Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » Question about using services concurrently
Question about using services concurrently [message #557060] Fri, 03 September 2010 20:42 Go to next message
Ben Abernathy is currently offline Ben AbernathyFriend
All,

I have a question about how services (made available using ds) act when touched by multiple threads. I have a situation where I want to create several worker threads to chew on some computations. I plan on these tasks touching other services for some additional capabilities.

Here are my assumptions and please tell me if they are correct.

I'm assuming Equinox doesn't synchronize access to services. This means that I could have multiple threads touching the same service instance at the same time. Which implies that the service must be thread safe.

Are these reasonable statements?

Re: Question about using services concurrently [message #557070 is a reply to message #557060] Fri, 03 September 2010 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BJ Hargrave is currently offline BJ HargraveFriend
Yes. Equinox just acts as an introductory agent between you and the service. You need to examine the service contract to see if the service is thread safe.
Re: Question about using services concurrently [message #557071 is a reply to message #557070] Fri, 03 September 2010 23:22 Go to previous message
Ben Abernathy is currently offline Ben AbernathyFriend
BJ Hargrave wrote on Fri, 03 September 2010 19:15
Yes. Equinox just acts as an introductory agent between you and the service. You need to examine the service contract to see if the service is thread safe.

Thank you for the response. That is what I had suspected after running some tests of my own, but it's good to have some confirmation.
Previous Topic:Searching something like a "dropins project"
Next Topic:P2 Location of p2.inf
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:13:05 GMT 2024