Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Editor extremely slow when working in large file(How to disable all keystroke actions when editing large files)
Editor extremely slow when working in large file [message #554234] Fri, 20 August 2010 16:14 Go to next message
Jeff Bruns is currently offline Jeff BrunsFriend
I'm editing a PHP file that consists of 24615 lines. When I'm starting a new line, or editing a block of non-text, everything works as expected.

However when I'm editing inside a set of quotation marks, or if I open a quotation to do something like assign a string to a variable, everything slows to a creep. Each key press takes roughly 2 seconds before it appears on the screen and at times, Windows warns that Eclipse itself is not responding. I've never had to kill Eclipse because of an unresponsive process, but when it occurs it takes about 5 or 6 seconds to begin responding again.

I've tried disabling/enabling every setting I can find, all to no avail. I've suspended all validators, I've disabled the option to "report problems as I type", I've disabled all code assist options. Nothing seems to make a difference.

I've even downgraded from Galileo to Europa 3.3.2 in an effort to get a handle on this problem. While Europa seems to be a little more tolerable, Galileo was unbearable. I've even gone so far as to use Pulse explorer to customize my Eclipse build. Still no luck.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Editor extremely slow when working in large file [message #555071 is a reply to message #554234] Wed, 25 August 2010 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reto Heygel is currently offline Reto HeygelFriend
I'm having this problem, too, since upgrading from Ganymede to Galileo or Helios on a brand new Windows 7 system with 4 CPUs and 8GB RAM. There are lots of freezes of 5-10 sconds, so it's really impossible to work. I tried to disable many options without success. Restarting Eclipse helps sometimes, but after some time, the freezes are coming again.

Downgrading to Ganymede does help, but this isn't an interesting option of course.
icon13.gif  Re: Editor extremely slow when working in large file [message #555484 is a reply to message #554234] Thu, 26 August 2010 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Charlton is currently offline Chris CharltonFriend
I am on Mac OS X 10.6.4 using Helios + PDT 2.2 but my memory heap is filling up within seconds of opening a Drupal (PHP) project. I increased my eclipse.ini memory settings but still my memory heap is always getting full! Eclipse then wants to exit the Workspace. When I restart and open a single file my heap goes up 1MB with every click in the document, literally with every single click! DLTK spins up and its bye-bye RAM.

Every version of Eclipse/PDT I have used has never been this bad and I'm very disappointed. Honestly, I do not want to move to another editor and am shocked to find so many posts of people's Helios crapping out on them.
Re: Editor extremely slow when working in large file [message #555541 is a reply to message #555484] Fri, 27 August 2010 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sNop is currently offline sNopFriend
This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 2440 and 3156)
--------------enigFA566540475AD5BCB6AD4768
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hi Chris,

pls create ticket at https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/

On 26. 8. 2010 20:04, Chris Charlton wrote:
> I am on Mac OS X 10.6.4 using Helios + PDT 2.2 but my memory heap is fi=
lling up within seconds of opening a Drupal (PHP) project. I increased my=
eclipse.ini memory settings but still my memory heap is always getting f=
ull! Eclipse then wants to exit
> the Workspace. When I restart and open a single file my heap goes up 1M=
B with every click in the document, literally with every single click! DL=
TK spins up and its bye-bye RAM.
>=20
> Every version of Eclipse/PDT I have used has never been this bad and I'=
m very disappointed. Honestly, I do not want to move to another editor an=
d am shocked to find so many posts of people's Helios crapping out on the=
m.

--------------enigFA566540475AD5BCB6AD4768
Content-Type: application/pgp-signature; name="signature.asc"
Content-Description: OpenPGP digital signature
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="signature.asc"

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.14 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAkx3XYcACgkQkCAxuhXMpxXnRQCfRTirt+WoGQSEx3dJ6Usl eP7S
WKQAnRBV/XU7UkGVadUBU0oVJaZKppIq
=SXmX
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--------------enigFA566540475AD5BCB6AD4768--
Re: Editor extremely slow when working in large file [message #555640 is a reply to message #554234] Fri, 27 August 2010 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeff Bruns is currently offline Jeff BrunsFriend
After reading a few of your replies I did a couple searches on Eclipse + eclipse.ini + memory and found this page in particular:

Eclipse 3.2 running out of memory

According to the author, the memory exhaustion issue is specific to Eclipse 3.2, but I suspect it may be related to what some of us are experiencing.

The author does provide a solution, although I haven't tested it yet. Just thought I'd pass it along.
Re: Editor extremely slow when working in large file [message #558300 is a reply to message #555541] Fri, 10 September 2010 21:18 Go to previous message
Chris Charlton is currently offline Chris CharltonFriend
After removing the JavaScript support of my PHP projects my Eclipse 3.6 + PDT 2.2 is now behaving and not eating up all my RAM. What a funny bug.

UPDATE: It appears my Eclipse 3.6/PDT2.2 is only now sometimes filling up all the memory allocated to it. It still gets a loaded memory heap in large Drupal projects.

Mac OS X 10.6.4 - i5 CPU - 8GB DDR3 RAM - Eclipse 3.6 + PDT 2.2

[Updated on: Sat, 11 September 2010 17:56]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:XDebug - Incompatible Debug Server Version
Next Topic:PDT 2.2 "Open declaration" is broken
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:47:00 GMT 2024