Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Riena » How to build Riena from source?
How to build Riena from source? [message #585898] Sun, 20 June 2010 22:20 Go to next message
Christian Kesselheim is currently offline Christian KesselheimFriend
Me again,

I wonder what's the best way to build the whole of Riena (target platform components) from source?! I've imported the Team Project Set file bundled with org.eclipse.riena.releng, but still see a lot of errors and unsolved dependencies.

For example, what's the target platform definition I need to use? I suppose the one that comes with org.eclipse.riena.ui.templates should suffice for building the toolset component at least, but since it complains about a number of unresolved installable units when opened I also wonder whether or not its still being actively maintained.

Also, why are there 3 different plug-ins starting in org.eclipse.riena.build*? Which one's currently being used?

Any hints for me where to start looking? Is there perhaps some magic Wiki page on building Riena from source that I managed to miss so far :)?

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Re: How to build Riena from source? [message #585943 is a reply to message #585898] Tue, 22 June 2010 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Campo is currently offline Christian CampoFriend
Am 21.06.10 00:20, schrieb Christian Kesselheim:
> Me again,
>
> I wonder what's the best way to build the whole of Riena (target
> platform components) from source?! I've imported the Team Project Set
> file bundled with org.eclipse.riena.releng, but still see a lot of
> errors and unsolved dependencies.
>
> For example, what's the target platform definition I need to use? I
> suppose the one that comes with org.eclipse.riena.ui.templates should
> suffice for building the toolset component at least, but since it
> complains about a number of unresolved installable units when opened I
> also wonder whether or not its still being actively maintained.
>
> Also, why are there 3 different plug-ins starting in
> org.eclipse.riena.build*? Which one's currently being used?
>
> Any hints for me where to start looking? Is there perhaps some magic
> Wiki page on building Riena from source that I managed to miss so far :)?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Chris
>
>
Hi Chris,

If you like to have Riena in your workspace you need to installed Equinox SDK and RCP SDK into a new target platform and
activate that target platform. You can easily do that using the Helios repo and that should be it.

That is true for the Riena runtime pieces.

You need a second workspace to deal with the Riena toolbox. The target platform there is just the IDE and there is a
seperate releng for the toolbox o.e.r.toolbox.releng.
When you install the Riena Toolbox one of the benefits is that a .target file that is anywhere within the plugins is
offered to become a new target. So say you have that installed as an IDE plugin, you can easily activate the definition
in o.e.r.ui.templates called riena_2.0.0.target which is the target definition for creating Riena-based applications.

Building Riena in a build process is a little tricky and we were fighting with our build since the beginning. Elias now
helped us create a build project org.eclipse.riena.build3 that finally does it all. So build and build2 are just
previous attempts to build Riena.

However the build only runs on windows and need to have a set of files and a certain directory structure that we havnt
come around to describe anywhere. If you like to have your own build running as a headless build, I think a good first
step would be to open a bug and push us to describe that directory structure for you :-)

regards
christian
Re: How to build Riena from source? [message #585953 is a reply to message #585898] Tue, 22 June 2010 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks a lot, that really helped. Since we're planning on using Riena for our next RCP solution (and I guess there will come the time when we'll want to do our own patches and bug-fixes), I'm currently thinking about setting-up a private nightly build of Riena on our company's own Hudson server. So perhaps I'll have to file that "describe your directory structure" bug request you've mentioned after all :).

So far, my main source of confusion stems from the fact that importing the Riena Team Project Set from CVS doesn't seem to produce an error-free workspace configuration, at least not for me.

For example:

1. org.sl4j.* is missing while org.apache.log4j is not. Since org.sl4j.log4j also contains its own version of log4j (and is installed in the Riena target platform by default), the compiler seems so get confused and prefers the (outdated) target platform log4j over the one I have locally checked-out. As a result, recent changes in log4j (e.g. Category.setLevel) will not be visible and produce a problem marker in org.eclipse.riena.core. Checking out a fresh org.sl4j.* from Orbit CVS makes the problem go away, so I wonder if this should not be included in the team project set by default.

2. Bundles like org.eclipse.riena.exceptionmanager and org.eclipse.riena.workspace have broken imports (e.g. ServiceInjector) or dependencies (e.g. dependency on org.eclipse.riena.ui.core missing), so I wonder if these bundles are actively maintained/required at this point in time.

3. Bundles like org.eclipse.riena.ui.tests or org.eclipse.riena.security.services.config don't compile at all for me (source directory/class reference missing).

