Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » creating a php project using existing folder(creating a php project with phpeclipse)
creating a php project using existing folder [message #542781] Sat, 26 June 2010 02:44 Go to next message
AYB is currently offline AYBFriend
Hi,

I would like to creating a php project using existing files in a folder already. I have phpeclipse. I don't seem to be able to do it.
I would appreciate any help here.

Thanks.
Re: creating a php project using existing folder [message #544125 is a reply to message #542781] Thu, 01 July 2010 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
On 6/25/10 10:44 PM, AYB wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to creating a php project using existing files in a folder
> already. I have phpeclipse. I don't seem to be able to do it.
> I would appreciate any help here.

File > New > Project.
Select "PHP Project," Next.
Choose the option, "Create project at existing location..." and choose
the desired folder.

Hope this helps,
Eric
Re: creating a php project using existing folder [message #544339 is a reply to message #544125] Fri, 02 July 2010 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Eric,

I tried that already. The buttons (back, next, finish) are grayed so they are not clickable. When I tried to enter the project name, it say's can't create project content in workspace.

I wonder if I need to do some differently on choosing workspace.

Thanks for any help in advanced.

[Updated on: Fri, 02 July 2010 12:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: creating a php project using existing folder [message #545071 is a reply to message #544339] Tue, 06 July 2010 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
On 7/2/10 8:24 AM, AYB wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I tried that already. The buttons (back, next, finish) are grayed so
> they are not clickable. When I tried to enter the project name, it say's
> can't created project content in workspace.
>
> I wonder if I need to do some differently on choosing workspace.

Is the "existing location" you're selecting inside the workspace
directory that you're working in? If so, you should probably use File >
Import... and then choose "Existing project into workspace."

Hope this helps,
Eric
Re: creating a php project using existing folder [message #550630 is a reply to message #545071] Tue, 03 August 2010 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I couldn't get the importing work for me. So I changed the directory to a different name then created a workspace above this directory and created a project using the old directory name and copied all the files into this new directory.

This is not ideal but at least gets what I wanted.

1. renamed c://test/existingwork to c://test/exisitngwork_saved

2. created workspace c://test

3. created new project "existingwork"

4. copied all the files in c://test/existingwork_saved to c://test/existingwork

My goal is that so I can edit the files in c://test/existingwork/ since that's where my local server is.

If there is better way, or exactly how to import things like this, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Re: creating a php project using existing folder [message #550753 is a reply to message #550630] Wed, 04 August 2010 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
I have exactly the same problem. Will try your work around (thanks) but think this is a bug. I had everthing working fine until I came back from holiday end of July and did a general Ubuntu (10.04) update (I now have 3.5.2).

My project was empty but all files were still in the same directory. Neither create project from existing source nor import project worked for the reaons you mention above.

will report bug.

Timmo
Re: creating a php project using existing folder [message #550765 is a reply to message #550753] Wed, 04 August 2010 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
when trying to file a bug I could not reproduce the error anymore, creating a bug from an existing source worked again!

Only thing I did was follwoing a recommendation on the newby forum to add two lines for java in /etc/eclipse.ini:

-vm
/usr/bin/java

need to be exactly above line:
-vmargs

Hope that helps anyone else as well.
Re: creating a php project using existing folder [message #640302 is a reply to message #542781] Sat, 20 November 2010 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Juan  is currently offline Juan Friend
Hi, I think this is not really a bug, but actually a case poor and misleading interface design. You can create a project from existing source files located in a subfolder of htdocs (or www or other, depending on the server you are using) this way:

1. Start Eclipse and select htdocs (or www or other) as workspace.

2. Select File -> New --> Project --> PHP Project

3. Type the name of the folder that contains the source files into the Project Name field.
(Note I have not tried this with folders that are hidden deep within the folder hierarchy)

4. Choose "Create new project in workspace".
Do not choose "Create project at existing location (from existing source".

The following text is displayed: "The specified external location already exists.If a project is created in this location, the wizard will automatically try to detect existing sources and configure the buildpath appropriately."

5. Click Finish.

The project should now have been created with your source files inside. I am not sure why the "Create project at existing location (from existing source" does not do this, but that is the way it works as of today.

[Updated on: Sat, 20 November 2010 08:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: creating a php project using existing folder [message #1431921 is a reply to message #542781] Fri, 26 September 2014 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
harish lalwani is currently offline harish lalwaniFriend
The specified external location already exists.If a project is created in this location, the wizard will automatically try to detect existing sources and configure the buildpath appropriately.

I faced the same problem while working on linux mint. It got fixed when I changed the folder permissions for the project. This may be due to .meta file which eclipse makes in this folder and it was not writable folder . Hope this helps others who face the above problem.
Re: creating a php project using existing folder [message #1715625 is a reply to message #542781] Tue, 24 November 2015 18:09 Go to previous message
Glenn Gonzalez is currently offline Glenn GonzalezFriend
File/New/PHP Project

Project Name = enter existing project (folder) name --- note: folder name is *case-sensitive* (Eclipse Luna on Windows 7)

check option: Create New Project in Workspace

You will see a warning message "The specified external location already exists. If a project is created in this location, the wizard will automatically try to detect existing sources and configure the buildpath appropriately."

click Finish
Previous Topic:Navigator: "Clean Project" option
Next Topic:Cannot get Eclipse for C/C++ to debug
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:17:01 GMT 2024