Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Setting up JDST Dev Environment(Setting up JDST Dev Environment)
icon5.gif  Setting up JDST Dev Environment [message #554772] Tue, 24 August 2010 11:49 Go to next message
Scott Kellicker is currently offline Scott KellickerFriend
I'm trying to set up my dev environment to build, run and debug JSDT. I found JSDTDev Wiki page and the JSDT project page but neither gave me everything I was looking for.

If there are other resources, let me know.

A couple questions:

1. There seem to be 2 versions of the jsdt projects under CVS control:
cvsroot/webtools/HEAD/org.eclipse.jsdt/[development, docs, features, plugins, tests]

Some of the same projects are also found under:
/cvsroot/webtools/Head/

Based on the project file I found,
I used the first set and ignored the second. Correct?

Is this project file up-to-date?

2.What should the target platform be?
I set up a PDE target platform that consists of

gef 3.6, xsd 2.6, wtp3.2.1, sdk 3.6, emf 2.6.

Is that correct?

3. I set up the product launch config by looking at the set of JSDT installed plugins.

Are there any standard launch configs exist for running the product and unit tests?

4. The rhino plugins have many compilation errors. Is this a known issue or (more likely) a problem with my environment.

Thanks for your help.

Scott

[Updated on: Sat, 28 August 2010 14:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Setting up JDST Dev Environment [message #556273 is a reply to message #554772] Tue, 31 August 2010 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Thanks for the interest, Scott. The projects you see at the top-level of our CVS server are actually module aliases to the real folders under the org.eclipse.jsdt area. Aliases are often used to help isolate developers from restructuring of contents in the repository, as happened when we went from the WST+JST projects to what we have now. WTP may be the only top-level project that still does this, though, as it gets out of hand as more and more plug-ins, features, and test projects are added. And as you saw, the compiler breakages were the result of new plug-ins that hadn't yet been added to the project set file, which should be a rare occurrence. The Debug support is rapidly evolving, though, so I wouldn't rule out further changes between now and when 3.3 ships in June.

The PDE target you've listed is correct, but unless you plan to tinker with the org.eclipse.wst.jsdt.web.* plug-ins, you really only need the Eclipse SDK itself in your target. I don't tend to develop with that restricted a target myself, but it's an option.

The org.eclipse.jsdt/development/org.eclipse.wst.jsdt.unittests folder on the CVS server is a workspace project that can be used to run all of our unit tests in one go; it includes a shared launch configuration that should appear in your drop-down once checked out. It's a meager number of tests at the moment, as large amounts haven't been ported from the JDT test suites and remain disabled. We're slowly adding and/or re-enabling suites as we go.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Setting up JDST Dev Environment [message #556349 is a reply to message #556273] Tue, 31 August 2010 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin,

Thanks for the info.
I've been keeping notes on my experience on my blog, so hopefully others can get past a few of the hurdles I am seeing. (http://kellicker.wordpress.com)

I've noticed that the rhino.ui plugins are using a 3.7 org.eclipse.debug.ui API.
I set up a target that uses Eclipse SDK 3.6, so its obviously not compiling anymore.

What the best way to keep my environment compiling? What do your team members do?

Should I use the Eclipse 3.7 milestone builds in my PDE build target? And move to them as they are released.

Or should I checkout the debug.ui plugin project (and any dependency projects) into my workspace?
Re: Setting up JDST Dev Environment [message #556351 is a reply to message #556349] Tue, 31 August 2010 22:07 Go to previous message
In answer to my own question, the change in question isn't in the 3.7 milestone build, so I checked out o.e.debug.core and o.e.debug.ui, and everything compiles fine.

Previous Topic:How to add validation to XMLMultiPageEditorPart?
Next Topic:Error message
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:13:24 GMT 2024