Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Subversive » How to associate a new project with Subversive?
How to associate a new project with Subversive? [message #558676] Mon, 13 September 2010 21:27 Go to next message
Peter Missing name is currently offline Peter Missing nameFriend
Folks,

I am used to using svn from command line as well as from Windows TortoiseSVN. I just installed subversive within Eclipse. In order to test how it works, here is what I did:

1. On the svn server, I created a brand new repository called Test.
2. I created 3 subdirectories under Test - trunk, branches, and tags.
3. Within Eclipse, under "SVN Reportory," I connected to http://mysvnsvr/svn/Test. This is working. I can see the 3 subdirectories that I created.
4. Now, I created a new "Hello World" Java application called MyNewProject using Maven quickstart archetype. This creates one main directory, MyNewProject, and two subdirdirectories - src and target.

At this point, I am struggling on how to associate this new project to my new repository. Most of the documentation I saw talks about first checking out the project from subversion. In my case, I do not have any project to check out yet.

1. How do I associate a new project to the repository using Subversive?

2. Do I need to create "MyNewProject" directory under SVN manually or will Subversive automatically create one for me?

3. Do I need to set "ignore" option on "target" directory or will Subversive automatically do it for me?

4. How about "ignore" options for other files that eclipse creates such as ".metadata."? Do I need to do it manually or will Subversive automatically take care of it?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Peter
Re: How to associate a new project with Subversive? [message #558693 is a reply to message #558676] Tue, 14 September 2010 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone? Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Peter
Re: How to associate a new project with Subversive? [message #558854 is a reply to message #558693] Tue, 14 September 2010 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexander Gurov is currently offline Alexander GurovFriend
Hi,

Just use "Share Project..." option from the Team pop-up menu. Subversive will create directory on the SVN repository according to your guidance given by going through the "Share Project" wizard steps.
All autogenerated stuff will be automatically ignored. But still, you can check before commit if something is going wrong on this part (some autogenerated resources are proposed to be committed or something important is ignored) and perfom corresponding fixes using actions like:
Team-> Add to SVN
Team->Add to svn:ignore

P.S.
If some share Project wizard steps is unclean for you, you always can check Subversive help pages.
Re: How to associate a new project with Subversive? [message #558858 is a reply to message #558854] Tue, 14 September 2010 15:52 Go to previous message
Wonderful. That was it.

Alex. Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Peter
Previous Topic:Confusing merge behavior
Next Topic:"Collecting Resources" on Team Update takes forever
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:44:09 GMT 2024