Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Tycho » Concerned by lack of forum activity
Concerned by lack of forum activity [message #547409] Fri, 16 July 2010 16:32 Go to next message
Konstantin Komissarchik is currently offline Konstantin KomissarchikFriend
I am a little concerned by the lack of activity on this forum. Could the project team describe the means via which the community discussion of this proposal has taken place?

Thanks,

- Konstantin
Re: Concerned by lack of forum activity [message #547568 is a reply to message #547409] Sun, 18 July 2010 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason van Zyl is currently offline Jason van ZylFriend
Our mailing list which is at tycho-users@lists.sonatype.com. It's very active. None of us use forums, and we polled our users to see whether they wanted to move the project to Apache or Eclipse. We figured we would continue using the mechanism of communication our users were already accustomed to. I'm honestly not a big fan of forums and when we switch the project over, we'll likely continue to use the mailing list as the primary form of communication.

Re: Concerned by lack of forum activity [message #547569 is a reply to message #547568] Sun, 18 July 2010 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The forum is munging the list name:

tycho-users at lists.sonatype.com
Re: Concerned by lack of forum activity [message #547639 is a reply to message #547409] Mon, 19 July 2010 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan Sievers is currently offline Jan SieversFriend
as Jason already stated, discussion currently still takes place on tycho-users@lists.sonatype.com
See the mailing list archive for the discussion thread on where to move the tycho project

http://software.2206966.n2.nabble.com/Future-of-Tycho-td4292 478.html#a4292478

Re: Concerned by lack of forum activity [message #547816 is a reply to message #547409] Mon, 19 July 2010 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
> Our mailing list which is at tycho-users@lists.sonatype.com. It's very
> active. None of us use forums, and we polled our users to see whether
> they wanted to move the project to Apache or Eclipse. We figured we
> would continue using the mechanism of communication our users were
> already accustomed to. I'm honestly not a big fan of forums and when
> we switch the project over, we'll likely continue to use the mailing list as
> the primary form of communication.

Thanks for clarification, Jason. My concerns are as follows:

1. You seem to indicate intention to continue using the sonatype mailing list for this project's communication's. I hope I misread that and you intend to transition to a mailing list provided by Eclipse.org.

2. This forum was presented as the main communication channel for the proposal, but it was not monitored by the project team. Questions were posed and not answered. At the very least, the project team should have posted a message directing people to the location where communication is taking place and assign someone to monitor this channel for stray questions.

- Konstantin
Re: Concerned by lack of forum activity [message #548286 is a reply to message #547816] Wed, 21 July 2010 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As for 1) you misunderstand. If the project is here then we'll use a mailing list here at Eclipse. As for 2) it was an oversight. We just don't use forums for any of our projects. I just copied a project template, like everyone else does, and missed that part.

So here I'll direct everyone at the mailing list if they have any other concerns as then the rest of our community can't participate here. It's most likely none of our users even know this forum exists.

Jason
Re: Concerned by lack of forum activity [message #548419 is a reply to message #547568] Wed, 21 July 2010 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Werner Keil is currently offline Werner KeilFriend
Jason,

I know, this may not be directly about Tycho, unless it provides means for
other Eclipse projects to get their libraries onto a central Maven
repository?

The Units of Measure API has just been relocated to Google Code, also to be
a little closer to Eclipse and Eclipse Labs. While the Eclipse project UOMo
is in proposal stage and therefore hasn't got its code repo here yet, the
core API is stable and considered pretty final at 0.5, so what's the best
way to get it to central Maven repositories?

We use Maven already, and a key committer, GeoAPI is currently adjusting
their Hudson Build server to work with the new repository:
http://code.google.com/p/unitsofmeasure/

We'd love to use the parts of Tycho that make sense for each of the
projects. And given Units of Measure API is a dependency for the UOMo
codebase, all of them are built as OSGi bundles.

P.s.: If it isn't too much effort, I'd appreciate if somebody added
",emergn" under interested parties, at least if other content was changed
there ;-)

Werner
Re: Concerned by lack of forum activity [message #548550 is a reply to message #548419] Thu, 22 July 2010 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The best and easiest way for OSS projects to get into Maven Central is to use our hosted Nexus instance for Open Source projects. You can read more about it here:

https://docs.sonatype.org/display/repository/sonatype+oss+ma ven+repository+usage+guide

We already host several hundred projects. Once you go through the process of demonstrating you are generating correct PGP signatures, Javadocs, Source JAR and the POM information is correct then the process becomes fully automated.

