Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Galileo's P2 doesn't recognize previously working plugin
Galileo's P2 doesn't recognize previously working plugin [message #604617] Thu, 11 February 2010 01:52
Alan  is currently offline Alan Friend
I have a plugin that was previously working under the older update style (3.3 and 3.4). I am trying to get this to work under Galileo's Equinox P2 and I am running into all sorts of frustrating problems... I followed the Eclipse online help to use the tool to create the content.xml and artifacts.xml files. This is the command (in a batch file, hence the carats):

eclipse ^
-application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.metadata.generator.EclipseGenerator ^
-source C:/svn/trunk/SblPlugins/ant.build.result ^
-metadataRepository file:c:/alan_eclipse1 ^
-metadataRepositoryName "MySampleTestSite" ^
-artifactRepository file:c:/alan_eclipse1 ^
-artifactRepositoryName "MySampleArtifacts" ^
-publishArtifacts ^
-publishArtifactRepository ^
-site C:/svn/trunk/SblPlugins/ant.build.result ^
-vmargs -Xmx256m

I use this on an update site that was created and which works on the older format. The parameters cause everything to be moved to a "c:/alan_eclipse1" directory.

After the addition of the P2 support files, I open Galileo and attempt to point the new software install location to the said directory.

At this point I only get a "There are no categorized items" message next to the checkbox. In comparing the generated content.xml file with those of other, working, sites, I can see that I am missing a block similar to:

<unit id='Designer' version='0.0.0'>
<properties size='2'>
<property name='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.name' value='Designer'/>
<property name='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.type.category' value='true'/>
</properties>
<provides size='1'>
<provided namespace='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu' name='Designer' version='0.0.0'/>
</provides>
<requires size='2'>
<required namespace='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu' name='com.instantiations.designer.feature.group' range='[6.9.4.r35x201001260936,6.9.4.r35x201001260936]'/>
<required namespace='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu' name='com.instantiations.wbpro.feature.feature.group' range='[6.9.4.r35x201001261007,6.9.4.r35x201001261007]'/>
</requires>
<touchpoint id='null' version='0.0.0'/>
</unit>

This is where things get very confusing. The original site.xml does have a category in it but this seems to be ignored. :(

I should also note that when I upload all of the files to a web server and attempt to discover the plugin there, I get an error indicating that there is a problem getting the feature.xml file. However, I am assuming this will all go away when I have a correctly generated content.xml file.

PLEASE HELP! I have been banging my head on the wall trying to solve this. P2 has been a major headache. Everything 'says' that it should be an easy change, but I am not having that experience. :(

Thank you in advance for your help!
Previous Topic:Galileo's P2 doesn't recognize previously working plugin
Next Topic:Including source code in site build from UI
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 18:56:19 GMT 2024