Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » M2T (model-to-text transformation) » [Acceleo 3] Prevent elements from being parsed more than once(Reflexsive Template call with nested for loops parses model elemnts more than once)
[Acceleo 3] Prevent elements from being parsed more than once [message #554381] Sun, 22 August 2010 18:06 Go to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Hello
Firstable I want to excuse myself for my bad english language skills. Im a student from Germany and I use Acceleo within my Master Thesis. I ran into a problem that I couldn't solve with the help of the documentation or the existing forum posts. I really hope someone can help me.
The Problem I have is the following:

I try to generate XML Code : I have written one Template which parses the relevant Modelelements and generates the XML Tags and . All XML Tags and the Child elements of an XML Tag are generated via a reflexsive template call. Lets assume we have the following XML Tags <foo> , <bar1>,<bar2>,<bar3> . In general I want to create the following XML Structures
The XML element <foo> "wraps" each other Tag (bar1,bar2,bar3)

<foo>
<bar></bar>
</foo>
<foo>
<bar1></bar1>
</foo>
<foo>
<bar2></bar2>
</foo>

The XML element <foo> "holds" each other Tag (bar1,bar2,bar3)

<foo>
<bar1></bar1><bar2></bar2><bar3></bar3>
</foo>

The XML element <foo> "hods" no other Tag

<foo></foo>
<bar1></bar1>

The Following "Pseude Code" discribes the Template for the Genration of the XML Code and its Structure. I really hope this makes things clear.
[template public genTags(element : Element)]
[if (element.isWrapsEachChild())]
[for (child : Element | element.getChildren())]
[genOpeningTag(element)/]
[genTags (child)/]
[genClosingTag(element)/]
[/for]
[elseif (element.isHoldsChildren()) ]
[genTags (child)/]
[/for]
[else if(element.isHoldsNoChildren()) ]
[/if]
[genTags (child)/]
[/for]
[/if]
[/template]

The Problem is that I have two for loops which are parsing the child elements, Therefore the child elements are parsed more than once and therefore also created more than once. I know that it is not possible in Acceleo to define a global Variable to store the elements which are already generated. Furthermore Variables are final. Furthermore its not possible to break or stop a loop. Is there any way to define a condition which prevents elements from beeing parsed again ?

I have also tried to pass the generated Elements via a parameter each time I call the template recursively without any luck. I also tried to store and read the id of the already generated Elements in a separate File. I called a Java service Method for this. In order to keeps things synchronized I put a wait() after the flush() (To wait until the Operating System has finished writing into the file). But it seems that the template call is still faster then writing into the file I assume that a Java method which is called by a Template is run in a separate Thread. Is this right ? The following two methods I use to read and write the ids in a separate file

public void write(String elementId) {
FileWriter writer;
try {
writer = new FileWriter("path to exisiting file", true);
writer.write(elementId + "\n");
writer.flush();
writer.close();
wait(1000);
} catch (IOException e) {
// TODO Auto-generated catch block
e.printStackTrace();
} catch (InterruptedException e) {
e.printStackTrace();
}

}

public boolean read(String elementId) {
FileReader fr;
boolean found = false;
try {
fr = new FileReader("path to existing File");
BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader(fr);
String s;
while ((s = br.readLine()) != null && found == false) {
if (s.trim().replace("\n", "").equals(id.trim().replace("\n", "")))
{ found = true;
}
}
fr.close();
} catch (FileNotFoundException e) {
e.printStackTrace();
} catch (IOException e) {
e.printStackTrace();
}
return found;
}

Another thing I tried was to store the ids of generated elements in a Databasetable. I also called a java service method in the Template to do that. The following method I used to

public void writeID(String id) {
Connection conn;
try { Class.forName("com.mysql.jdbc.Driver").newInstance();
String url = "jdbc:mysql://URL FOR DB";
conn = DriverManager.getConnection(url, "username", "password");
Statement st = conn.createStatement();
st.executeUpdate("INSERT IGNORE INTO IDTABLE" + "VALUES ('" + id + "')");
conn.close();
} catch (ClassNotFoundException ex) {
System.err.println(ex.getMessage());
} catch (IllegalAccessException ex) {
} catch (InstantiationException ex) {
} finally {
return;
}
}

For some reason the Java Service method is not executed correctly. Its not going into the try block. When I execute the method as a Java Program it works. Actually im stuck and I'm really thankfull for any help.

