Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » HTML encoding cp1252
HTML encoding cp1252 [message #544730] Mon, 05 July 2010 11:44 Go to next message
Rik Missing name is currently offline Rik Missing nameFriend
Maybe is not too much related to PDT even if I'm using PDT all in one package... I'll try asking here.

Little Problem: in preferences->web->html->Encoding, I can't enter an arbitrary IANA name/encoding nor I find what I need (cp1252). I can do that in workspace file encoding or project encoding, but not on html encoding.

So when creating a new html file, automatically set a meta http-equiv that I must change manually from utf-8 or iso-8859-1 to windows-1252 or cp1252 (both valid Iana name)
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=cp1252" />

This happens on Linux but also on Windows platform.

A simple solution is to change the template, but I want anyway hilight this point because:
Quote:
the draft HTML 5 specification requires that documents advertised as ISO-8859-1 actually be parsed with the Windows-1252 encoding.

So, shouldn't be possibile to set html encoding to cp1252? Rolling Eyes
[OT]Re: HTML encoding cp1252 [message #544959 is a reply to message #544730] Tue, 06 July 2010 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toshihiro Izumi is currently offline Toshihiro IzumiFriend
(Off Topic)
It seems that cp1252 is not a valid IANA name.
http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets
windows-1252 is valid, so I guess it should be possible to set it to charset. (I don't mean windows-1252 is preferable)

Though I have not minded it, there are only 26 items in the Encoding listbox. They are defined in wst.sse.core plug-in. I can extend it by localization mechanism like Language Pack, maybe it is not the right way...

You will be able to get the right answer at
Eclipse Community Forums: Web Tools Project (WTP)
Re: [OT]Re: HTML encoding cp1252 [message #544990 is a reply to message #544959] Tue, 06 July 2010 09:46 Go to previous message
Rik Missing name is currently offline Rik Missing nameFriend
I said cp1252 because is shorter and because the word windows make me feel bad Smile , but there is no problem if I must write windows-1252.

The fact is that for Italy, Windows 1252 is the best 8 bit charset in the world, because has all one can type on the keyboard plus some signs that people can copy/paste from documents like Word ('...", and so on), and since the vast majority of PC users use Windows, everything you can use in Italy is covered (and is useable also for German, France, and English that are the languages italia sites use for tourism).

Since bare PHP is for 8 bits, and since I never need applications that manage greek or other languages for wich utf-8 and mbstring is needed, I stay away from utf-8 till the day PHP will support natively.

Quote:
Though I have not minded it, there are only 26 items in the Encoding listbox. They are defined in wst.sse.core plug-in. I can extend it by localization mechanism like Language Pack, maybe it is not the right way...

Take care on one fact that many don't consider: I'm using Linux with $LANG=it_IT.utf8 but $LANGUAGE=en

Though I'm italian, I prefer software in english language + LC it for date, money, ecc.
So don't make too much choices based on language.

Thank you very much.
Previous Topic:ctype_digit()-Some basic function not in PDT 2.2.0 binary?
Next Topic:Eclipse PDT & MAMP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:38:05 GMT 2024