Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » General (non-technical) » Eclipse Foundation » Test Driven Development for RCP Webinar - May 27
Test Driven Development for RCP Webinar - May 27 [message #58737] Fri, 08 May 2009 17:35 Go to next message
Lynn Gayowski is currently offline Lynn GayowskiFriend
Leveraging good Test Driven Development (TDD) practices while writing rich
client applications with Eclipse RCP is not only possible, it’s practical.
Kevin Taylor is presenting a webinar to review the basics of TDD and
demonstrate the flow of writing great unit tests and then making them pass
in an Eclipse RCP application. Topics will include TDD, JUnit, PDEUnit and
MVP vs. MVC. (Material adapted from Kevin's highly-rated EclipseCon 2009
tutorial.)

Test Driven Development Best Practices for Eclipse RCP
May 27, 2009 at 9:00 am PST / 12:00 pm EST / 4:00 pm GMT
Presented by Kevin Taylor
To register email webinar-rcp at eclipse dot org

For more information on this and other Eclipse webinars, visit
http://live.eclipse.org/. Special thanks to Adobe for contributing their
Adobe Acrobat Connect product to host the webinar.
Re: Test Driven Development for RCP Webinar - May 27 [message #488866 is a reply to message #58737] Wed, 30 September 2009 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Donald Bell is currently offline Donald BellFriend
I found the webinar useful.

The outstanding issue and question I have is that in the webinar it seems like PDE JUnit Launcher was launching the target Eclipse and running the unit tests in a matter of seconds.

I am developing a plug-in that requires other 3rd party plug-ins and the launching in my environment is taking 2 to 3 minutes to launch the Eclipse product and then my unit tests run in a matter of seconds. I am left scratching my head as to how to do effective TDD with the 2 to 3 minute launch lag.

How do I from a time effective perspective launch and continually re-run my unit tests within a running target Eclipse product?

Is there something simple in the launcher and the launched target that lets me run my unit test suite multiple times?

Re: Test Driven Development for RCP Webinar - May 27 [message #489462 is a reply to message #488866] Sat, 03 October 2009 13:01 Go to previous message
Kevin Taylor is currently offline Kevin TaylorFriend
Hi Donald,

I am glad you enjoyed the presentation.

Make sure you are only loading the essential plug-ins needed by your tests.

I recommend also separating out tests that require a running workbench and treat those as integration tests (vs traditional unit tests). Keep them in a different src tree from your fast running, traditional unit tests. This allows you to run your unit tests frequently and your integration tests less frequently.

I am very aggressive in trying to isolate as much of MY code as possible from any dependencies on the workbench.

If you have a lot of tests that rely on the workbench running then you should consider creating mocks of the slow loading plug-ins that your tests interact with.

HTH.

--Kevin
Previous Topic:Call for Posters at Eclipse Summit Europe
Next Topic:MOSKittDay/EclipseDay in Valencia (December, 1st 2009)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:14:11 GMT 2024