Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » UML2 Tools » Helios is out.. where are the UML2 Tools?
Helios is out.. where are the UML2 Tools? [message #542105] Wed, 23 June 2010 21:11 Go to next message
Alex C is currently offline Alex CFriend
Hi all,

Saw the release announcement for 3.6 so I have just upgraded... however I can't find the UML2 Tools feature group listed on the Helios update site.. is this an error or has it been removed for some reason?

Thanks

Alex
Re: Helios is out.. where are the UML2 Tools? [message #542439 is a reply to message #542105] Thu, 24 June 2010 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Alex,

It's not part of Helios. No one is actively maintaining it or producing
builds.

abcoyle@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Saw the release announcement for 3.6 so I have just upgraded...
> however I can't find the UML2 Tools feature group listed on the Helios
> update site.. is this an error or has it been removed for some reason?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Helios is out.. where are the UML2 Tools? [message #542458 is a reply to message #542439] Thu, 24 June 2010 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Are there something new that replaces it or will replace it? It just seems odd to me to say Eclipse support models and modeling but it includes no basic UML modeling UI...

[Updated on: Thu, 24 June 2010 23:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Helios is out.. where are the UML2 Tools? [message #542529 is a reply to message #542439] Fri, 25 June 2010 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm ok...

It is officially being discontined? Is there any replacement?

I have a large number of diagrams that I created using the UML2 tools.. I have seen Papyrus but it doesn't yet support as many diagram types as UML2 tools did (for example, component and deployment diagram seem to be missing in the current Papyrus)

I know the UML model is separate from the diagram, but there doesn't seem to be a documented way of creating a Papyrus diagram from an existing UML model...

Alex.
Re: Helios is out.. where are the UML2 Tools? [message #542538 is a reply to message #542529] Fri, 25 June 2010 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vlad Varnica is currently offline Vlad VarnicaFriend
All Eclipse 3.5 UML modeling tools are using the same UML core coming from EMF 2.5 serialization. It means that you should be able to extract your models and recreate them with another tool. It is just a question of using the right transformation solution.
You will never be able to recover your graphical presentation and notations but you will be able to rebuild graphical presentation from your model. Just by drag and drop.
I didn't try some of the following tools but Topcased, Papyrus (open source) and RSA / Omondo (non open source) should do the job.
The easiest alternative is to use EclipseUML for Helios and merge your models. You just need to open your .xmi file with the Omondo Editor and then drag one model element to the diagram. Doing that will immediately create a merge and add your existing model inside the project model. You can add as many as needed models inside a project model. No limit of compatibility or size. I have written a short documentation at: http://www.forum-omondo.com/documentation_eclipseuml_2008/Mo del_Editor/Multiple_project_model/index.html

Omondo is a solution if you are lazy, fedup to look for an information that is so difficult to find and if your company has money to purchase the tool. Using EclipseUML Omondo will let you more time to focus on modeling and watch the football world cup in South Africa.
Otherwise you can use open source but you will spend long hours in your office and not really create a better project Razz

Hope this help.

Vlad,

[Updated on: Fri, 25 June 2010 10:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Helios is out.. where are the UML2 Tools? [message #544808 is a reply to message #542105] Mon, 05 July 2010 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hauke Fuhrmann is currently offline Hauke FuhrmannFriend
abcoyle@gmail.com schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> Saw the release announcement for 3.6 so I have just upgraded... however
> I can't find the UML2 Tools feature group listed on the Helios update
> site.. is this an error or has it been removed for some reason?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex

I think MDT/Papyrus is a more or less official UML2 editor. It's still
in incubation phase but you can install it already via the "Install
Modeling Components" wizard from the Helios Modeling Distribution.

There's not much content on their Website though.

http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/?project=papyrus

As I understand, the intention is that it should be of industry standard
quality some day.

It also works on the UML2 metamodel of Eclipse so the domain files
should be compatible.

