Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » Find Nodes in a Graph
Find Nodes in a Graph [message #558190] Fri, 10 September 2010 13:31 Go to next message
ouri.maler is currently offline ouri.malerFriend
I am currently using Zest to create a graphic representation of a model as part of a GUI I'm making. It creates a Graph object by doing an in-depth search of the model.

public void makeGraph(DNode node, GraphNode father)  //the DNode class is dependent on the project I'm working on, not Zest itself.
{
  GraphNode newNode = new GraphNode(graph, SWT.NONE, node.getNodeName();
  if(father!=null)
    new GraphConnection(graph, SWT.NONE, newNode, father);
  /* some actions irrelevant to the matter at hand */
  for(DNode comp: node.children())
    makeGraph(comp, newNode);
}

Unfortunately, the search method will often find the same node twice; to avoid creating duplicates, I need a way to check if the node already exists within the graph.

My first idea was to do something like this:

public void makeGraph(DNode node, GraphNode father)
{
  if(graph.getNodes().contains(node.getNodeName())
    /* the node already exists; just add a connection to it. */
  else
    /* New node; create it, connect to it, call makeGraph() for its children. */

Unfortunately, that didn't work either. I'm not sure why, but the "if" was never answered positively, and I still ended up with a lot of duplicates.
So I'm left wondering...How does one actually check if a node exists in a Graph?
Re: Find Nodes in a Graph [message #558225 is a reply to message #558190] Fri, 10 September 2010 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fabian Steeg is currently offline Fabian SteegFriend
Since the collection returned by getNodes contains the actual nodes and not their names, testing for containment would basically work like this (if your node was a Zest GraphNode):
if (graph.getNodes().contains(node))

If I understand you correctly, you have a different type here that is not a GraphNode. You could search the nodes yourself:
boolean contains(List<GraphNode> nodes, String name) {
  for (GraphNode graphNode : nodes) {
    if (graphNode.getText().equals(name)) {
      return true;
    }
  }
  return false;
}

And call it like this:
if (contains(graph.getNodes(), node.getNodeName()))
Re: Find Nodes in a Graph [message #558542 is a reply to message #558225] Mon, 13 September 2010 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks a lot - that worked like a charm. I also used a similar nodeNumber() method to obtain the node's position within the List.

Still having different issues, though - namely, when I create the graph, all the nodes are cluttered at the upper left corner of the display. I wonder if this is somehow caused by the vast number of nodes...? (Since this problem didn't occur when I created an example graph with only four nodes.)
Re: Find Nodes in a Graph [message #558774 is a reply to message #558542] Tue, 14 September 2010 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not sure what might be causing this, but you could try some different layouts, see http://www.vogella.de/articles/EclipseZest/article.html#layo utmanager
Re: Find Nodes in a Graph [message #559050 is a reply to message #558774] Wed, 15 September 2010 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fabian Steeg wrote on Tue, 14 September 2010 07:44
Not sure what might be causing this, but you could try some different layouts, see http://www.vogella.de/articles/EclipseZest/article.html#layo utmanager

Didn't help, I'm afraid...Tried Tree, HorizontalTree, Radial, Grid, and SpringLayoutAlgorithm, but with all of them, I get all the nodes clumped in the upper left corner until I manually move them from it.
Re: Find Nodes in a Graph [message #559620 is a reply to message #558190] Fri, 17 September 2010 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, found the problem by accident while adding comments to the program: Because of modifications I had made to the program's structure, graph.appLayout() got called before I created the nodes.
Corrected now. Thanks for the help - I probably wouldn't have noticed it if you hadn't brought the layout thing to my attention.
Re: Find Nodes in a Graph [message #559641 is a reply to message #559620] Fri, 17 September 2010 13:36 Go to previous message
No Real Name wrote on Fri, 17 September 2010 14:11
OK, found the problem by accident while adding comments to the program: Because of modifications I had made to the program's structure, graph.appLayout() got called before I created the nodes.

Great - and thanks for telling your solution!
Previous Topic:GraphicsToGraphics2DAdaptor drawTextLayout renders as image. Help?
Next Topic:Zoom funtion in a View?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:51:08 GMT 2024