Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Modeling (top-level project) » Shoot me now and get it over with(Which of the myriad of EMF plugins will create me a simple Statechart)
Shoot me now and get it over with [message #552858] Fri, 13 August 2010 19:45 Go to next message
Steve Cohen is currently offline Steve CohenFriend
I've just installed the whole kit and kaboodle of the Eclipse Modeling into My Eclipse Helios Workspace.

Is any of this massive package ready for Prime Time?

All I want is the ability to draw a simple State Diagram that captures the essential workings of some legacy C code that I have to maintain and enhance.

Having installed this mass, I now find myself with a myriad of "New" choices, none of which appear to do anything useful.

For example, there is Payprus. I can create a Papyrus project, into which I can add a new StateMachine diagram. Lovely. I now go into this new State Machine diagram where a right click menu item lets me add not States, Transitions and the like but ovals, triangles, rectangles, 3D rectangles and other graphics objects. But even these don't really work. If I select any of these, I can move my mouse back to the diagram and extend a dotted-line rectangular bounding box, which goes away as soon as I take my finger off the mouse button.

Of what earthly use is this, and why was it released in this form? This isn't even close to Alpha quality. True, I was warned that Papyrus was still in development, but why release anything this primitive?

OK, So maybe Papyrus isn't what I want.

Can someone suggest anything else from this massive installation that will let me draw a reasonable State Machine diagram? I don't want it to generate code. I just want to draw a nice picture of existing code. Nothing I've found on the menus appears at all useful to me.

I'd happily use Visio if their State Machine Diagram tool wasn't also broken.

I am just wondering if this whole Framework is at this point meant only for its developers. Is there something unofficial that works better?

<end of rant>

Re: Shoot me now and get it over with [message #552862 is a reply to message #552858] Fri, 13 August 2010 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex Mising name is currently offline Alex Mising nameFriend
Works fine for me. [In the Papyrus Project with UML Model with State Machine diagram and Palette view open,] Click on StateMachine in the Palette (under Nodes), then click on the diagram canvas. (Note that it is not quite drag-and-drop from Palette to canvas, you choose a tool in Palette and then apply it on canvas, possibly multiple times.) Click on State in the Palette, then click within StateMachine box rectangle on the canvas. Add another state. Click on Transition in Palette (under Edges), then on first state on the canvas (don't release the mouse button), then on second state.
Re: Shoot me now and get it over with [message #552877 is a reply to message #552862] Fri, 13 August 2010 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't even have this Palette View.

How do you get it to come up? Can you say what you installed to get this to show up? Could I have left something out? And if so, I wonder why it didn't complain.

As I said, all I see is the Add menu with a bunch of geometric shape possibilities.

Re: Shoot me now and get it over with [message #552880 is a reply to message #552877] Fri, 13 August 2010 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex Mising name is currently offline Alex Mising nameFriend
Eclipse Modeling Tools package (eclipse-modeling-helios-incubation-win32-x86_64.zip in my case) + Papyrus via Modeling Component Discovery (Help > Install Modeling Components) -> Papyrus version 0.7.0.v201007251735.
Re: Shoot me now and get it over with [message #552887 is a reply to message #552880] Sat, 14 August 2010 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, thanks. I now understand.

Palette is a view of the Modeling Framework. When a statechart diagram is active, the and the Palette View is open, the palette shows what it is supposed to.

Otherwise, you can't really interact with the diagram.

It's very rough, obviously not a finished product, but it does work. It threw a few errors but produced a reasonably useful diagram.

Needs a little documentation, I think. I was looking for something to do with Papyrus. It wasn't clear to me that I needed to open the palette view.

Thanks.

Re: Shoot me now and get it over with [message #552928 is a reply to message #552858] Sat, 14 August 2010 15:59 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Steve,

Open source is what it is. The stuff you get for free isn't being
developed for free. Real time, effort, and hence dollars must go into
it. How much money do you think is going into the commercial tools
compared to the free ones? And if you think about it more deeply, what
do you imagine is the compelling incentive for creating a commercial
quality UML tool that can compete with the excellent thousand dollar
commercial tools, most of which are based on Eclipse modeling components
these days. There actually is a strong incentive, but I'll bet it's not
obvious; it's most certainly not being done to please the poor and needy
developers of the world. It's always about return on investment....

Steve Cohen wrote:
> I've just installed the whole kit and kaboodle of the Eclipse Modeling
> into My Eclipse Helios Workspace.
>
> Is any of this massive package ready for Prime Time?
>
> All I want is the ability to draw a simple State Diagram that captures
> the essential workings of some legacy C code that I have to maintain
> and enhance.
>
> Having installed this mass, I now find myself with a myriad of "New"
> choices, none of which appear to do anything useful.
>
> For example, there is Payprus. I can create a Papyrus project, into
> which I can add a new StateMachine diagram. Lovely. I now go into
> this new State Machine diagram where a right click menu item lets me
> add not States, Transitions and the like but ovals, triangles,
> rectangles, 3D rectangles and other graphics objects. But even these
> don't really work. If I select any of these, I can move my mouse back
> to the diagram and extend a dotted-line rectangular bounding box,
> which goes away as soon as I take my finger off the mouse button.
> Of what earthly use is this, and why was it released in this form?
> This isn't even close to Alpha quality. True, I was warned that
> Papyrus was still in development, but why release anything this
> primitive?
>
> OK, So maybe Papyrus isn't what I want.
> Can someone suggest anything else from this massive installation that
> will let me draw a reasonable State Machine diagram? I don't want it
> to generate code. I just want to draw a nice picture of existing
> code. Nothing I've found on the menus appears at all useful to me.
>
> I'd happily use Visio if their State Machine Diagram tool wasn't also
> broken.
>
> I am just wondering if this whole Framework is at this point meant
> only for its developers. Is there something unofficial that works
> better?
>
> <end of rant>
>
>
>