Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » eclipse plugin / RCP development: migration error from eclipse 3.2 to 3.6
eclipse plugin / RCP development: migration error from eclipse 3.2 to 3.6 [message #560124] Tue, 21 September 2010 09:33 Go to next message
Franz  is currently offline Franz Friend
Hi,

I inherited a quite old RCP-project from a former collegue of mine.
The RCP-project was developed in eclipse 3.2.2. When I try to start
the application with eclipse 3.6 (Helios) it returns (amongst others)
following error:

org.osgi.framework.BundleException: The bundle "org.eclipse.core.runtime_3.6.0.v20100505 [3]" could not be resolved. Reason: Missing Constraint: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.equinox.common; bundle-version="[3.5.0,4.0.0)"
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.getResolverError(AbstractBundle.java:1317)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.getResolutionFailureException(AbstractBundle.java:1301)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.startWorker(BundleHost.java:319)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.resume(AbstractBundle.java:374)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.resumeBundle(Framework.java:1067)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.resumeBundles(StartLevelManager.java:561)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.resumeBundles(StartLevelManager.java:546)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.incFWSL(StartLevelManager.java:459)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.doSetStartLevel(StartLevelManager.java:243)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.dispatchEvent(StartLevelManager.java:440)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:227)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:337)

However the package "org.eclipse.equinox.common_3.6.0.v20100503.jar"
is found by eclipse and it is listed under "Plugin-in Dependencies" in Package Explorer.

As I am new to RCP-development, I do not know where the error could be and where to search for any error. How can I locate the error? Which files should I check?

Thank you,
Franz
Re: eclipse plugin / RCP development: migration error from eclipse 3.2 to 3.6 [message #628018 is a reply to message #560124] Thu, 23 September 2010 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I copied and adjusted a MANIFEST.MF under META-INF, as it is in an other RCP-project which this is based on (as far as I understand it).

MANIFEST.MF:
Manifest-Version: 1.0
Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2
Bundle-Name: WAC-RCP
Bundle-SymbolicName: de.gefasoft.webappcfg.rcp;singleton:=true
Bundle-Version: 1.0.0
Bundle-Activator: de.gefasoft.webappcfg.rcp.Activator
Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.ui,
 org.eclipse.core.runtime,
 org.eclipse.jface.text,
 org.eclipse.core.resources,
 org.eclipse.ui.editors,
 org.eclipse.ui.ide,
 org.eclipse.ui.workbench.texteditor,
 org.apache.ant,
 org.eclipse.debug.core
Eclipse-AutoStart: false

The error changed a bit, but it is still the same behavior: when starting "Launch an Eclipse application" it displays splash.bmp defined in build.properties and exits with "The application could not start. Would you like to view the log?"

The error in the editor is as follows:
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: The bundle "org.eclipse.core.runtime_3.6.0.v20100505 [286]" could not be resolved. Reason: Missing Constraint: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.equinox.app; bundle-version="[1.0.0,2.0.0)"

The error is slightly different:
- after bundle it is [286] instead of [3] (whatever this means)
- Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.equinox.app (instead of org.eclipse.equinox.common)
- bundle-version="[1.0.0,2.0.0)" instead of "[3.5.0,4.0.0)"

The error
!MESSAGE Bundle initial@reference:file:plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime_3.6.0.v20100505.jar/ was not resolved.
is probably still similar as before. "org.eclipse.core.runtime_3.6.0.v20100505.jar" is listed in package explorer.

What does the errors and the error changes mean? How can I locate the error more specifically to fetch the bug?
Re: eclipse plugin / RCP development: migration error from eclipse 3.2 to 3.6 [message #628065 is a reply to message #628018] Thu, 23 September 2010 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
Did you tried hitting "Validate Plug-ins" in your Launch Dialog - it
looks like your launch config is from 3.2 and hence when running it
can't find the new bundles (they have different versions and dependencies)?

