Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Sapphire » Combine experience
Combine experience [message #560905] Wed, 23 June 2010 20:45 Go to next message
rjahn is currently offline rjahnFriend
Sapphire is really a good idea and UI development with data-binding should be as simple as possible to have enough time to fulfill the requested requirements. Developers life should be easier.

In the last 2 years we developed an open source library with pretty the same goals. So it maybe makes sense to combine our experience.

Our library is distributed under apache license 2.0 and is available on our website http://www.sibvisions.com/en/jvx
Re: Combine experience [message #560930 is a reply to message #560905] Sat, 26 June 2010 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Konstantin Komissarchik is currently offline Konstantin KomissarchikFriend
Hi,

Good to hear from other folks thinking in the same direction. I haven't had a chance to take a look at your website, but I will do that next week. I just published an intro to Sapphire article. Take a look when you get a chance and post back with your thoughts on potential synergies.

http://lt-rider.blogspot.com/2010/06/sapphire.html

Look forward to hearing more from you.

- Konstantin
Re: Combine experience [message #561027 is a reply to message #560905] Mon, 28 June 2010 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rjahn is currently offline rjahnFriend
Your blog helped to understand for what Sapphire is developed.

For me, it is a good idea to help developers to create UIs. But the developer must still write a lot of
interfaces/xml files. But not so much as before :) and that helps!

How is your plan to integrate the database access?
How has the developer to combine UI model with domain model?
Any plans for client/server apps?

The UI is only one part in application development. Of course, it depends on the application type.
If a developer creates an UI, in most cases, he needs more e.g. database access, client/server communication,
business logic, ...

With JVx we try to help the developers with every part of app development.

The developer has to write source code instead of define the UI by XML. The written code can then be run as Desktop, RIA or HTML/Ajax application, without any changes in the code. Same code, different UI platform. We have a standard cross platform UI Interface for widget's, layouts etc. and we wrote an implementation for each UI technology. So we take care about the UI platform problems, and for the Application Developer is everything the same!

We have the same idea/vision "simplify development", but I think we used a kind of different way to solve the needs of an developer over the complete development process of a typical database driven business applications.
Re: Combine experience [message #561042 is a reply to message #561027] Mon, 28 June 2010 20:21 Go to previous message
Konstantin Komissarchik is currently offline Konstantin KomissarchikFriend
> How is your plan to integrate the database access?

We have no specific plans right now to work on easing database access, but Sapphire model is flexible enough to consume data from any resource type. The question is not whether you can write database-based apps using Sapphire, but rather how easy it is. If you are interested in exploring this further, that's something that we can definitely look at. I would imagine that we would leverage the work of others in this area... JPA seems like a logical choice or perhaps EMF CDO.

> How has the developer to combine UI model with domain model?

Could you clarify your terms? In Sapphire, the model that you write is not specific to the UI. I guess you would call it the domain model. The UI definition file specifies how the model should be presented on the screen.

> Any plans for client/server apps?

Nothing specific. Sapphire's scope is UI development. There are a number of technologies that you can combine Sapphire with to create complete applications.

JVx goals sound similar to Eclipse Riena project, which also looks to create an end-to-end framework for writing biz apps.

http://www.eclipse.org/riena/

- Konstantin
Previous Topic:Intro blog comment from André
Next Topic:Sapphire - Focus on Browsing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 05:48:10 GMT 2024