Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Trouble Creating Runnable JAR File
Trouble Creating Runnable JAR File [message #558084] Fri, 10 September 2010 07:12 Go to next message
Bernie Hunt is currently offline Bernie HuntFriend
I'm running Eclipse 3.6 and I'm having trouble exporting to a runnable JAR file. The project is a simple applet that performs a DB access and reports back the info. It has two classes and a seperate library for the oracle connection. All runs well testing in Eclipse.

I right click the project and select Export. I expand Java and select Runnable JAR File. The Next button brings me to the Select a Java Application Launch Configuration dialog. The Launch configuration drop down box does not contain any configurations and won't let me type in the box.

How do I get a Launch configuration?

Sorry for the silly question, but I have to get started somewhere.

Bernie
Re: Trouble Creating Runnable JAR File [message #558178 is a reply to message #558084] Fri, 10 September 2010 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vinicius Isola is currently offline Vinicius IsolaFriend
It seems to me that this is no a question about Eclipse, but a basic Java question.

Applets should run inside a browser and a runnable Jar can only run classes that have a main(String[]) method. Normally, that's not the case for an applet.

This tutorial can explain better how to write and run an applet: http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/deployment/applet /index.html

And this can explain how to deploy java applications: http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/deployment/index. html
Re: Trouble Creating Runnable JAR File [message #558240 is a reply to message #558084] Fri, 10 September 2010 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bernie Hunt is currently offline Bernie HuntFriend
The question about Eclipse is; can Eclipse store extrernal librarys in a JAR file for an applet. Or do I need to get another tool?

If Eclipse can, then how.

Re: Trouble Creating Runnable JAR File [message #558274 is a reply to message #558240] Fri, 10 September 2010 18:34 Go to previous message
Vinicius Isola is currently offline Vinicius IsolaFriend
I think that the Runnable Jar export wizard is to create plugins not normal java applications, that's why you need the Launch Configuration.

I tried creating a jar with jar files inside it using Eclipse and found now way to do it. I also found this question in StackOverflow that may help you decide: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/502960/eclipse-how-to-bui ld-an-executable-jar-with-external-jar

I recomend using any zip tool to add the jar files inside the .jar file.
Previous Topic:Eclipse Minimun Distribution Question
Next Topic:[SOLVED] Eclipse crash on startup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:20:12 GMT 2024