Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » Standalone help -- necessary download unavailable
Standalone help -- necessary download unavailable [message #624223] Wed, 30 June 2010 17:37 Go to next message
Tony E. is currently offline Tony E.Friend
I would be interested in creating a standalone help system, so I looked at the instructions available here:

http://help.eclipse.org/help33/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse. platform.doc.isv/guide/ua_help_setup_standalone.htm

Unfortunately I can't even get started, as the necessary download mentioned in the page, "eclipse Platform Runtime Binary driver", is not available at all from the eclipse download site.

Has this been replaced by something else?
Re: Standalone help -- necessary download unavailable [message #624225 is a reply to message #624223] Thu, 08 July 2010 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
The Platform Runtime Binary still exists on the downloads page, for example on this page for the latest I-Build.

http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/I2010070 6-0800/
Re: Standalone help -- necessary download unavailable [message #624227 is a reply to message #624223] Thu, 08 July 2010 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there a list of drops available somewhere? The latest one doesn't seem to have working Windows x86 binaries.
Re: Standalone help -- necessary download unavailable [message #624234 is a reply to message #624223] Wed, 21 July 2010 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the information. I did indeed mean 32-bit Windows.

That being said I guess the instructions must be out of date on that link in my first post, because none of the instructions seem to work, right down to which .jar files have to be included in a standalone help system (the org.eclipse.tomcat jar file is no longer in the distribution). Also the example commands to start the help system don't seem to work either, I get a java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError message when I try and start it.

The thing is, I'm trying to use Eclipse as an online help system for a web application that's usually deployed with its own Jetty instance. I'm having a rather frustrating time determining if it's even possible to do that...
Re: Standalone help -- necessary download unavailable [message #624235 is a reply to message #624234] Thu, 22 July 2010 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tony E. wrote on Wed, 21 July 2010 14:36
> Thanks for the information. I did indeed mean 32-bit Windows.
>
> [content removed] The link in my first post was to an older version of help, I have found a way to launch the help system.
>
> The thing is, I'm trying to use Eclipse as an online help system for a web application that's usually deployed with its own Jetty instance. I'm having a rather frustrating time determining if it's even possible to do that...

Is this an Eclipse application which already uses the Equinox extensions to launch a Jetty Web server? If so you can launch the help server on another port.
Re: Standalone help -- necessary download unavailable [message #624236 is a reply to message #624223] Thu, 22 July 2010 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, it's a "pure" J2EE app usually deployed in Jetty, but also supported for deployment on a range of other app servers (Websphere, jboss, tomcat, etc.).

My initial idea would be to deploy the help as an application alongside the Java application on an alternate port. However to do that I think I would probably have to package some of the help-specific JARs in a WAR file. As eclipse help now uses Jetty this looks like it should be pretty straightforward... should :roll:

I probably need to read up on Eclipse Help (and the way it's structured) more before that plan can be realized, however...
Re: Standalone help -- necessary download unavailable [message #624238 is a reply to message #624236] Mon, 26 July 2010 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Search for "war" in the Eclipse help system and you will find directions for creating a war file which runs the help system.
Re: Standalone help -- necessary download unavailable [message #624239 is a reply to message #624223] Mon, 26 July 2010 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the pointer!
Re: Standalone help -- necessary download unavailable [message #624348 is a reply to message #624223] Fri, 30 July 2010 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The instructions don't appear to work :( I'm using 3.6 and following these instructions:

http://help.eclipse.org/helios/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse. platform.doc.isv/guide/ua_help_war.htm

I've followed everything to the letter, but when I try and deploy the help application I get a message right away that the server can't find the org.eclipse.equinox.servletbridge framework, even though the jar file is in help/WEB-INF/lib, as per the instructions. At this point I'm starting to think that there's an additional instruction missing.

I'm using a plain-vanilla Jetty 7.1.6 for deployment.
Re: Standalone help -- necessary download unavailable [message #624349 is a reply to message #624223] Fri, 30 July 2010 21:24 Go to previous message
Adding the Equinox (OSGI) framework .jar to the plugins directory of the webapp helps somewhat (no java exception at startup) but there seems to be yet something else still missing as I only get 404s trying to access the help system.
Previous Topic:Standalone infocenter content display on iPad
Next Topic:Defining a search scope using criteria
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 04:01:46 GMT 2024