Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Dynamic Languages Toolkit (DLTK) » Installing Ruby & Getting Started(Newcommer: Ruby installed (I think) Now... how to start? Any tutorials?)
Installing Ruby & Getting Started [message #541683] Tue, 22 June 2010 08:01 Go to next message
michelle  is currently offline michelle Friend
Hello, I am a newcommer who was directed to the DLTK community. I need to program, debug, and unit test in ruby.

I have eclipse CDT as well as "DLTK - Ruby Development Toolkit" installed. Is there anything else to install? What about a unit testing plugin of some sort?

I have a lot of stupid questions here meaning I really need a tutorial or some kind of manual. *choke* umm... right this is quite intimidating. Can anyone please recommend some starting steps, a tutorial or an article or anything at all to get me started with ruby in eclipse? ...that should keep those silly questions away from this forum (at least for a little while!)

thank-you very much in advance, michelle

[Updated on: Tue, 22 June 2010 08:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Installing Ruby & Getting Started [message #541701 is a reply to message #541683] Tue, 22 June 2010 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex Panchenko is currently offline Alex PanchenkoFriend
Hi Michelle,

"DLTK - Ruby Development Toolkit" includes all Ruby related tools we provide.
Unit test launcher is included as well.

The development process is quite similar as with any other programming language:
- switch to Ruby perspective
- configure you ruby interpreters: Preferences - Ruby - Interpreters
- create Ruby Project
- create some Ruby files

If you don't have Ruby experience searching for Ruby related tutorials could be useful as well.

Don't hesitate to ask it you have more questions.

Regards,
Alex
Re: Installing Ruby & Getting Started [message #541712 is a reply to message #541701] Tue, 22 June 2010 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks very much Alex, your reply is very helpful and beautifully simple (as always seems to be the case from what I can see on this forum!)

I'll have more questions coming soon for sure as I'm still very new on Eclipse, for now though - it's play time... Smile

thanks again!

[Updated on: Tue, 22 June 2010 09:53]

Re: Installing Ruby & Getting Started [message #557565 is a reply to message #541701] Wed, 08 September 2010 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tihamer  is currently offline Tihamer Friend
Thanks for the hints, but what if you can't get to the Ruby perspective?

Helios seems to be installed correctly, and I unzipped the emf and dltk-ruby archives into the same eclipse directory.
But how do I get into the ruby perspective?

Window -> Open Perspective -> Other
does not list Ruby, or even DLTK as one of it's options.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

-Tee
Re: Installing Ruby & Getting Started [message #557568 is a reply to message #557565] Wed, 08 September 2010 06:52 Go to previous message
Hi Tihamer, you know with such an impressive in-built software installer within Eclipse - - I never go that way around. I let eclipse handle it and by doing so filter out a critical mess up factor - myself. ha ha.

Sorry I can't help you on your particular question. But should you want to try an alternative way of installing dltk, then take a look at my recent post here - step 2 in particular.

And if you don't get that working, another really cool alternative eclipse plugin I came across for ruby (and rails) is Aptana Radrails. Cool as in the tutorials and help files are very well done, nice UI, oh and also you get a project structure setup for you. Just an alternative option - may not be what you want. It installs also via Eclipse > Install new software...

Quote:
Opensource Aptana RadRails 2.0.5 includes extensive capabilities to build Ruby and Rails applications in addition to support for HTML, CSS and JavaScript editing. Standalone version and Eclipse Plugin version availible for download.

cheers, michelle

[Updated on: Wed, 08 September 2010 06:55]

Previous Topic:Hover support in custom editor
Next Topic:[BUILD] S-2.0.1RC3-201009100629
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:33:19 GMT 2024