using your username, instead you should use username "git" with github (see [1]).

[1] http://help.github.com/
Re: Passphrase fails when using SourceForge [message #658883 is a reply to message #632270] Thu, 10 March 2011 10:03 Go to previous message
Richard Vodden is currently offline Richard VoddenFriend
If you continue to have this problem, try setting the GIT_SSH environment variable to /usr/bin/ssh before you run eclipse (or wherever you have ssh installed). This fixed everything for me.
Previous Topic:'Auto-fetch' for Synchronize View
Next Topic:Problem with multiple projects sharing a repository.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:19:31 GMT 2024