Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Spatiotemporal Epidemiological Modeler (STEM) » STEM used to model a zombie outbreak
STEM used to model a zombie outbreak [message #555951] Mon, 30 August 2010 11:18 Go to next message
Tero Parviainen is currently offline Tero ParviainenFriend
I participated in a 48 hour programming competition this weekend, and chose to create a visualization for a hypothetical zombie pandemic: http://teropa.no.de/. Luckily I discovered STEM and was able to create a convincing model of the "disease" with it.

Now, clearly this is a silly use of the software, but it did spark an interest, especially for the possibilities in integrating STEM with the web. I read that there have been some efforts in this area. Any news on what is the current situation with any web integration projects? I would be happy to chip in.
Re: STEM used to model a zombie outbreak [message #556043 is a reply to message #555951] Mon, 30 August 2010 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Edlund is currently offline Stefan EdlundFriend
Hi Tero,

this is WAY cool! Do you mind if we share a link on the STEM web site to your "zombie pandemic outbreak" simulation? We always like to show new ways the community is using STEM Smile.

Matt Davis has written a web interface to STEM, he'd be able to give you more details on the current status of that.

Also, you're invited to join our weekly calls at 10 am pacific time wednesdays. Send an email to judyvdouglas@verizon.net and she'll give you the conference call number.

Regards,
/ Stefan
Re: STEM used to model a zombie outbreak [message #556045 is a reply to message #556043] Mon, 30 August 2010 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Edlund is currently offline Stefan EdlundFriend
Sorry, that email is judyvdouglas at verizon.net

[Updated on: Mon, 30 August 2010 16:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: STEM used to model a zombie outbreak [message #556174 is a reply to message #556043] Tue, 31 August 2010 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glad you like it! I don't mind you sharing the link at all, it would be very cool.

I'll try to contact Matt about the web UI, and hope to be able to join the conference call next week. Thanks for the info!
Re: STEM used to model a zombie outbreak [message #556386 is a reply to message #555951] Wed, 01 September 2010 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew Hill, a product manager at LinkedIn, had this to say about STEM when he judged my little application:

Quote:
Reading about STEM gave me ideas. A more-functional interface, combined with public datasets--or even better, users entering their own data points in realtime--could be really useful for researchers or in real-world disaster scenarios. Lots of potential.

Re: STEM used to model a zombie outbreak [message #556551 is a reply to message #556386] Wed, 01 September 2010 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Kaufman is currently offline James KaufmanFriend
Very nice!! I wonder if one could use STEM's predicates/triggers/modifiers to show some policy options? What public health policy would be good for Zombies Smile
Re: STEM used to model a zombie outbreak [message #556553 is a reply to message #555951] Wed, 01 September 2010 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Kaufman is currently offline James KaufmanFriend
http://www.mathstat.uottawa.ca/~rsmith/Zombies.pdf

from: In: Infectious Disease Modelling Research Progress ISBN 978-1-60741-347-9 Editors: J.M. Tchuenche and C. Chiyaka, pp. 133-15⃝c0 2009 Nova Science Publishers, Inc.

WHEN ZOMBIES ATTACK!: MATHEMATICAL MODELLING OF AN OUTBREAK OF ZOMBIE INFECTION
Philip Munz1∗, Ioan Hudea1†, Joe Imad2‡, Robert J. Smith?3§ 1School of Mathematics and Statistics, Carleton University, 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, ON K1S 5B6, Canada 2Department of Mathematics, The University of Ottawa, 585 King Edward Ave, Ottawa ON K1N 6N5, Canada 2Department of Mathematics and Faculty of Medicine, The University of Ottawa, 585 King Edward Ave, Ottawa ON K1N 6N5, Canada
Re: STEM used to model a zombie outbreak [message #556571 is a reply to message #556551] Wed, 01 September 2010 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Werner Keil is currently offline Werner KeilFriend
To be fair somebody should do this for the spread of Vampires in the Eclipse
(!) Movie...

That would even interest the public health policy of Canada, assuming that
little village Forks exists and is only a few miles from Vancouver and
Victoria (Vancouver Island)

"James Kaufman" <kaufman@almaden.ibm.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:i5m46l$i0$1@build.eclipse.org...
> Very nice!! I wonder if one could use STEM's predicates/triggers/modifiers
> to show some policy options? What public health policy would be good for
> Zombies :)
Re: STEM used to model a zombie outbreak [message #556953 is a reply to message #556553] Fri, 03 September 2010 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
http://www.mathstat.uottawa.ca/~rsmith/Zombies.pdf

from: In: Infectious Disease Modelling Research Progress ISBN 978-1-60741-347-9 Editors: J.M. Tchuenche and C. Chiyaka, pp. 133-15⃝c0 2009 Nova Science Publishers, Inc.

Oh, that's beautiful!
Implementing some of these models actually seems like a fun way for me to get more acquainted with STEM.
Re: STEM used to model a zombie outbreak [message #557145 is a reply to message #556953] Sun, 05 September 2010 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arik Kershenbaum is currently offline Arik KershenbaumFriend
I think STEM can contribute significantly to the zombie scenario. Of course, we can draw in more attention and more users, because modelling zombie attacks is fun. But the serious use is that the original paper dealt with "quarantine" in an abstract way. With STEM, we can investigate specific quarantine techniques, particularly denying air travel to zombies, and see how that affects the spread. This is very relevant, given the suggestions for draconian travel restrictions following the SARS outbreak. The distinction between short range movement (within a country) and long range (between countries) is a strength of STEM. It's very hard to do that kind of modelling analytically, so an explicit model like STEM becomes just about the only way to do it.

Arik

Re: STEM used to model a zombie outbreak [message #565216 is a reply to message #556953] Sun, 05 September 2010 05:43 Go to previous message
Arik Kershenbaum is currently offline Arik KershenbaumFriend
I think STEM can contribute significantly to the zombie scenario. Of course, we can draw in more attention and more users, because modelling zombie attacks is fun. But the serious use is that the original paper dealt with "quarantine" in an abstract way. With STEM, we can investigate specific quarantine techniques, particularly denying air travel to zombies, and see how that affects the spread. This is very relevant, given the suggestions for draconian travel restrictions following the SARS outbreak. The distinction between short range movement (within a country) and long range (between countries) is a strength of STEM. It's very hard to do that kind of modelling analytically, so an explicit model like STEM becomes just about the only way to do it.

Arik

--

==============
Arik Kershenbaum
Prof Blaustein's laboratory
Department of Evolutionary and Environmental Biology
University of Haifa
http://research.haifa.ac.il/~leon/html/Arik_Page.htm
Previous Topic:Re: STEM used to model a zombie outbreak
Next Topic:Multi-Population Disease Model for Download
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 04:42:48 GMT 2024