Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Subversive » SVN password dialog appearing on every operation
SVN password dialog appearing on every operation [message #557992] Thu, 09 September 2010 17:32 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I've been using Subversive in Eclipse for quite a while. Connections to the SVN server work transparently without having to enter my SVN login/password info.

Yesterday morning my login was moved from one windows domain to another. I'm still trying to recover from the symptoms that caused. I've fixed most of them, but I'm still having trouble with SVN/Subversive in Eclipse.

I realized that I had to remove the "secure_storage" file and have Eclipse recreate it. When I did that, it fixed a problem with being unable to save settings in the "Network Connections" preferences page. I can now save those settings successfully.

The remaining symptom is this: When I try to do any SVN operation it brings up the SVN password dialog. If I enter the correct password, the operation works, but when I do another SVN operation, it brings up the password dialog again. In fact, when I do "show history", I think that makes two SVN connections, because it brings up the password dialog twice. I'm finding that the password value set in the field is actually correct, because if I click OK, it appears to get past the dialog. In the case of "show history", I have to click OK on the dialog twice before it shows the SVN history.

Looking in the "Secure Storage" preferences page, I'm not sure what I should expect to see here. The "Contents" tab shows three sections in the tree, being essentially "secure storage", "SVN", and "Network Connections" (those aren't the exact labels). The information in the first and third seem reasonable. The information in the "SVN" section shows 4 SVN URLs. When I click on any of them, the "ID/Value" table is empty. I would think I should see something in that table like "user" and "password". Strangely, the SVN login dialog does get populated with the correct information, but it shouldn't be prompting me.
Re: SVN password dialog appearing on every operation [message #558423 is a reply to message #557992] Sun, 12 September 2010 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I thought I had found a workaround for this problem, but it only worked for a short time.

Someone had pointed out to me that we have an alias for our SVN server. I found that when I created a new SVN location using that alias, it didn't prompt me every time I did an operation. This was working fine. I checked out all of my existing projects using the new alias and removed the ones using the old name. This worked fine, until I restarted Eclipse. Then it went back to giving me the password dialog for every SVN access.
Re: SVN password dialog appearing on every operation [message #630559 is a reply to message #557992] Mon, 04 October 2010 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Enrico Magen is currently offline Enrico MagenFriend
I have the same issue and it's driving me nuts. We've got about 15 projects that I have to update every day several times and clicking Enter.. wait... Enter... wait... Enter... is annoying as hell.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Re: SVN password dialog appearing on every operation [message #631893 is a reply to message #557992] Sun, 10 October 2010 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexander Gurov is currently offline Alexander GurovFriend
Hi all,

As workaround you could try cleaning cached authentication information in the Subversion authentication information cache. For Windows-based systems it is located at:

"C:\Documents and Settings\<user folder>\Application Data\Subversion\auth"
Re: SVN password dialog appearing on every operation [message #645573 is a reply to message #557992] Sat, 18 December 2010 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
longhour  is currently offline longhour Friend
Facing maybe the same problem. I can't connect to any repository because I won't get past the prompt. I've tried several workarounds.

I've tried to reinstall eclipse a couple of times, tried to vary the auth and subversion folders, but it didn't get me anywhere. Another machine works fine. Could it be, that the new versions published on december 3rd 2010 have such an impact? Until then I could install SVN without any problem. I am a little frustrated, I didn't get it to work within 10 hours...

my configuration:
win7 64bit, logged in as administrator

Eclipse IDE for PHP Developers
epp.package.php
1.3.1.20100916-1202

Native JavaHL 1.6 Implementation (Optional)
org.polarion.eclipse.team.svn.connector.javahl16.feature.gro up
2.2.2.I20101203-1700

Subversive SVN Team Provider (Incubation)
org.eclipse.team.svn.feature.group
0.7.9.I20101203-1700

SVNKit 1.3.3 Implementation (Optional)
org.polarion.eclipse.team.svn.connector.svnkit16.feature.gro up
2.2.2.I20101203-1700

Thanks for any help!
Re: SVN password dialog appearing on every operation [message #649112 is a reply to message #557992] Mon, 17 January 2011 17:48 Go to previous message
William  is currently offline William Friend
I had the same issue.
I'm on Linux with eclipse Helios and subversion 1.6.
Theres a bug in the gnome-keyring support.
As a work around I made changes to the following in my ~/.subversion/servers file.
in the section Password / passphrase caching parameters:
set the following
store-passwords = yes
store-plaintext-passwords = yes

Then i ran update on one of my repose from the command line.
The next time I used eclipse to commit it worked just fine.

Previous Topic:svn command-line version compatible with subversive?
Next Topic:Similar Connector installation issue, but on Windows XP with helios
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:38:24 GMT 2024