Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » P2 » Dropins feature not working in Helios RCP
Dropins feature not working in Helios RCP [message #555256] Thu, 26 August 2010 06:07 Go to next message
Murthy Bhat is currently offline Murthy BhatFriend
Hello,

I have created an RCP product in Helios and have exported it. I have created the dropins folder in my install location via p2.inf like instructions.configure=\
mkdir(path:${installFolder}/dropins);

I have all p2 plugins as dependencies and 'org.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.dropins' in the Configurations, Plugins, tab of the Product, with default start level and Autostart=true.

I am still unable to produce the 'dropins' effect. Could anyone please help find what I am missing out here ?

Regards,
Murthy

[Updated on: Thu, 26 August 2010 06:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Dropins feature not working in Helios RCP [message #556179 is a reply to message #555256] Tue, 31 August 2010 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I figured out a solution for getting through the dropins implementation working. I had to add 'org.eclipse.equinox.ds' in my product dependencies and have a configuration as below

<configurations>
<plugin id="com.test.rcp" autoStart="false" startLevel="6" />
<plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.dropins" autoStart="true" startLevel="5" />
<plugin id="org.eclipse.core.runtime" autoStart="true" startLevel="4" />
<plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.common" autoStart="true" startLevel="2" />
<plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.ds" autoStart="true" startLevel="2" />
<plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator" autoStart="true" startLevel="1" />
</configurations>

Regards,
Murthy

[Updated on: Tue, 31 August 2010 08:31]

Re: Dropins feature not working in Helios RCP [message #658102 is a reply to message #556179] Sun, 06 March 2011 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Antonel Ernest Pazargic is currently offline Antonel Ernest PazargicFriend
In Eclipse 3.6 migration guide is specified that p2 is using declarative
services. See
http://help.eclipse.org/helios/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse. platform.doc.isv/porting/3.6/faq.html

Thank you Murthy for letting us know about the p2 required bundles list
(autostart & start level), ...but I think you mention
"org.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.dropins" 2 times with different
configurations.
Is this product configuration working for you?

Thank you
jtonic

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 11:30:52 +0300, Murthy <murthybhat@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I figured out a solution for getting through the dropins
> implementation working. I had to add 'org.eclipse.equinox.ds' in my
> product dependencies and have a configuration as below
>
> <configurations>
> <plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.dropins"
> autoStart="false" startLevel="6" />
> <plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.dropins"
> autoStart="true" startLevel="5" />
> <plugin id="org.eclipse.core.runtime" autoStart="true"
> startLevel="4" />
> <plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.common" autoStart="true"
> startLevel="2" />
> <plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.ds" autoStart="true"
> startLevel="2" />
> <plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator"
> autoStart="true" startLevel="1" />
> </configurations>
>
> Regards,
> Murthy
Re: Dropins feature not working in Helios RCP [message #658104 is a reply to message #658102] Sun, 06 March 2011 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Jtonic,

Glad it helped.

The double inclusion of "org.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.dropins" was just a typo error.

Regards,
Murthy
Re: Dropins feature not working in Helios RCP [message #753582 is a reply to message #555256] Thu, 27 October 2011 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott Ellis is currently offline Scott EllisFriend
Hi, Thanks for this info, it helped me get the dropins folder at least partially working in my product. My problem now is even though the IU's have been added when I drop plugins in there and restart, the bundles don't get loaded, e.g. the reconciler does not install the bundles and the bundle.info file does not get rewritten.
Another example of the same issue is when I drop the PyDev plugins and features into the dropins folder, All the IU's are added and the installation history even shows PyDev has been installed, but again none of the bundles have been loaded so none of the PyDev features are available.

Can anyone help me with this issue?

EDIT:
I tried deleting my p2 configuration area and things started working much better, at least giving me error messages about unresolved dependencies, so I think this question is moot.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 November 2011 22:05]

Re: Dropins feature not working in Helios RCP [message #754365 is a reply to message #753582] Wed, 02 November 2011 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian de Alwis is currently offline Brian de AlwisFriend
Scott Ellis wrote on Thu, 27 October 2011 17:05

My problem now is even though the IU's have been added when I drop plugins in there and restart, the bundles don't get loaded, e.g. the reconciler does not install the bundles and the bundle.info file does not get rewritten.

The bundle.info file s never rewritten to include dropins. Realize that dropins is deprecated and may disappear in future releases.

Brian.
Re: Dropins feature not working in Helios RCP [message #754495 is a reply to message #754365] Wed, 02 November 2011 18:23 Go to previous message
Scott Ellis is currently offline Scott EllisFriend
OK sorry for the confusion. On slide 125 of Pascal Rapicault's "Understanding and Extending p2 for Fun and Profit" it says the bundles.info is rewritten.
Previous Topic:How to check if a feature with given id is installed from the command line?
Next Topic:Using P2 outside eclipse/rcp application
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:54:36 GMT 2024