Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » assume unchanged
assume unchanged [message #576997] Wed, 27 January 2010 16:37 Go to next message
Clint Modien is currently offline Clint ModienFriend
So I inadvertently clicked the assume unchanged link on my whole project...

In order to undo this I had to run this command...

git update-index --really-refresh --no-assume-unchanged ./*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

Maybe there should be a way to undo this from the plugin?
Re: assume unchanged [message #577060 is a reply to message #576997] Sat, 30 January 2010 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robin Rosenberg is currently offline Robin RosenbergFriend
Add to Version Control has the side affect of clearing the assume-unchanged flag. Other than that, I agree that it should be possible to clear it without updating the index.
Re: assume unchanged [message #1819047 is a reply to message #577060] Mon, 06 January 2020 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laurent Goubet is currently offline Laurent GoubetFriend
I'm necro-ing this since I just did the exact same manipulation (misclicked in the "git staging" view so a file was flagged as "assume unchanged").

I believe it is extremely dangerous to leave such a command that readily available in the user interface of EGit, or there should at least be a confirmation dialog. Once the user has clicked on it, there is no UI that tells him "which" file has been flagged, or that a file was flagged in the first place. There is no UI to undo that change either. The command line will not show the file in either git status or git diff, so there is no readily available way to determine what has happened for the regular git user.

To make matters worse, the command from Clint above will not work on windows (bash: /mingw64/bin/git: Argument list too long). The user has to dig into the documentation of cgit to understand what that "assume unchanged" has done, and how to actually undo it.

For people who might make the same mistake in the future, you have to open a git terminal and use the following:

$ git ls-files -v|grep '^h'

This will list the files on which the "assume unchanged" flag is set. Then, on each of these files:

$ git update-index --no-assume-unchanged <FILE>

Laurent
Re: assume unchanged [message #1819146 is a reply to message #1819047] Wed, 08 January 2020 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
EGit decorates files having this flag set with a blue check mark.
You can see and also customize decorations under "Preferences > Team > Git > Label Decorations".

You can undo the assumed unchanged flag using EGit, just select the same file/folder
where you clicked "Assume unchanged" and then click "No assume unchanged".

:-)
Re: assume unchanged [message #1835511 is a reply to message #576997] Sat, 05 December 2020 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dhruv Sherathia is currently offline Dhruv SherathiaFriend
So this happened!
I accidently clicked on "assume unchanged"!
I tried searching on internet, but could not find any working solution!
So, I tried few things here and there and finally I found the solution for this which will undo the assume unchanged!

Right click on "Your Project" then Team>Advanced>No assume Unchanged
That's it!
(Check the image below)
Re: assume unchanged [message #1835520 is a reply to message #1835511] Sat, 05 December 2020 16:39 Go to previous message
Thomas Wolf is currently offline Thomas WolfFriend
Well yes, that's what Matthias wrote in January 2020. (One minor difficulty is: if you click "Assume unchanged" in the staging view, the file will disappear there. You have to find it again in the package/project explorer and execute "No assume unchanged" there.)
Previous Topic:GIT Versions supported
Next Topic:JGit Clone Question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 03:50:18 GMT 2024