Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Subversive » Helios JEE: subversive installed but does not show up
Helios JEE: subversive installed but does not show up [message #544308] Fri, 02 July 2010 09:54 Go to next message
Reynald Borer is currently offline Reynald BorerFriend
Hello all,

I am facing a very strange issue that is quite annoying. I have recently downloaded and installed Eclipse Helios release, more specifically the Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers package. After having launched it, I installed the "Subversive - SVN Team Provider" feature through Eclipse market place, and restarted Eclipse.

There was no error during installation, but now I cannot see anywhere any reference to this plugin, as if it was not enabled. If I check for the installed features, I can see the plugin is here, and seems to be correctly started.

I remember that I also had this problem with Eclipse 3.5 Java EE version, and I had to stick with the classic package and install all required plugins to see the subversive features enabled.

Is there a known incompatibility between the JEE package and subversive ?

Thanks for your help,
Reynald

P.S: I am running under Linux, maybe this has an impact.
Re: Helios JEE: subversive installed but does not show up [message #544330 is a reply to message #544308] Fri, 02 July 2010 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reynald Borer is currently offline Reynald BorerFriend
I reply to myself because I found the problem. I have installed Eclipse as root under /opt/eclipse-3.6. Which means that the current user I am using does not have write access to this folder.

Thus, it installs subversive in another folder in my home directory. This seems to cause issue to subversive in case the Java EE edition of Eclipse is used, but not the classic one. May it be that there are different classloaders for plugins depending on the installation folder ?

Anyway, I solved my issue by installing eclipse directly in my home folder. But I do not like this setup as it requires me to duplicate the installation for each user.

Do you think this issue should be reported as a bug ? Or am I the only one using this specific setup ?

Cheers,
Reynald
Re: Helios JEE: subversive installed but does not show up [message #544648 is a reply to message #544330] Mon, 05 July 2010 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Igor Burilo is currently offline Igor BuriloFriend
Hello Reynald,

I once saw similar defect with installing Eclipse in root directory.
Probably you should report a defect to Eclipse to confirm that problem
still exists for Helios (if it's the same problem).

> I reply to myself because I found the problem. I have installed Eclipse
> as root under /opt/eclipse-3.6. Which means that the current user I am
> using does not have write access to this folder.
>
> Thus, it installs subversive in another folder in my home directory.
> This seems to cause issue to subversive in case the Java EE edition of
> Eclipse is used, but not the classic one. May it be that there are
> different classloaders for plugins depending on the installation folder ?
>
> Anyway, I solved my issue by installing eclipse directly in my home
> folder. But I do not like this setup as it requires me to duplicate the
> installation for each user.
>
> Do you think this issue should be reported as a bug ? Or am I the only
> one using this specific setup ?
>
> Cheers,
> Reynald
>

--
Best regards,
Igor Burilo
Re: Helios JEE: subversive installed but does not show up [message #555680 is a reply to message #544330] Fri, 27 August 2010 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Markus Braasch is currently offline Markus BraaschFriend
I had the same problem with the Subclipse plugin and Task Repository Connectors on Windows 7.

This is probably because the OS does not allow Eclipse to write certain files in its directory c:\program files\eclipse . Normally Windows would send a security permission request to the user if the application tries to write to a file / folder but gets denied. In case if Eclipse this does not work currently, it seems.

I would suggest to add this issue as an FAQ entry or something similar. A number of other users may get frustrated with Eclipse because of this issue (there is no error message, it just does not work).

The problem went away when I installed Eclipse Helios in the Documents folder of my user.

Blessings,
Markus
http://www.cross.tv/markus
Re: Helios JEE: subversive installed but does not show up [message #555964 is a reply to message #544308] Mon, 30 August 2010 12:08 Go to previous message
Hugh is currently offline HughFriend
I'm trying to install Helios on vista and everything seems to be installed, but there is no option New -> Project -> Projects From SVN and the svn options in Windows -> Preferences -> Team don't exist either.
I already have Galileo installed and SVN work fine.
Any ideas how to get this to work?
Previous Topic:Subversive unusable, fails with "Unable to locate login configuration"
Next Topic:Overwrite and update doesn't replace local copy with repository copy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:16:19 GMT 2024