Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » Property "Unique" for ecore attribute doesn't work
Property "Unique" for ecore attribute doesn't work [message #621445] Fri, 09 October 2009 08:51 Go to next message
Carlos  is currently offline Carlos Friend
Hi.

I want to define an ecore attribute (metamodel) which value can't occur more than once in the model.
For making that, I use the ecore editor (properties view) and set the property "Unique" to value "true".
However, when I execute the program, the editor don't check this issue, and I can add several items which contains the same value for that attribute.
The editor indicates for Unique property "Whether the same value may occur more than once". I have tried to set the value to "false", but the I get the same result.
Is this a bug or I have to use other property to get a "primary key"?

Thanks in advance.
Carlos.
Re: Property "Unique" for ecore attribute doesn't work [message #621446 is a reply to message #621445] Fri, 09 October 2009 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Carlos,

This sounds like https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=289200

Carlos wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I want to define an ecore attribute (metamodel) which value can't
> occur more than once in the model.
> For making that, I use the ecore editor (properties view) and set the
> property "Unique" to value "true".
> However, when I execute the program, the editor don't check this
> issue, and I can add several items which contains the same value for
> that attribute.
> The editor indicates for Unique property "Whether the same value may
> occur more than once". I have tried to set the value to "false", but
> the I get the same result.
> Is this a bug or I have to use other property to get a "primary key"?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Carlos.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Property "Unique" for ecore attribute doesn't work [message #621459 is a reply to message #621445] Tue, 13 October 2009 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ed,

I have tried to update the EMF package:

EMF SDK 2.6.0M2 S200909211047 (EMF + XSD)

but when I install the package, the installer shows the next message.
Where can I get "org.eclipse.ui.ide [3.6.0,4.0.0)"?
I have been looking for that release, but I don't have found it.
------------
Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
Software being installed: EMF Sample Ecore Editor 2.6.0.v200909211047 (org.eclipse.emf.ecore.editor.feature.group 2.6.0.v200909211047)
Missing requirement: EMF Sample Ecore Editor 2.6.0.v200909211047 (org.eclipse.emf.ecore.editor 2.6.0.v200909211047) requires 'bundle org.eclipse.ui.ide [3.6.0,4.0.0)' but it could not be found
Cannot satisfy dependency:
From: EMF Sample Ecore Editor 2.6.0.v200909211047 (org.eclipse.emf.ecore.editor.feature.group 2.6.0.v200909211047)
To: org.eclipse.emf.ecore.editor [2.6.0.v200909211047]
--------------

Thanks in advance.
Carlos.
Re: Property "Unique" for ecore attribute doesn't work [message #621463 is a reply to message #621445] Tue, 13 October 2009 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed,

I have installed Helios distribution, and after that, I have installed EMF: "eclipse-SDK-3.6M2-win32".

When I define an entity attribute in my metamodel, I hope that in runtime, I should not be able to create two or more entities with the same value for that attribute (it was defined like unique).
However, I can do that.

I think that when I open a model with the editor in runtime, editor might should show the error of duplicate attribute in the "problems" tab, like occurs with other type of errors.
Is this OK?
In other case, what can be happening?

Thanks.
Re: Property "Unique" for ecore attribute doesn't work [message #621464 is a reply to message #621463] Tue, 13 October 2009 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carlos,

I believe you're misinterpreting what unique means. It means that, for
a multi-valued feature, any given value can appear at most once. It
doesn't mean that two different objects can't have the same value for
that feature; that's more like having isID be true.

Carlos wrote:
> Ed,
>
> I have installed Helios distribution, and after that, I have installed
> EMF: "eclipse-SDK-3.6M2-win32".
>
> When I define an entity attribute in my metamodel, I hope that in
> runtime, I should not be able to create two or more entities with the
> same value for that attribute (it was defined like unique).
> However, I can do that.
>
> I think that when I open a model with the editor in runtime, editor
> might should show the error of duplicate attribute in the "problems"
> tab, like occurs with other type of errors.
> Is this OK? In other case, what can be happening?
>
> Thanks.

Ed Merks
Re: Property "Unique" for ecore attribute doesn't work [message #621465 is a reply to message #621445] Tue, 13 October 2009 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed,

I really was using both issues...
Besides setting the attribute like "unique" (my mistake of conception for that property), I was setting the property "ID" to "true" too.
So, the editor should show a message in "problems" tab indicating that the model has several entities with the same id, or not?

Is there any way to get this function?

Thank you very much.
Re: Property "Unique" for ecore attribute doesn't work [message #621466 is a reply to message #621465] Tue, 13 October 2009 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carlos,

You have to invoke "Validate..." for the generated editor in check for
all the constraint violations.

Carlos wrote:
> Ed,
> I really was using both issues...
> Besides setting the attribute like "unique" (my mistake of conception
> for that property), I was setting the property "ID" to "true" too.
> So, the editor should show a message in "problems" tab indicating that
> the model has several entities with the same id, or not?
>
> Is there any way to get this function?
>
> Thank you very much.
>

Ed Merks
Re: Property "Unique" for ecore attribute doesn't work [message #1746762 is a reply to message #621466] Fri, 04 November 2016 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Hello Ed, I have experienced a similar problem. There is a reference list from A to B, in other words A has an attribute list<B> and this reference is set to be unique. I even put two OCL constraints stating the list should contain only unique elements (based on the element's id and based on the element's reference).

Despite all of this, I can create a model instance that has non-unique reference list and the validator validates successfully.

My Eclipse configuration is: Version: Mars.2 Release (4.5.2) , Build id: 20160218-0600.
Re: Property "Unique" for ecore attribute doesn't work [message #1746769 is a reply to message #1746762] Fri, 04 November 2016 11:28 Go to previous message
You're posting a very old thread. You talk about reference list from A to B and then talk about an attribute list and about setting unique. In general multi-valued references are always unique even if you set unique to be false. You claim you can create a model instance that has a non-unique reference list. But I don't know how you did that, and I can't verify anything like that without a test case. Your post contains no question and the image tells me nothing about your problem.

Ed Merks
Previous Topic:EMF Forms RAP application with texo json webservice
Next Topic:[TEXO] creating a Map attribute
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 06:48:15 GMT 2024