Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » staged files commit
staged files commit [message #578107] Thu, 11 March 2010 09:29 Go to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Hi, i'm a newbie with EGit and i have a question:

i set up my workspace by importing a GIT repository and it worked fine. Now i make a change on a file and i want to commit it: if i right click on the file and select team --> commit, the commit works but i have the "staged" icon (the back-white star) close to the changed file within the eclipse explorer, but that file changes are not on the remote git , i just have it locally.
I worked with SVN and with it the commit are more easy to do. Maybe i miss something with GIT :)

How can i commit changes on the remote git repository? could anyone help me?

thanks a lot
Re: staged files commit [message #578135 is a reply to message #578107] Thu, 11 March 2010 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Lay is currently offline Stefan LayFriend
Hi ,

> i set up my workspace by importing a GIT repository and it worked fine.
> Now i make a change on a file and i want to commit it: if i right click on
> the file and select team --> commit, the commit works but i have the
> "staged" icon (the back-white star) close to the changed file within the
> eclipse explorer

Normally, after you have committed the change of the file, there should not
be the "staged" decoration anymore but the "tracked" decoration (Please see
the preferences for a description of the decoration). Maybe that is a
refresh problem?

> , but that file changes are not on the remote git , i just have it
> locally.

Git is a distributed version control system. That means that the import from
a remote location creates a complete repository on your local file system.
You can commit, branch and tag on this local repository. If you want to
bring your changes to a remote repository you normally use the command
"push". In EGit this is available at the context menu of a shared project.
Note that you may push to any remote repository, not necessarily the one you
imported from.

> I worked with SVN and with it the commit are more easy to do. Maybe i miss
> something with GIT :)

I recommend you to have a look at some introductory text, e.g.
http://progit.org/book/ Many things are different to SVN in a distributed
version control system like Git.

Stefan
Re: staged files commit [message #579383 is a reply to message #578107] Tue, 13 April 2010 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe Shelton is currently offline Joe SheltonFriend
I am having the same problem with confusion between dirty/staged states of a modified file after a commit. I'm pretty sure it's not a refresh issue. I am also new to both git and Egit, but I did a little investigation using git status from the command line.

Starting with a clean, tracked file tree, git status says nothing changed or staged, as it should.

After making a change to a file and saving, it gets a "dirty" decoration in Eclipse. git status says the file is "Changed but not updated".

After performing a commit in Eclipse, the "dirty" decoration is removed and "staged" is added. git status has file under "Changes to be committed:". This means staged, right?

At this point, I have to stop using Eclipse and do a commit from the command line, in order to get the staged file commited. Trying to commit again in Eclipse just gives the "nothing to commit" message.

Eclipse: v3.5.2
EGit/JGit: v0.7.1
Re: staged files commit [message #579672 is a reply to message #579383] Sun, 25 April 2010 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Revillini is currently offline James RevilliniFriend
Same deal here. Whew ... thought I was going nuts. I'm on Apatana Studio 2.0 standalone on Ubuntu 10.04.

What I don't get is how the history (right-click project > Team > Show in Resource History) can show all the things I've committed in different commits, but when I 'git status' on the command line, all those files I've committed are listed as modified/staged. 'git commit -a' indeed lists them all as having changes ready to commit.

Also, history (right-click project > Team > Show in Resource History) will show, for each item in the history, all the actions for each file, be it adds, deletes, ignores - whatever. 'git log' on the CL shows those commits but not files affected by the commit.

I don't know a heck of a lot about git yet, so I'll just ask: is EGit making all these commits to the index and not to the repo? Does git have the ability to track commits to the index (like a subcommit or something) and commits to the repo? If so, does EGit have some other hidden thing to make a true commit to the repo?

Thoroughly Confused,
James
Re: staged files commit [message #579691 is a reply to message #578107] Sun, 25 April 2010 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK I think I figured it out. I think it's permission changes. What?! Yes, that's what I said.

So like I said, I had a bunch of 'staged' (*) symbols on just about everything, and the commit dialog was showing nothing to commit. So I went to command line, ran a 'git commit,' typed my message, and made the commit. I went back into Aptana/Eclipse and all the little icons went to the happy yellow can (I love the happy yellow can, by the way). I again reviewed the history. Nothing different about the latest commit. I clicked on one of the files - .htaccess to be specific - and read the message about it. Lo and behold:

---------------------------------- .htaccess ----------------------------------
old mode 100644new mode 100755
index d635769..d635769

OK, first of all, does the git repo really care about permissions?! Wouldn't the permissions inherit whatever they are on the target system when someone clones the repo?

Second, should I file a bug about the commit dialog in EGit? Seems it should check the permissions and allow a commit of a file whose permissions have changed but whose content has not necessarily changed. The project explorer clearly knows about permission changes. Did the dialog devs try to write their own 'is_this_dirty' method for just the dialog?

Happily Buried in Yellow Cans,
James
Re: staged files commit [message #580052 is a reply to message #578107] Thu, 06 May 2010 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here, look. Even after chowning the whole thing back to the user I'm logged in as and chmodding the directory recursively to 766, EGit still knows about the change but won't check it in.

git commit -a at the command line yields stuff like:

$ git commit -a -m "trying to fix issue in Aptana where it won't check in permission changes"
[master 5d2ac8b] trying to fix issue in Aptana where it won't check in permission changes
5 files changed, 0 insertions(+), 0 deletions(-)
mode change 100644 => 100755 .gitignore

In Aptana, I'm back to yellow cans.

Can you help me summarize the bug so when I submit it, they don't throw it back at me on a technicality? I know I won't phrase it write, but I can write up the summary and reproduce procedure.

Thanks.
Re: staged files commit [message #580188 is a reply to message #578107] Mon, 10 May 2010 12:29 Go to previous message
Phil is currently offline PhilFriend
Hi, just wanted to add my 2p worth...

There definitely appears to be an issue here as this bug has been reported on at least three separate occasions: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=295939, https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=307560 and https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=312164

Quote:
> If you check it in, then yes, it should stop bugging you.

I think the problem here is that eclipse is displaying the file as modified (because of the permissions change) but you are not able to commit that change using eGit itself - to rectify the problem you must do a manual commit from the command line.

James has written a good walk through of how to reproduce the error in #312164.
Previous Topic:staged files commit
Next Topic:mutli-projects repository
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:33:31 GMT 2024