Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Dynamic Languages Toolkit (DLTK) » Want to get ruby working in Eclipse for the first time? (DLTK 2.0)(No ruby interpreter problem? Can't find the help files? This is a super quick little HOW TO)
Want to get ruby working in Eclipse for the first time? (DLTK 2.0) [message #557458] Tue, 07 September 2010 14:08 Go to next message
michelle  is currently offline michelle Friend
In case I am not the only one who doesn't find ruby obvious to install, here's a HOW TO get ruby working in you eclipse IDE. (based on what I did - but please feel free to add/correct anything if needed) I'm wondering if anyone will ever use this...either or it still makes me feel good in trying to contribute back just some of the help I have recieved on these forums. thanks michelle

1. I am going to assume you have Eclipse Helios installed
  2. Now to install the "DLTK - ruby stuff" open Eclipse > help > install new software... and then install everything shown in this screenshot here with the URL http://download.eclipse.org/technology/dltk/updates/
  3. Now you would think that would mean (or at least I did) that you automatically also get the ruby interpreter installed. But it doesn't. Eclipse mearly now has the abiltiy to support ruby application development. So go get the ruby interpreter installed, for windows just use the one click installer here
  4. Now you have to let eclipse know about your new ruby interpreter which you installed. So open Eclipse > window > open perspectives > choose Ruby perspective. Now that you're in the ruby perspective, Window > preferences > ruby > interpreters > click SEARCH and you should be able to both see and put a check-mark in "ruby.exe". Great.
  5. Last step - try it out.
    File > New > Ruby Project click through that and make a project.
    Add an empty ruby script to your project, File > New > Empty Ruby Script and write in puts 'yipeee ruby is working in eclipse'
    Click on Run As and select "ruby script"... in the consile you should see the message yipeee ruby is working in eclipse

[Updated on: Thu, 18 August 2011 05:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Want to get ruby working in Eclipse for the first time? (DLTK 2.0) [message #640306 is a reply to message #557458] Sat, 20 November 2010 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Cummings is currently offline Chris CummingsFriend
Thanks, Michelle. I noticed there were a couple of things different if doing this on OS X.

When you point Eclipse to your interpreter (step 4) you actually go to: Eclipse > Preferences > Ruby > Interpreters.

Also, searching for the interpreter fails on OS X so you have to manually browse to it. If you're not sure what the path for you ruby interpreter is, run
which ruby
in terminal (screen shot).

[Updated on: Sat, 20 November 2010 09:38]

Re: Want to get ruby working in Eclipse for the first time? (DLTK 2.0) [message #640363 is a reply to message #640306] Sun, 21 November 2010 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
n/a

[Updated on: Thu, 02 December 2010 12:38]

Re: Want to get ruby working in Eclipse for the first time? (DLTK 2.0) [message #647328 is a reply to message #640363] Wed, 05 January 2011 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Woods is currently offline Eric WoodsFriend
Thanks, Michelle! Giving back is always worth it; it helped me.
Re: Want to get ruby working in Eclipse for the first time? (DLTK 2.0) [message #649840 is a reply to message #647328] Thu, 20 January 2011 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill B is currently offline Bill BFriend
Well, I've got ruby installed, but it seems to have installed a little TOO well. Smile

There are not one, but two perspectives available. I'm not sure at all what is going on. I assume I don't need both. If so, which one should I remove and how do I determine which one I'm actually removing?

Does anyone know what is going on here?

I'd like to attach a screenshot of my IDE for clarity, but seems I don't have permissions for that (?). Sorry, new to this forum.

Thanks.
Re: Want to get ruby working in Eclipse for the first time? (DLTK 2.0) [message #688522 is a reply to message #557458] Fri, 24 June 2011 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
markcunnington is currently offline markcunningtonFriend
Thank you for your post. Eclipse Indigo installed with Ruby in minutes.
Re: Want to get ruby working in Eclipse for the first time? (DLTK 2.0) [message #716663 is a reply to message #557458] Thu, 18 August 2011 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zappi_s  is currently offline zappi_s Friend
michelle wrote on Tue, 07 September 2010 10:08
... and then install everything shown in this screenshot here with the URL

Sorry. But the screenshot is no longer available. Could you please write the needed Packages in letters.

Thank you very much .....
Re: Want to get ruby working in Eclipse for the first time? (DLTK 2.0) [message #716689 is a reply to message #716663] Thu, 18 August 2011 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Zappi, I've fixed the link above. And here it is again, http://www.michellepace.com/pics/screenshot.dltk.ruby.install.in.eclipse.png

I wrote this post a year ago and since then eclipse has been updated from Eclipse Galileo (3.5) to Eclipse Indigo (3.7).

I'm really not sure how outdated this post is. Quite a few people still seem to use it though. If you notice any changes with anything upon your setup let me know so I can edit it into the top post. cheers, Michelle
Re: Want to get ruby working in Eclipse for the first time? (DLTK 2.0) [message #766480 is a reply to message #716689] Thu, 15 December 2011 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom D is currently offline Tom DFriend
Hello
- Not sure if it is still up to date, but since the screenshot files keep showing 'no file' is there any way to get a listing (perhaps a dump from install help?) of the pkgs to install from that screenshot?

Thanks
-Tom
icon14.gif  Re: Want to get ruby working in Eclipse for the first time? (DLTK 2.0) [message #987764 is a reply to message #766480] Wed, 28 November 2012 00:19 Go to previous message
Marissa Rocks is currently offline Marissa RocksFriend
Hello!

Here is a helpful guide (besides this thread Smile ) to help you get started:

(http://)wiki.openqa.org/display/WTR/How+to+setup+Eclipse+for+Ruby

In step 7, it shows the DLTK packages you need to install. I will list them here also just in case!

Expand the "Dynamic Languages Toolkit (DLTK) 2.0" row

Check off:
(1) Dynamic Languages Toolkit - Core Frameworks
(2) Dynamic Languages Toolkit - Core Frameworks SDK
(3) Dynamic Languages Toolkit - Ruby Development Tools
(4) Dynamic Languages Toolkit - Ruby Development Tools SDK

Happy rubying!

[Updated on: Wed, 28 November 2012 15:54] by Moderator

Previous Topic:parsing a configuration file that is expressed in ruby dsl
Next Topic:Instance DLTK Editor manually
Goto Forum: