Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » RCP application no longer able to update after migrating to Helios
RCP application no longer able to update after migrating to Helios [message #544195] Thu, 01 July 2010 23:53 Go to next message
Eric Jain is currently offline Eric JainFriend
With the help of some black magic I had managed to get an RCP application to use a p2 repository to check for updates.

Unfortunately the setup no longer works after migrating from Eclipse 3.5 to 3.6. The headless build still has generate.p2.metadata set=true and appears to populate the repository and create the same p2 directory etc within the product.

But when I start the RCP application, I am warned that "the update checker service is not initialized", and when I run a "Check for Updates..." I get: "Could not locate the running profile instance. The eclipse.p2.data.area and eclipse.p2.profile properties may not be set correctly in this application's config.ini file." The config.ini file is almost identical to the previous one (other than some version numbers).

Didn't touch the configuration when I upgraded, though I did have to remove two plugins that no longer exist from the product definition (org.eclipse.equinox.p2.exemplarysetup and org.eclipse.core.resources.compatibility) and add a bunch (looks like org.eclipse.equinox.p2.ui.sdk now depends on org.eclipse.compare which depends on org.eclipse.ui.editors which depends on a dozen other plugins...).

Did anyone else encounter a similar problem?
Re: RCP application no longer able to update after migrating to Helios [message #544482 is a reply to message #544195] Fri, 02 July 2010 19:33 Go to previous message
Eric Jain is currently offline Eric JainFriend
Also noticed that Help > About > Installation Details fails with:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.ProvUIActivator.addProvisioningListener(ProvUIActivator.java:106)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.dialogs.InstalledIUGroup.createViewer(InstalledIUGroup.java:75)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.dialogs.StructuredIUGroup.createGroupComposite(StructuredIUGroup.java:80)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.dialogs.InstalledIUGroup.<init>(InstalledIUGroup.java:51)
at org.eclipse.equinox.p2.ui.InstalledSoftwarePage.createControl(InstalledSoftwarePage.java:95)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.about.InstallationDialog.tabSelected(InstallationDialog.java:274)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.about.InstallationDialog.createContents(InstallationDialog.java:245)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.create(Window.java:431)
at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.Dialog.create(Dialog.java:1089)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:790)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.dialogs.AboutDialog$1.run(AboutDialog.java:126)
at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:70)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.dialogs.AboutDialog.buttonPressed(AboutDialog.java:121)
at ...

and:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.model.ProfileElement.getQueryable(ProfileElement.java:55)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.QueryProvider.getQueryDescriptor(QueryProvider.java:54)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.model.QueriedElement.fetchChildren(QueriedElement.java:102)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.model.RemoteQueriedElement.fetchDeferredChildren(RemoteQueriedElement.java:34)
at org.eclipse.ui.progress.DeferredTreeContentManager$1.run(DeferredTreeContentManager.java:235)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

So something isn't quite right, but what?
Previous Topic:Menu Contribution Toggle Button issue
Next Topic:Bug 277411 workaround somewhere?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:50:35 GMT 2024