Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Object flows on activity diagrams
Object flows on activity diagrams [message #543022] Mon, 28 June 2010 08:47 Go to next message
SophieR is currently offline SophieRFriend
We want to use Papyrus as the UML tool linked to a plugin we are developing for the design of services, in the context of a research project.
However, I have a problem with object flows and activity diagrams: It seems I cannot create object flows to link object nodes (data store nodes) and actions, the interface always asks to create pins. However, I do not want to create pins but want to use the shorthand notation showing an object node between two actions, separated by object flows (If I'm not mistaken this is explained in the "UML 2.3 superstructure" pdf page 418, and it should be semantically equivalent). I had the impression from previous projects that this notation was far more understandable to non-IT users than the notation with input/output pins, so it is fairly important to us.
So my question is: is this a current limitation of papyrus or is this the intended behavior? will it be changed before the first release?
I'm using the nightly release from last thursday on Helios.

Thank you,

Sophie
Re: Object flows on activity diagrams [message #543191 is a reply to message #543022] Mon, 28 June 2010 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vincent   is currently offline Vincent Friend
As said about this notation :

In Figure 12.107, upper right, the two object flow arrows denote a single
object flow edge between two pins in the underlying model, as shown in the lower middle of the figure

This shorthand notation has not been implemented in Papyrus activity diagram. We chosed not to, because having a single representation for two model objects may cause problems in Papyrus and this notation was not in our priorities.

On the other hand, if you create one of the two pins which really exist, the wizard is automatically pre-filled to create the second pin identically.

This shorthand notation will not be implemented for the first release. Currently, in Papyrus, you will have to use the full notation with both pins, which really correspond to the model.

Regards,
Vincent.
Re: Object flows on activity diagrams [message #543246 is a reply to message #543191] Mon, 28 June 2010 19:16 Go to previous message
Hello,

Thank you for your precise answer.
Then we will use the "normal" pins, at least for now.

Regards,

Sophie
Re: Object flows on activity diagrams [message #602177 is a reply to message #543022] Mon, 28 June 2010 16:23 Go to previous message
Vincent   is currently offline Vincent Friend
As said about this notation :

In Figure 12.107, upper right, the two object flow arrows denote a single
object flow edge between two pins in the underlying model, as shown in the lower middle of the figure

This shorthand notation has not been implemented in Papyrus activity diagram. We chosed not to, because having a single representation for two model objects may cause problems in Papyrus and this notation was not in our priorities.

On the other hand, if you create one of the two pins which really exist, the wizard is automatically pre-filled to create the second pin identically.

This shorthand notation will not be implemented for the first release. Currently, in Papyrus, you will have to use the full notation with both pins, which really correspond to the model.

Regards,
Vincent.
Re: Object flows on activity diagrams [message #602195 is a reply to message #543191] Mon, 28 June 2010 19:16 Go to previous message
Hello,

Thank you for your precise answer.
Then we will use the "normal" pins, at least for now.

Regards,

Sophie
Previous Topic:Object flows on activity diagrams
Next Topic:Papyrus 1.12: Does UML OCL validation on models really work?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:08:48 GMT 2024