Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » DSDP - Target Management » cant create a new connection
cant create a new connection [message #544420] Fri, 02 July 2010 15:42 Go to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
I've freshly installed Eclipse Helios - PHP, and installed everything related to RSE to try to fix this.

Trying to create a new Linux connection, I enter the address of the host, and I click Finish, I immediately get RSEG1003U - "An unexpected exception has occured."

Setup:
Windows 7 x64
Eclipse x64
Java x64

I also get the same error with 32-bit Eclipse and Java builds. I installed x64 versions to see if error would go away, but nope.

Below are the contents of the "Details" for this error.

java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.eclipse.rse.internal.persistence.dom.RSEDOMExporter.createNode(RSEDOMExporter.java:383)

at org.eclipse.rse.internal.persistence.dom.RSEDOMExporter.createNode(RSEDOMExporter.java:348)

at org.eclipse.rse.internal.persistence.dom.RSEDOMExporter.populateRSEDOM(RSEDOMExporter.java:142)

at org.eclipse.rse.internal.persistence.dom.RSEDOMExporter.createRSEDOM(RSEDOMExporter.java:92)

at org.eclipse.rse.internal.persistence.RSEPersistenceManager.save(RSEPersistenceManager.java:555)

at org.eclipse.rse.internal.persistence.RSEPersistenceManager.commitProfile(RSEPersistenceManager.java:257)

at org.eclipse.rse.internal.core.model.SystemProfileManager.commitSystemProfile(SystemProfileManager.java:117)

at org.eclipse.rse.internal.core.model.SystemProfile.commit(SystemProfile.java:272)

at org.eclipse.rse.internal.core.model.SystemProfileManager.commitProfiles(SystemProfileManager.java:108)

at org.eclipse.rse.internal.core.model.SystemProfileManager.runOperation(SystemProfileManager.java:99)

at org.eclipse.rse.internal.core.model.SystemProfileManager.run(SystemProfileManager.java:86)

at org.eclipse.rse.internal.core.model.SystemRegistry.createHost(SystemRegistry.java:1629)

at org.eclipse.rse.internal.core.model.SystemRegistry.createHost(SystemRegistry.java:1529)

at org.eclipse.rse.ui.wizards.newconnection.RSEDefaultNewConnectionWizard.performFinish(RSEDefaultNewConnectionWizard.java:388)

at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.finishPressed(WizardDialog.java:811)

at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.buttonPressed(WizardDialog.java:430)

at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.Dialog$2.widgetSelected(Dialog.java:624)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:234)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1053)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4066)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3657)

at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:825)

at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:801)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.WizardHandler$New.executeHandler(WizardHandler.java:254)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.WizardHandler.execute(WizardHandler.java:274)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.HandlerProxy.execute(HandlerProxy.java:293)

at org.eclipse.core.commands.Command.executeWithChecks(Command.java:476)

at org.eclipse.core.commands.ParameterizedCommand.executeWithChecks(ParameterizedCommand.java:508)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.HandlerService.executeCommand(HandlerService.java:169)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.SlaveHandlerService.executeCommand(SlaveHandlerService.java:241)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.actions.CommandAction.runWithEvent(CommandAction.java:157)

at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:584)

at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(ActionContributionItem.java:501)

at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$5.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:411)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1053)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4066)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3657)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2629)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2593)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2427)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$7.run(Workbench.java:670)

at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:663)

at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:115)

at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:369)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:619)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:574)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1407)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1383)
Re: cant create a new connection [message #544428 is a reply to message #544420] Fri, 02 July 2010 15:57 Go to previous message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
I already figured out the problem:

After looking at the details, I see that it all goes wrong when it tries to save some data related to the connection.

I'm a sucker for consistency, so I dropped the Eclipse folder in Program Files. I'm assuming RSE didn't have the approprate permissions to write there, so it just failed. Eclipse folder is now on my desktop and RSE works great!

Now why the hell doesn't Eclipse have a proper installer so it can live with the rest of my programs?! Cool
Previous Topic:Can't open RSE Perspective
Next Topic:SSH tunnel through a Bastion host ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:43:28 GMT 2024