Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » AspectJ » Eclipse asking over and over to enable JDT Weaving
Eclipse asking over and over to enable JDT Weaving [message #600797] Wed, 10 February 2010 23:41 Go to next message
Graham Mitchell is currently offline Graham MitchellFriend
So I want to enable JDT Weaving - in fact, as far as I knew it was enabled - but when I started Eclipse I got the prompt, so I clicked to enable it and restarted. However, it prompted me again, so I clicked to enable again and restarted again, after which... well, you get the idea.

I can't seem to get JDT Weaving enabled. I've tried it through the prompt and through Preferences, restarting immediately or in a bit, uninstalling and reinstalling the AJDT/weaving plugins - nothing seems to help. Any ideas?
Re: Eclipse asking over and over to enable JDT Weaving [message #600802 is a reply to message #600797] Sat, 20 February 2010 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Moser is currently offline Michael MoserFriend
Alas I have to chime in here: I am observing the same!

I just installed the AspectJ Development Tools 2.0.2.e35x-20100105-0900 as
well as all "Other AJDT Tools" from AJDT Update Site -
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/ajdt/35/update into my plain vanilla
3.5/Galileo and now I am getting these popup whenever I start eclipse. JDT
Weaving (in preferences) also remains "DISABLED".

Ideas welcome!

M.
Re: Eclipse asking over and over to enable JDT Weaving [message #600835 is a reply to message #600797] Wed, 24 February 2010 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew Eisenberg is currently offline Andrew EisenbergFriend
Hi,

Apologies for the late reply here, but here are some things you can try:

1. Go to your plugin registry view.
2. Look for the org.eclipse.equinox.weaving.aspectj bundle.
3. Right click on it. Select "Enable advanced operations".
4. Right click again and select start (if it's not already started).
5. Go to the eclipse/configuration/config.ini file on your file system and open in a text editor.
6. Do you see a line that looks like osgi.framework.extensions=org.eclipse.equinox.weaving.hook?
7. If not, then add it.
8. Restart Eclipse.

Is JDT Weaving enabled? If not, then there is likely a conflict somewhere. Perhaps you have multiple versions of aspectj or equinox weaving installed. Try this:

1. Go to your plugin registry view.
2. Look for the org.aspectj.weaver bundle.
3. You should see only one installed.
4. Also look for this bundle: com.springsource.org.aspectj.weaver
5. Look for the org.eclipse.equinox.weaving.aspectj bundle. You should see only one.
6. Now if you've found any duplicates, you can remove them from your installation.
7. open in a text editor eclipse/configuration/org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator /bundles.info
8. make a backup of this file!
9. If you found any duplicate versions of bundles above, remove all but the newest.
10. If you've found com.springsource.org.aspectj.weaver, then remove all references to org.aspectj.weaver
11. Save and restart and re-enable JDT Weaving.
12. Working?

Hope this can help you. Please report back your findings.
Re: Eclipse asking over and over to enable JDT Weaving [message #600847 is a reply to message #600835] Fri, 26 February 2010 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Moser is currently offline Michael MoserFriend
"Andrew Eisenberg" <andrew@eisenberg.as> wrote in message
news:hm3kiu$ilu$1@build.eclipse.org...
> Hi,
>
> Apologies for the late reply here, but here are some things you can try:
>
> 1. Go to your plugin registry view. 2. Look for the
> org.eclipse.equinox.weaving.aspectj bundle. 3. Right click on it. Select
> "Enable advanced operations". 4. Right click again and select start (if
> it's not already started).
> 5. Go to the eclipse/configuration/config.ini file on your file system and
> open in a text editor.
> 6. Do you see a line that looks like
> osgi.framework.extensions=org.eclipse.equinox.weaving.hook? 7. If not,
> then add it.
> 8. Restart Eclipse. ...
> Hope this can help you. Please report back your findings.

The first section up to point 4 did it for me. It's now working. And, alas,
eclipse startup times have become substantially longer (maybe 2x compared to
before/). But according to the docs that was to be expected...

Thanks,
Michael
Re: Eclipse asking over and over to enable JDT Weaving [message #600859 is a reply to message #600797] Tue, 02 March 2010 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sharon  is currently offline Sharon Friend
Hi All,
I just spent a frustrating few hours seeing this behavior. But then I found out it was something really silly, so just in case this helps anyone I thought I would share it. When I started up eclipse, I had the -clean option specified, and I kept seeing exactly the behavior described above. When I turned this off, the problem went away.
Re: Eclipse asking over and over to enable JDT Weaving [message #600953 is a reply to message #600835] Thu, 22 April 2010 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Wall is currently offline Steve WallFriend
Hello All,
I'm experiencing intermittent behavior starting eclipse. I'm using STS 2.3.2 flavor.Sometimes it gets a loop asking if I want to turn weaving on. I say yes, restart and the dialog appears again. Adding the following to config.ini seems to fix it for a while.

osgi.framework.extensions=reference\:file\:mailto:org.eclipse.equinox.weaving.aspectj@2\:start

But then it starts happening again. Looks like a timing issue to me. Where one plugin removes the reference and one adds it. I followed Andrew's suggestion "10. If you've found com.springsource.org.aspectj.weaver, then remove all references to org.aspectj.weaver". But on restart received errors related to methods defined in .aj files. Luckily I followed the directions and made a backup. Restoring the backup fixed the
errors.

It seems the question that needs answering surrounds what plugin are conflicting. Thoughts?
Thanks,
Steve
Re: Eclipse asking over and over to enable JDT Weaving [message #600957 is a reply to message #600953] Thu, 22 April 2010 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Graham Mitchell is currently offline Graham MitchellFriend
I noticed mine started doing it again, too, though just a couple days after that my laptop was replaced with a new one and I haven't seen the issue on this one so far. I hadn't done anything unusual when it started recurring.
Re: Eclipse asking over and over to enable JDT Weaving [message #600962 is a reply to message #600953] Thu, 22 April 2010 18:17 Go to previous message
Andrew Eisenberg is currently offline Andrew EisenbergFriend
Hi Steve,

There are conflicts between org.aspectj.weaver and com.springsource.org.aspectj.weaver. The second one is only present if you are using STS. It is usually the case that when you enable JDT weaving all the steps above are done for you, but sometimes things don't work out well. This can be the case when there is an exception thrown on shutdown, preventing the IDEs state from being saved (the exception can be completely unrelated to AJDT).

It could be that when you disabled com.springsource.org.aspectj.weaver, org.aspectj.weaver was also disabled. And that is why you were seeing problems in your editor. It is sometimes hard to know exactly why this happened, but going through the manual steps to enable JDT weaving will fix things.
Previous Topic:Eclipse asking over and over to enable JDT Weaving
Next Topic:Override @GeneratedValue annotation with AspectJ
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:29:33 GMT 2024