Tom

Am 23.09.10 10:45, schrieb Franz:
> I copied and adjusted a MANIFEST.MF under META-INF, as it is in an other
> RCP-project which this is based on (as far as I understand it).
>
> MANIFEST.MF:
>
> Manifest-Version: 1.0
> Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2
> Bundle-Name: WAC-RCP
> Bundle-SymbolicName: de.gefasoft.webappcfg.rcp;singleton:=true
> Bundle-Version: 1.0.0
> Bundle-Activator: de.gefasoft.webappcfg.rcp.Activator
> Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.ui,
> org.eclipse.core.runtime,
> org.eclipse.jface.text,
> org.eclipse.core.resources,
> org.eclipse.ui.editors,
> org.eclipse.ui.ide,
> org.eclipse.ui.workbench.texteditor,
> org.apache.ant,
> org.eclipse.debug.core
> Eclipse-AutoStart: false
>
> The error changed a bit, but it is still the same behavior: when
> starting "Launch an Eclipse application" it displays splash.bmp defined
> in build.properties and exits with "The application could not start.
> Would you like to view the log?"
>
> The error in the editor is as follows:
>
> org.osgi.framework.BundleException: The bundle
> "org.eclipse.core.runtime_3.6.0.v20100505 " could not be resolved.
> Reason: Missing Constraint: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.equinox.app;
> bundle-version="[1.0.0,2.0.0)"
>
> The error is slightly different:
> - after bundle it is instead of [3] (whatever this means)
> - Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.equinox.app (instead of
> org.eclipse.equinox.common)
> - bundle-version="[1.0.0,2.0.0)" instead of "[3.5.0,4.0.0)"
>
> The error !MESSAGE Bundle
> initial@reference:file:plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime_3.6.0.v20100505.jar/
> was not resolved. is probably still similar as before.
> "org.eclipse.core.runtime_3.6.0.v20100505.jar" is listed in package
> explorer.
>
> What does the errors and the error changes mean? How can I locate the
> error more specifically to fetch the bug?
Re: eclipse plugin / RCP development: migration error from eclipse 3.2 to 3.6 [message #628271 is a reply to message #628065] Thu, 23 September 2010 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Tom,

thanks for your answer. I hit "Validation" and the result is shown in this screenshot under picasa (since I cannot upload any images here): http:// picasaweb.google.com/fraensn/Screenshots#5520063394463501714

But I don't know, how I can resolve these "missing constraints"?!

Another thing: I found a warning in "build.properties":
The plug-in's classpath library '.' does not have a corresponding source build entry

What does this mean? Has it any effect - maybe it doesn't find the plugin's then?!

Here's the "build.properties":
bin.includes = plugin.xml,\
               plugin.properties,\
               icons/,\
               about.html,\
               config.ini,\
               splash.bmp,\
               lib/,\
               templates/,\
               bin/de/,\
               bin/,\
               META-INF/
src.includes = doc-html/,\
               RCP WAC Editor.launch

Tom Schindl wrote on Thu, 23 September 2010 04:52
Did you tried hitting "Validate Plug-ins" in your Launch Dialog - it
looks like your launch config is from 3.2 and hence when running it
can't find the new bundles (they have different versions and dependencies)?

Re: eclipse plugin / RCP development: migration error from eclipse 3.2 to 3.6 [message #628424 is a reply to message #628271] Thu, 23 September 2010 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
What about simply hitting "Add Required Plug-ins"?

