Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Virgo Build - common directory for ivy repo
Virgo Build - common directory for ivy repo [message #570159] Wed, 05 May 2010 16:09 Go to next message
Dmitry Sklyut is currently offline Dmitry SklyutFriend
After using maven for number of years, I have grown fond of a single .m2/repository location. Virgo build on the other hand re-downloads all dependencies, even common once for each component.

At the time of dm-server I did a quick calculation and it ended up being close to a gig of stuff in ivy/repo across all components and few version ranges (i.e. not cleaning ivy deps).

I understand that this behavior was a design choice but would it be possible to introduce a very small change to build system to source $HOME/.vergobuild.properties or look for a global env variable and used that in preference to "ivy.cache.dir"?

In addition to reduced disk usage, it will minimize network io for common artifacts. Setting up eclipse projects will be easier too as only one variable needs to be defined vs. one per project.

Regards,

Dmitry
Re: Virgo Build - common directory for ivy repo [message #570196 is a reply to message #570159] Thu, 06 May 2010 10:06 Go to previous message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Hi Dmitry

That's a reasonable suggestion, but I think it would need to be an optional alternative to the current scheme as I'll explain below. Please would you raise a bug so we have the requirement on the books?

We often want independent ivy caches for the different repos when we are running with more than one branch and have different repos on different branches. In principle, it shouldn't matter, but in practice occasionally it is necessary to use "ant clean-ivy" to solve certain problems and get back to a clean state. A global ivy cache would increase the pain of having to delete the cache.

However, given that we don't often hit such problems these days, we may want to take advantage of a shared ivy cache if such a feature was implemented, but be able to fall back to the old scheme if it caused a problem.
Previous Topic:Draft docuware for Virgo creation review
Next Topic:User region and springframework upgrades
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 19:50:58 GMT 2024