[Updated on: Sun, 22 August 2010 18:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [Acceleo 3] Prevent elements from being parsed more than once [message #554402 is a reply to message #554381] Sun, 22 August 2010 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
s2o  is currently offline s2o Friend
Hi,

I'm sorry, if I understand, you wanna do something like http://www.15seconds.com/issue/000803.htm

well, really a recursive function tree. If this is true, you don't need / have to use global variables. The mistake should be in your function... I don't know where Smile

I searched something like "recursive function tree" in google.

s2o.
Re: [Acceleo 3] Prevent elements from being parsed more than once [message #554442 is a reply to message #554381] Mon, 23 August 2010 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephane Begaudeau is currently offline Stephane BegaudeauFriend

Hi,

If you want to prevent elements from being parsed more than once, you can create an utility class in order to keep a list of what you have manipulated. In order to be sure that it works, I have created an example in which I don't want to manipulate two classes with names that have the same length. I'm sure you can try something like this: Click me !!

Stephane Begaudeau, Obeo
Re: [Acceleo 3] Prevent elements from being parsed more than once [message #554678 is a reply to message #554381] Tue, 24 August 2010 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I manged to solve my problem by using a recursive algorithm to parse the tree structure of my Model. Thanks to everyone for your help.
Re: [Acceleo 3] Prevent elements from being parsed more than once [message #555525 is a reply to message #554678] Fri, 27 August 2010 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[query public hasBeenGenerated(id : String) : Boolean = invoke('org.pim.uml2.common.Utility',
'hasBeenGenerated(java.lang.String)', Sequence{id})/]

public static List<String> list = new ArrayList<String>();

public boolean hasBeenGenerated(String id) {
boolean result = false;
for (String str : list) {
if (str.trim() == id.trim()) {
result = true;
}
if (!result) {
list.add(id);
}
}
return list.contains(id);
}

i tried to use the utility because the model im using do not a "real" tree strucuture as it turned out thats why i need to store the parsed elements. Well the java service method always return me an empty string. an the execution of the template is stopped . I dont know what im doing wrong
Re: [Acceleo 3] Prevent elements from being parsed more than once [message #555526 is a reply to message #554678] Fri, 27 August 2010 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
public static List<String> list = new ArrayList<String>();

public boolean hasBeenGenerated(String id) {
boolean result = false;
for (String str : list) {
if (str == id) {
result = true;
}
if (!result) {
list.add(id);
}
}
return result;
}

[query public hasBeenGenerated(id : String) : Boolean = invoke('org.pim.uml2.common.Utility',
'hasBeenGenerated(java.lang.String)', Sequence{id})/]

i tried to implement the utility class but when i call the java service via the query the tempate returns me an empty string. I dont know what im doing wrong. Please help me

[Updated on: Fri, 27 August 2010 03:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [Acceleo 3] Prevent elements from being parsed more than once [message #555553 is a reply to message #554381] Fri, 27 August 2010 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephane Begaudeau is currently offline Stephane BegaudeauFriend

Hi,

With the following instruction it won't work: "if (str == id)"
You should use "str.equals(id)" or "str.equalsIgnoreCase(id)" to compare two strings but not "=="

Stephane Begaudeau, Obeo
Re: [Acceleo 3] Prevent elements from being parsed more than once [message #555742 is a reply to message #555553] Sat, 28 August 2010 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi

I changed the Method as you have suggested but unfortunatly its still not working the way it should do. I have debugged the template and the result of the java service method is 'Invalid_Class' which i think is equivalent to 'null' . Thats means that there must be an error while the execution of the java service method. Therefore i have made some test and reduced the Java Service Method so it just returns a boolean value and nothing else but the result is still 'Invalid_Class'. I have made a picture of the debug result. The picture also shows the Template and the java service method i call.

http://a.imageshack.us/img695/4218/invalidclass2.jpg

Im sorry to bother you with this again. But i have no idea why the java method returns 'Invalid_Class'. Hope the picture helps
Re: [Acceleo 3] Prevent elements from being parsed more than once [message #555760 is a reply to message #554381] Sat, 28 August 2010 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i found the Problem there was a mistake in the package path that i used in the invoke method.

But i have a question. How long does an Object life that holds the java service method when it is called in a template. What happens to the object when a template is called recursivly. Is it still the same object that is refernced by the mathod call or is a new instance generated. Im asking this because when i parse my model . The java service method i wrote always returns false even though an element is parsed more than once. One explanation for that would be that each time i call the template recursivly it creates a new Object which holds an empty List. Am i wrong or right ?
Re: [Acceleo 3] Prevent elements from being parsed more than once [message #555772 is a reply to message #555760] Sat, 28 August 2010 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As far as i understand it the variable in the Java service Method is defined static which means its independant from the existance of an object from this class. Does this mean that when i call a Java Method from my template there is no instance which gets generated ?. If that is the case what happens to the static variable after the execution of the method ? Is it still referenced by the template ? What happens when a template is called recursive like i have to to do. Is there any reference remaining or does the garbage collector delete everything ? Is there any Lifecircle Management ? Maybe i got it totally wrong.
Re: [Acceleo 3] Prevent elements from beeing parsed more then once [message #555921 is a reply to message #554381] Mon, 30 August 2010 09:05 Go to previous message
Laurent Goubet is currently offline Laurent GoubetFriend
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hi Andre,

Taking this thread "en route" isn't really easy ... I think there's a
lot of confusion here with the java services, databases and whatnot.

If I understand the core question well, you have a problem with this
generating tags more than once for a given element :

[genTags (child)/]
[/for]
[elseif (element.isHoldsChildren()) ]
[genTags (child)/]
[/for]
[else if(element.isHoldsNoChildren()) ]
[/if]
[genTags (child)/]
[/for]
[/if]
[/template]

I copy/pasted the code from your first post.

1 - Was that copy pasted from your module? if yes, Acceleo shouldn't
compile, you have an orphan "[/if]" at the end of this template.
2 - Exactly which for loop poses a problem to you? if it is the last,
couldn't you put this last loop in an "else" clause of your main if/else?
3 - You can set guards on for loops, couldn't it help? [for (child :
Element | ...) ? (element.isWrapsEachChild())/] for example.

Couldn't you use :

[genTags (child)/]
[/for]
[else]
[if (element.isHoldsChildren()]
[element.getChildren().genTags()/]
[/if]
[/if]
[/template]

Please hold the question(s) concise :p.

Laurent Goubet
Obeo

Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=utf-8;
name="laurent_goubet.vcf"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
filename="laurent_goubet.vcf"

YmVnaW46dmNhcmQNCmZuOkxhdXJlbnQgR291YmV0DQpuOkdvdWJldDtMYXVy ZW50DQpvcmc6
PGEgaHJlZj0iaHR0cDovL3d3dy5vYmVvLmZyIj5PYmVvPC9hPg0KZW1haWw7 aW50ZXJuZXQ6
bGF1cmVudC5nb3ViZXRAb2Jlby5mcg0KdXJsOmh0dHA6Ly93d3cub2Jlby5m cg0KdmVyc2lv
bjoyLjENCmVuZDp2Y2FyZA0KDQo=
--------------060001010207030007070809--
Previous Topic:[Xpand] Running Xpand from Java can't find Xtend generator extension file
Next Topic:Acceleo 3 Create folder in an acceleo main
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:27:41 GMT 2024