Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » UML2 Tools » Reorder properties in class?
Reorder properties in class? [message #625516] Tue, 02 March 2010 18:36 Go to next message
Nick  is currently offline Nick Friend
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't find any way to change the order in which class properties appear in the diagram. Is there some keyboard shortcut I am overlooking, or is it really impossible to reorder the properties without deleting and recreating them in the desired order? TIA for any help.

-- Nick
Re: Reorder properties in class? [message #625530 is a reply to message #625516] Tue, 09 March 2010 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vlad Varnica is currently offline Vlad VarnicaFriend
The order of creation is usually the order in which the properties are created. This is an expected way of working for many tools.
Diagram preference allows to show or hide attributes depending on their properties.

EclipseUML Omondo allows to use a small arrow to move up and down properties.
See my demo for more information at:
Flash demo: http://www.download-omondo.com/property_order.swf
standalone for windows:http://www.download-omondo.com/property_order.exe
standalone for Mac: http://www.download-omondo.com/property_order.hqx
Re: Reorder properties in class? [message #625532 is a reply to message #625516] Wed, 10 March 2010 03:46 Go to previous message
Nick  is currently offline Nick Friend
Vlad, thanks for your detailed reply.

I took a look at the Omondo web site and the product seems pretty solid, but I think it will be overkill for the project I'm working on...

I'm pretty happy with most of the functionality provided by the standard UML2 Tools editor, and I've been able to generate a lot of useful code from the XMI just by using XSL. As long as I can generate code from the model, I have 99% of what I need already, so I'm not sure it's worth it to add a large tool like Omondo just for this small bit of functionality.

The ability to reorder properties really feels like it should be a core feature... if someone can point me in the right general direction I'm willing to take a shot at adding the feature; it seems like it shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

I have zero experience hacking Eclipse so if someone can point me toward some information on adding a context menu entry and a keyboard shortcut that would be very helpful. There are some other things I'd like to see keyboard shortcuts for as well (creating a new property or method come to mind); I'll probably add those too while I'm at it, maybe there's a chance the patch will make it in. ;)
Previous Topic:How to retrieve the current package?
Next Topic:Reorder properties in class?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:42:05 GMT 2024