Jason
Re: Concerned by lack of forum activity [message #564080 is a reply to message #547409] Sun, 18 July 2010 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Our mailing list which is at mailto:tycho-users@lists.sonatype.com. It's very active. None of us use forums, and we polled our users to see whether they wanted to move the project to Apache or Eclipse. We figured we would continue using the mechanism of communication our users were already accustomed to. I'm honestly not a big fan of forums and when we switch the project over, we'll likely continue to use the mailing list as the primary form of communication.
Re: Concerned by lack of forum activity [message #564132 is a reply to message #547409] Mon, 19 July 2010 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan Sievers is currently offline Jan SieversFriend
as Jason already stated, discussion currently still takes place on mailto:tycho-users@lists.sonatype.com
See the mailing list archive for the discussion thread on where to move the tycho project

http://software.2206966.n2.nabble.com/Future-of-Tycho-td4292 478.html#a4292478
Re: Concerned by lack of forum activity [message #564154 is a reply to message #547409] Mon, 19 July 2010 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
> Our mailing list which is at mailto:tycho-users@lists.sonatype.com. It's very
> active. None of us use forums, and we polled our users to see whether
> they wanted to move the project to Apache or Eclipse. We figured we
> would continue using the mechanism of communication our users were
> already accustomed to. I'm honestly not a big fan of forums and when
> we switch the project over, we'll likely continue to use the mailing list as
> the primary form of communication.

Thanks for clarification, Jason. My concerns are as follows:

1. You seem to indicate intention to continue using the sonatype mailing list for this project's communication's. I hope I misread that and you intend to transition to a mailing list provided by Eclipse.org.

2. This forum was presented as the main communication channel for the proposal, but it was not monitored by the project team. Questions were posed and not answered. At the very least, the project team should have posted a message directing people to the location where communication is taking place and assign someone to monitor this channel for stray questions.

- Konstantin
Re: Concerned by lack of forum activity [message #564168 is a reply to message #564154] Wed, 21 July 2010 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As for 1) you misunderstand. If the project is here then we'll use a mailing list here at Eclipse. As for 2) it was an oversight. We just don't use forums for any of our projects. I just copied a project template, like everyone else does, and missed that part.

So here I'll direct everyone at the mailing list if they have any other concerns as then the rest of our community can't participate here. It's most likely none of our users even know this forum exists.

Jason
Re: Concerned by lack of forum activity [message #564182 is a reply to message #564080] Wed, 21 July 2010 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Werner Keil is currently offline Werner KeilFriend
Jason,

I know, this may not be directly about Tycho, unless it provides means for
other Eclipse projects to get their libraries onto a central Maven
repository?

The Units of Measure API has just been relocated to Google Code, also to be
a little closer to Eclipse and Eclipse Labs. While the Eclipse project UOMo
is in proposal stage and therefore hasn't got its code repo here yet, the
core API is stable and considered pretty final at 0.5, so what's the best
way to get it to central Maven repositories?

We use Maven already, and a key committer, GeoAPI is currently adjusting
their Hudson Build server to work with the new repository:
http://code.google.com/p/unitsofmeasure/

We'd love to use the parts of Tycho that make sense for each of the
projects. And given Units of Measure API is a dependency for the UOMo
codebase, all of them are built as OSGi bundles.

P.s.: If it isn't too much effort, I'd appreciate if somebody added
",emergn" under interested parties, at least if other content was changed
there ;-)

Werner
Re: Concerned by lack of forum activity [message #564202 is a reply to message #548419] Thu, 22 July 2010 10:34 Go to previous message
The best and easiest way for OSS projects to get into Maven Central is to use our hosted Nexus instance for Open Source projects. You can read more about it here:

https://docs.sonatype.org/display/repository/sonatype+oss+ma ven+repository+usage+guide

We already host several hundred projects. Once you go through the process of demonstrating you are generating correct PGP signatures, Javadocs, Source JAR and the POM information is correct then the process becomes fully automated.

Jason
Previous Topic:Re: Concerned by lack of forum activity
Next Topic:JBoss Tools now 100% Built with Tycho
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 11:16:31 GMT 2024