Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Riena » Using RemoteServices & EJB Container
Using RemoteServices & EJB Container [message #585493] Mon, 17 May 2010 14:02 Go to next message
Hannes Mintz is currently offline Hannes MintzFriend
Hi!

At first congrats to a good framework idea.

I am especially interested in the RemoteService architecture. Maybe you can give me some best practices facing RemoteServices in conjunction with access to EJB's. My idea is to combine the Riena RemoteServices as client-server interface in oder to access a classic JEE5 or JEE6 server environment (with JBoss if possible). Are there any best practices how to realize such a solution? Or maybe you can give me some hints how you implement your RemoteServices to process your business processes?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards
Hannes Mintz
Re: Using RemoteServices & EJB Container [message #585551 is a reply to message #585493] Wed, 19 May 2010 10:57 Go to previous message
Christian Campo is currently offline Christian CampoFriend
Hi Hannes,

I am glad you like it :-). We use Remote Services with the Hessian protocol from www.caucho.com.

You can of course run Riena (the server parts of it) with equinox and its server parts. That runs in the embedded Jetty
or Tomcat or JBoss or any J2EE compliant Webcontainer or application server.

A good recommendation from me would be to avoid all J2EE stuff on the client but use Riena's remote service to the
server and from there you can use EJBs, SOA or whatever fits you best.

There are number of pages and wikis under the name server-side eclipse or server-side equinox where you can find a
description how to setup a .WAR for equinox (I just googled this one
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-06-2008/jw-06-osgi3.ht ml but I am sure there are many others)

Remote Services are really just OSGi Services that happen to be on the server and are therefore remote (from the
client). There is a Riena bundle org.eclipse.riena.server that contains all bundles that need for riena on the server.

I highly recommend that you minimize the number of remote service calls per mouse click. So dont necessarily reuse
existing OSGi Services (that were created for other purposes) but write a remote service interface that fits best to
supply the data that you need for the action that the user required in this moment. So searching in a customer database
is a good example. If the search result contains 20 entries, dont load the complete customer record and return an array
of 20 customer records in the Remote Service but rather create Transport Value Object (PoJo's basically) that contain
the fields that are displayed for the result on the table and only when the user decide to load a specific record then
you load that customer record (using another remote service call). So taylor the remote service to your needs in the UI.

That minimizes the database access and also minimizes the usage of bandwidth.

Any more questions that I can answer ? Let me know

christian

Am 17.05.10 16:02, schrieb hannes.mintz@gmail.com:
> Hi!
>
> At first congrats to a good framework idea.
> I am especially interested in the RemoteService architecture. Maybe you
> can give me some best practices facing RemoteServices in conjunction
> with access to EJB's. My idea is to combine the Riena RemoteServices as
> client-server interface in oder to access a classic JEE5 or JEE6 server
> environment (with JBoss if possible). Are there any best practices how
> to realize such a solution? Or maybe you can give me some hints how you
> implement your RemoteServices to process your business processes?
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Kind regards
> Hannes Mintz
Previous Topic:Modify default perspective
Next Topic:Modify default perspective
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:40:54 GMT 2024