Tom

Am 23.09.10 13:12, schrieb Franz:
> Hi Tom,
>
> thanks for your answer. I hit "Validation" and the result is shown in
> this screenshot under picasa (since I cannot upload any images here):
> http://picasaweb.google.com/fraensn/Screenshots#552006339446 3501714
>
> But I don't know, how I can resolve these "missing constraints"?!
>
> Another thing: I found a warning in "build.properties":
> The plug-in's classpath library '.' does not have a corresponding source
> build entry
> What does this mean? Has it any effect - maybe it doesn't find the
> plugin's then?!
>
> Here's the "build.properties":
> bin.includes = plugin.xml,\
> plugin.properties,\
> icons/,\
> about.html,\
> config.ini,\
> splash.bmp,\
> lib/,\
> templates/,\
> bin/de/,\
> bin/,\
> META-INF/
> src.includes = doc-html/,\
> RCP WAC Editor.launch
> Tom Schindl wrote on Thu, 23 September 2010 04:52
>> Did you tried hitting "Validate Plug-ins" in your Launch Dialog - it
>> looks like your launch config is from 3.2 and hence when running it
>> can't find the new bundles (they have different versions and
>> dependencies)?
>
>
Re: eclipse plugin / RCP development: migration error from eclipse 3.2 to 3.6 [message #628604 is a reply to message #628424] Thu, 23 September 2010 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom Schindl wrote on Thu, 23 September 2010 08:20
What about simply hitting "Add Required Plug-ins"?

Just hit "Add Required Plug-ins". eclipse added some plug-ins, but still the same behaviour. But the original error message occurs:
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: The bundle "org.eclipse.core.runtime_3.6.0.v20100505 [3]" could not be resolved. Reason: Missing Constraint: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.equinox.common; bundle-version="[3.5.0,4.0.0)"
[...]
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: The bundle "org.eclipse.update.configurator_3.3.100.v20100512 [4]" could not be resolved. Reason: Missing Constraint: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.equinox.common; bundle-version="[3.2.0,4.0.0)"
[...]
!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2010-09-23 15:11:22.308
!MESSAGE Bundle initial@reference:file:plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime_3.6.0.v20100505.jar/ was not resolved.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2010-09-23 15:11:22.309
!MESSAGE Bundle initial@reference:file:plugins/org.eclipse.update.configurator_3.3.100.v20100512.jar/ was not resolved.

The last error with which the log exits (to complete stacktrace):
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to acquire application service. Ensure that the org.eclipse.core.runtime bundle is resolved and started (see config.ini).
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:74)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:369)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:619)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:574)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1407)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1383)

It seems there are only 2 unresolved plugins. But I'm still lost, where these plugins (and plugin-versions) are defined?
Re: eclipse plugin / RCP development: migration error from eclipse 3.2 to 3.6 [message #646750 is a reply to message #560124] Thu, 30 December 2010 17:46 Go to previous message
Pamela Missing name is currently offline Pamela Missing nameFriend
I'm having a similar issue.

We are going from Ganymede to Helios and I have not been successful in launching our application from it.

I am able to launch it as a product, but not as a Java application. We currently use WSLauncher to start our application from Eclipse, but I get an error every time.

org.osgi.framework.BundleException: The bundle "org.eclipse.core.runtime_3.6.0.v20100505 [3]" could not be resolved. Reason: Missing Constraint: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.core.jobs; bundle-version="[3.2.0,4.0.0)"
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.getR esolverError(AbstractBundle.java:1317)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.getR esolutionFailureException(AbstractBundle.java:1301)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.startWor ker(BundleHost.java:319)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.resu me(AbstractBundle.java:374)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.resumeBun dle(Framework.java:1067)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.r esumeBundles(StartLevelManager.java:561)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.r esumeBundles(StartLevelManager.java:546)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.i ncFWSL(StartLevelManager.java:459)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.d oSetStartLevel(StartLevelManager.java:243)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.d ispatchEvent(StartLevelManager.java:440)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEve nt(EventManager.java:227)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread .run(EventManager.java:337)

If I validate plug-ins, there are no problems. I even used the same config.ini file and still no luck.

So, you're in the same boat as me, it would seem. I'll let you know if I have any luck with it!
Previous Topic:RCP TextEditor example not working for me (Linux)
Next Topic:View Update other view
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 08:37:04 GMT 2024