Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Memory Analyzer » memory increasing(Application using memory increasing)
memory increasing [message #628953] Fri, 24 September 2010 20:55 Go to next message
udaya  is currently offline udaya Friend
I am using an application designed on eclipse 3.5.2.
Even in the idle state its memory consumption goes on increasing.I do think it is for memory leak.

Can anybody say how to stop it?
Re: memory increasing [message #629216 is a reply to message #628953] Mon, 27 September 2010 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Krum Tsvetkov is currently offline Krum TsvetkovFriend
Does the application run at some moment into an OutOfMemoryError? If so, you may configure the JVM to write a heap dump when an OutOfMemoryError occurs, and then analyze the heap dump with Memory Analyzer. I think this blog may be helpful:
http://dev.eclipse.org/blogs/memoryanalyzer/2008/05/27/autom ated-heap-dump-analysis-finding-memory-leaks-with-one-click/

If the application doesn't run into OutOfMemoryErrors, you can still get a heap dump (manuallyl) once the used heap gets too high.
See the "Getting a heap dump" wiki page for some more details:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/MemoryAnalyzer#Getting_a_H eap_Dump

Let me know if this helps.

Krum
Re: memory increasing [message #629585 is a reply to message #629216] Tue, 28 September 2010 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
udaya  is currently offline udaya Friend
Sorry,I am not getting what you have replied.

Actually I am seeing that when the application is only in open state not running any program,at that time the memory used by the application goes on increasing (shown in the task manager).

And I am thinking this may be due to memory leak.(not sure)

Appreciate your help
Re: memory increasing [message #632207 is a reply to message #629585] Tue, 12 October 2010 06:23 Go to previous message
Krum Tsvetkov is currently offline Krum TsvetkovFriend
Hi,

The task manager shows the memory from the OS point of view, not from Java point of view. The Java process usually preallocates some space and then allocates objects inside and the garbage collector eventually frees some objects inside. This behaviour can't be seen in task manager, and therefore you don't see how much of the Java heap is really free.

The Java process (Eclipse) uses also some memory for non-java things.

What I am trying to say - it is difficult to judge if there is a memory leak just by looking at the tak manager. I'd suggest that you wait and see if you encounter some memory problems.

Krum
Previous Topic:"IBM dump (using helper VM)" heap dump provider missing
Next Topic:Thread overview
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 10:27:23 GMT 2024