Hauke
Re: Helios is out.. where are the UML2 Tools? [message #544976 is a reply to message #542105] Tue, 06 July 2010 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

See See
http://wiki.eclipse.org/MDT/OCL/FAQ#How_do_I_workaround_org. eclipse.emf.ocl_deprecation_in_Helios_and_later.3F

Regards

Ed Willink

On 23/06/2010 22:11, abcoyle@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Saw the release announcement for 3.6 so I have just upgraded... however
> I can't find the UML2 Tools feature group listed on the Helios update
> site.. is this an error or has it been removed for some reason?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex
Re: Helios is out.. where are the UML2 Tools? [message #549376 is a reply to message #542105] Mon, 26 July 2010 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Waniek is currently offline Christian WaniekFriend
Hi

there is an incubation build for Helios. It should do the job until there is an official release build

http:// modeling.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/downloads/?project=uml2too ls&showAll=0&showMax=5&sortBy=date

Hope I could help

Regards
Christian Waniek
Re: Helios is out.. where are the UML2 Tools? [message #625806 is a reply to message #542439] Thu, 24 June 2010 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Are there something new that replaces it or will replace it? It just seems odd to me to say Eclipse support models and modeling but it have include no basic UML model UI...
Re: Helios is out.. where are the UML2 Tools? [message #625807 is a reply to message #542439] Fri, 25 June 2010 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm ok...

It is officially being discontined? Is there any replacement?

I have a large number of diagrams that I created using the UML2 tools.. I have seen Papyrus but it doesn't yet support as many diagram types as UML2 tools did (for example, component and deployment diagram seem to be missing in the current Papyrus)

I know the UML model is separate from the diagram, but there doesn't seem to be a documented way of creating a Papyrus diagram from an existing UML model...

Alex.
Re: Helios is out.. where are the UML2 Tools? [message #625808 is a reply to message #625807] Fri, 25 June 2010 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vlad Varnica is currently offline Vlad VarnicaFriend
All Eclipse 3.5 UML modeling tools are using the same UML core coming from EMF 2.5 serialization. It means that you should be able to extract your models and recreate them with another tool. It is just a question of using the right transformation solution.
You will never be able to recover your graphical presentation and notations but you will be able to rebuild graphical presentation from your model. Just by drag and drop.
I didn't try the following tools but Topcased, Papyrus (open source) and RSA / Omondo (non open source) should do the job.
The easiest alternative is to use EclipseUML for Helios and merge your models. You just need to open your .xmi file with the Omondo Editor and then drag one model element to the diagram. Doing that will immediately create a merge and add your existing model inside the project model. You can add as many as needed models inside a project model. No limit of compatibility or size. I have written a short documentation at: http://www.forum-omondo.com/documentation_eclipseuml_2008/Mo del_Editor/Multiple_project_model/index.html

Omondo is a solution if you are lazy and your company has money to purchase the tool otherwise use open source :p
Hope this help.

Vlad,
Re: Helios is out.. where are the UML2 Tools? [message #638919 is a reply to message #549376] Sat, 13 November 2010 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Zehrer is currently offline Stephan ZehrerFriend
Christian Waniek wrote on Mon, 26 July 2010 10:31
Hi

there is an incubation build for Helios. It should do the job until there is an official release build

http:// modeling.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/downloads/?project=uml2too ls&showAll=0&showMax=5&sortBy=date

So how is the plan now?

It seems Papyrus will replace UML2 Tools is this correct?

If yes it would be helpful to announce this.
Re: Helios is out.. where are the UML2 Tools? [message #651472 is a reply to message #542105] Mon, 31 January 2011 10:04 Go to previous message
Christian Waniek is currently offline Christian WaniekFriend
Hi everybody

there are two things I want to announce

UML2 Tools isn't dead even if it seems to be so. Currently we are working on some minor usability issues and on an automated build, so we will soon be able to provide new releases soon.

The UML2 Tools won't be replaced by Papyrus (at least as far as I know). They will coexist.

Regards
C. Waniek
Previous Topic:How to install it?
Next Topic:How to generate UML from java source
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:24:12 GMT 2024