Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Where do non-Virgo logs end up?
Where do non-Virgo logs end up? [message #628747] Thu, 23 September 2010 22:25 Go to next message
Dennis is currently offline DennisFriend
I am using Atomikos for database access and am getting an error. I am trying to find the error logs from Atomikos (should be tm.out), but they do not seem to be being saved to disk anywhere.

So my question is, does Virgo capture these logs somewhere?

Here is my post on the Atomikos forum if that is helpful:
http://fogbugz.atomikos.com/default.asp?community.6.1748.7
Re: Where do non-Virgo logs end up? [message #628804 is a reply to message #628747] Fri, 24 September 2010 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
The Virgo medic component provides various logging interfaces and I wonder if Atomikos is binding to one of these. But if it was, I would expect the Atomikos log records to appear in serviceability/logs/log.log.

Perhaps the next step is to ask on the Atomikos forum what mechanism Atomikos uses to perform its logging.

You could also explore the wiring to the bundle(s) containing Atomikos and see if any obviously logging-related packages such as slf4j packages are imported by Atomikos and from where. You can explore the wiring most easily using the Equinox console and the ss, bundle, and packages commands. You can enable the Equinox console in Virgo as described in the User Guide - uncomment a line in the user region properties file in the config directory.

I don't know if or how you have converted Atomikos into bundle(s), but one question would be do these bundles have the necessary imports to enable logging to happen. For instance, if there was a missing import for a logging package, then Atomikos could be failing to log due to some kind of class loading error and it may not escalate such errors to console output.

Hope that gives you something to go on.
Re: Where do non-Virgo logs end up? [message #628869 is a reply to message #628804] Fri, 24 September 2010 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To answer your question about the mechanics of Atomikos' logging: JDK logging by default, plus log4j if you put slf4j-log4j jars in your classpath. All my bundles have access to org.apache.log4j and org.apache.commons. So is this something that might be being bound?

Also, is there anyway from the Virgo side to determine if jta.properties is even being loaded from the root of the classpath?

Atomikos has an OSGi version, so I didn't do any conversion.
Re: Where do non-Virgo logs end up? [message #628911 is a reply to message #628804] Fri, 24 September 2010 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So Atomikos expects that the jta.properties file will always be in the root of the application's classpath. For a normal Java application, this wouldn't be a problem. But in the case of OSGi, there is a root classpath for the bundle, but does that equate to the root classpath of the application?

I wonder if Atomikos is looking at the Virgo root classpath instead of the bundle's?

Does Virgo provide any support for libraries that expect something in the root classpath?
Re: Where do non-Virgo logs end up? [message #629335 is a reply to message #628911] Mon, 27 September 2010 20:02 Go to previous message
I was able to resolve my issue over at the Atomikos forum.

Thanks.
Previous Topic:Unable to debug OSGi modules on Virgo in Eclipse
Next Topic:Failed to redeploy/refresh web bundle in virgo server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:17:34 GMT 2024