Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Reworking the proposal in relation to Jetty
Reworking the proposal in relation to Jetty [message #564366] Tue, 19 January 2010 14:30 Go to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
As discussed in the http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/rt-pmc/msg01128.html, we should capture the proposed approach for Jetty support by updating the project proposal.

First some background, culled from the PMC thread.

There is an existing dm Server community using Tomcat as their production servlet container. These users are experienced with the runtime behaviour of Tomcat and their admins are familiar with Tomcat configuration. So we need to continue to make a Tomcat based server available from Virgo to satisfy that community.

For Gemini and Virgo to support Jetty, two thin adapters need to be written which will require understanding of Gemini/Virgo and Jetty, so I would expect there to be collaboration between the teams, although who does what remains to be seen. The adapters will reside in Gemini and Virgo, so will be maintained by Virgo committers.

I agree with the need to make a commitment. However, I would like to ship a baseline release as soon as we have transferred the code base and got it to build and pass its current tests. This baseline will provide a migration target for current users.

Currently, the Virgo proposal says this about Jetty:
Quote:
> The Virgo server obtains its web application support via the Eclipse Gemini Web Container project. This project in turn uses an embedded Apache Tomcat servlet container. The dependency on Tomcat is via a simple service published in the service registry, and for users wishing to work with Jetty, replacement of the Tomcat bundle(s) with Jetty bundle(s) exporting a service under the same interface is all that will be required to swap.

Perhaps some wording like the following would be sufficient:
Quote:
> The Virgo server obtains its web application support via the Eclipse Gemini Web Container project. This project in turn uses an embedded Apache Tomcat servlet container. For Virgo to support Jetty, two thin adapters will be written in collaboration with the Jetty team. The adapters will reside in Gemini and Virgo and will be maintained by the committers of those projects.
Re: Reworking the proposal in relation to Jetty [message #564389 is a reply to message #564366] Tue, 19 January 2010 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dmitry Sklyut is currently offline Dmitry SklyutFriend
Glyn,

Can you provide a quick explanation what parts will live in gemini vs. virgo?

As for the wording, i think it will be enough to satisfy concernes raised in pmc thread by jetty team members.

I was a little concerned by the strong wording in the pmc thread about exclusive use of jetty going forward vs. support for both tomcat and jetty.

Regards
Dmitry
Re: Reworking the proposal in relation to Jetty [message #564398 is a reply to message #564389] Wed, 20 January 2010 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Greg Wilkins is currently offline Greg WilkinsFriend
Dmitry,

I don't think anybody was advocating exclusive support of jetty. I think there were a few who expressed a desire to have Jetty as default - but certainly not to the exclusion of tomcat (or tc?)

The Jetty team primary concern was that initially it looked like we would have to take the lead on creating and maintaining the modules, plus the strange dependencies if the modules resided in the jetty project.

The commitment to collaborate and to maintain the modules in the virgo/gemini projects addresses our concerns.

regards
Re: Reworking the proposal in relation to Jetty [message #565523 is a reply to message #564366] Fri, 22 January 2010 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Colyer is currently offline Adrian ColyerFriend
This looks good to me....
Thanks, Adrian.
Re: Reworking the proposal in relation to Jetty [message #565541 is a reply to message #564366] Mon, 25 January 2010 13:55 Go to previous message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
The http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/virgo/ has been updated to reflect the wording above.
Previous Topic:Reworking the proposal in relation to Jetty
Next Topic:Virgo integration with ECF remote services
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 12:18:26 GMT 2024