Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Subversive » using linked folders
using linked folders [message #553735] Wed, 18 August 2010 15:57 Go to next message
theron  is currently offline theron Friend
I have a c project which has a link to some source files. I used "new folder"->"link to folder in file system" to bring the folder in. The folder that I linked to is under version control using SVN. The problem that I am seeing is that none of the fiiles in the linked folder show up as being under SVN control. They don't have the label decorations in Project Explorer, etc.
Is there a way to use SVN with linked files?
Re: using linked folders [message #553866 is a reply to message #553735] Thu, 19 August 2010 09:00 Go to previous message
olly2 Mising name is currently offline olly2 Mising nameFriend
Hello Theron,
I had the same question some time ago. The answer was very disappointing to me: no, it is not possible.

If you think a little over it then it comes more and more clear that this scenario is not easy to implement.

Well, as you know, subversion uses a central library to manage your local copy of the project, the working copy (wc). When using subversive you also need to install a "connector" which is an fact exactly this library - ok, you can choose between two different library implementation, ether JavaHL that connects Java programms to the original SVN library (which is implemented in C) or a pure Java implementation of that library named SvnKIT. In the end all SVN activities from Eclipse are passed to one of these libraries.

Now, as you now SVNs wc has the limitation that it is not "distributed", there is allways a directory where the wc starts (the first one including a .svn subdirectory).

Eclipse is more flexible in this than subversion. It can link folders to your project, but subversion cannot. Subversion has its own concept to link other project in, please refer to the svn:externals property here:http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.externals.html

I think there was a discussion somewhere of an eclipse file system to overcome this, but I do not remember where I found this.

In the end it is like this: Subversion itselfe, namely the wc library, does not support this kind of link as eclipse does. Because of this you must use the svn link concept. It is not a problem of subverive (or subclipse).

Hopefuly this helps you a little bit.

Best regards,
Olaf
Previous Topic:directory conflict because of svn:ignore
Next Topic:SVN authentication issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:06:11 GMT 2024