As soon as I get this working for me (and my Hudson) I might publish the results as part of some blog, so you can review and laugh at my rookie mistakes :).
Re: How to build Riena from source? [message #585965 is a reply to message #585898] Wed, 23 June 2010 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Argh, my mistake indeed. At some point I decided to create a GIT mirror of the Riena CVS repository and then clone & serve my sandbox from there. I then simply forgot to "filter" projects again (against the project set) when re-importing them into Eclipse.

Building my target platform by hand instead of using a physical target definition file (effectively by-passing the P2 Planner here) also makes the sl4j vs. log4j confusion go away.

I'm always surprised by the somewhat disproportional complexity of Eclipse topics like provisioning (P2) and head-less build (PDE Build, Buckminster, Tycho, etc.) when compared to some of the more runtime-oriented concepts, such as basic RCP UI, branding, help system or even Riena.

Anyway, thanks (again!) for your kind help and suggestions. It's deeply appreciated :).

Cheers,

Chris
Re: How to build Riena from source? [message #585974 is a reply to message #585965] Wed, 23 June 2010 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Am 23.06.10 14:15, schrieb Christian Kesselheim:
> Argh, my mistake indeed. At some point I decided to create a GIT mirror
> of the Riena CVS repository and then clone & serve my sandbox from
> there. I then simply forgot to "filter" projects again (against the
> project set) when re-importing them into Eclipse.
>
> Building my target platform by hand instead of using a physical target
> definition file (effectively by-passing the P2 Planner here) also makes
> the sl4j vs. log4j confusion go away.
>
> I'm always surprised by the somewhat disproportional complexity of
> Eclipse topics like provisioning (P2) and head-less build (PDE Build,
> Buckminster, Tycho, etc.) when compared to some of the more
> runtime-oriented concepts, such as basic RCP UI, branding, help system
> or even Riena.
>
> Anyway, thanks (again!) for your kind help and suggestions. It's deeply
> appreciated :).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
I am sure you did not create your own Git mirror from CVS but knew :-) that the Eclipse foundation is actually already
doing that for all Eclipse projects providing a readonly Git repo as listed here http://dev.eclipse.org/git/index.html

So Riena is in a pretty up-to-date version right here git://dev.eclipse.org/org.eclipse.riena/org.eclipse.riena.gi t

Again that wouldnt help you with sorting out the redundant projects.....maybe now that the release is over, I will take
the time and ask the webmaster to delete those projects.

christian
Re: How to build Riena from source? [message #585985 is a reply to message #585898] Wed, 23 June 2010 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
> I am sure you did not create your own Git mirror from CVS but knew :) that the Eclipse foundation is actually already
> doing that for all Eclipse projects providing a readonly Git repo as listed here http://dev.eclipse.org/git/index.html

Indeed I didn't. Another hour of my lifetime wasted, I guess :). Thanks again for the tip.
Re: How to build Riena from source? [message #586211 is a reply to message #585898] Fri, 02 July 2010 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After hours of trial and error (my custom build of Riena just wouldn't work properly at run-runtime), I just discovered that the Riena GIT repository is most probably broken and will have to be re-created (I think):

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=318766

Of all the possible root causes for my troubles, a broken CVS-GIT synchronization process at Eclipse.org was probably the last thing I'd ever have considered...

Strange world. :?
Re: How to build Riena from source? [message #586220 is a reply to message #586211] Mon, 05 July 2010 06:30 Go to previous message
Am 03.07.10 00:18, schrieb Christian Kesselheim:
> After hours of trial and error (my custom build of Riena just wouldn't
> work properly at run-runtime), I just discovered that the Riena GIT
> repository is most probably broken and will have to be re-created (I
> think):
>
> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=318766
>
> Of all the possible root causes for my troubles, a broken CVS-GIT
> synchronization process at Eclipse.org was probably the last thing I'd
> ever have considered...
>
> Strange world. :?

First of all, you are really a brave guy trying to get the build running without a proper description......

The riena-build3 (and I hope that is what you are using) is build using CVS checkouts. So you dont really need a Git
mirror in order to build. However it uses checkouts using ssh which you cant do, since you are no committer. Still you
could the pserver access. There are sometimes sync issues with the pserver mirror, but they only stay around for a few
hours.

Second I am not really sure I understand WHY you want to run your own build ? Isnt the version in the Helios repo and
the milestones that we provide not good enough for any reason ?

christian
Previous Topic:Unit testing "ordinary" IController implementations
Next Topic:How to build Riena from source?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 18:18:17 GMT 2024