Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » How to investigate "Too many open files" error?
How to investigate "Too many open files" error? [message #540057] Mon, 14 June 2010 17:30 Go to next message
Frank Theinen is currently offline Frank TheinenFriend
Hi,

I'm using eclipse-cpp-galileo-SR2-linux-gtk.tar.gz which (amongst others) contains the Eclipse Platform, the C/C++ IDE and the Mylin components. I'm experiencing "Too many open files" errors (details follow below) and I'm looking for a way to investigate further. Since I cannot tell which component creates the problem I'm seeking your advice here. If there is a place more appropriate where to ask please direct me to it.

After running for a few days the java process - which is only used by Eclipse - exhausts the allowed number of open files per process ('ulimit -Hn', 8192). From that time on Eclipse is unable to sensibly 'work' much longer and creates "Too many open files" errors in all components used. Using 'lsof | grep java' (last line shown here)

java 15330 ftheinen 8191r REG 0,3 0 8804280 /proc/15330/maps

shows that about 8000 of the open file descriptors are read accesses to the process memory map file (lines differ in the file descriptor only). Using 'lsof' from time to time shows that the number of file descriptors increases steadily, maybe one or two per minute on average.

How can I systematically investigate which component is creating these file descriptors (without having to do many time consuming experiments)?

Regards, Frank
Re: How to investigate "Too many open files" error? [message #540767 is a reply to message #540057] Thu, 17 June 2010 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mxm  is currently offline mxm Friend
I am experiencing the same problems. I ran eclipse over night and since than

"Too many Files error" after working some minutes, that leads to not being able to store changes and a broken workspace.

I it tried to raise the local limit, but ulimit -n 2000, which is the doubled value, but that does not change anything.

I can not restart, did that help for you? I can not restart here!

[Updated on: Thu, 17 June 2010 10:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to investigate "Too many open files" error? [message #540854 is a reply to message #540767] Thu, 17 June 2010 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mxm wrote on Thu, 17 June 2010 06:00
I am experiencing the same problems. I ran eclipse over night and since than

"Too many Files error" after working some minutes, that leads to not being able to store changes and a broken workspace.

I it tried to raise the local limit, but ulimit -n 2000, which is the doubled value, but that does not change anything.

You are setting the 'soft' limit, not the 'hard' limit as with 'ulimit -Hn 2000'. But it doesn't seem to work anyway: I enlarged the hard limit from 8192 to 16384 (soft limit is 1024), but after the java process used file descriptor 8191 the problem occurred again.

Quote:
I can not restart, did that help for you? I can not restart here!

When closing Eclipse the file descriptors are freed, so restarting helps.
Re: How to investigate "Too many open files" error? [message #540880 is a reply to message #540854] Thu, 17 June 2010 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mxm  is currently offline mxm Friend
ok that is a difference.

workbench restart is not possible, eclipse is having problems initalizing due to many files.

-Hn is at 10000 so thats no solution here too

[Updated on: Thu, 17 June 2010 14:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to investigate "Too many open files" error? [message #544239 is a reply to message #540057] Fri, 02 July 2010 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Hi there,

im having excatly the same problems as described by Frank. After encountering them i upgraded from cpp galileo to cpp helios, but the problem remains. And just increasing the amount of files accessible seems to only delay the problem instead of solving it, due to the steady increasing open files.

any update on this would be much appreciated.

Martin
Re: How to investigate "Too many open files" error? [message #544286 is a reply to message #544239] Fri, 02 July 2010 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

this week I've installed the CDT Helios and the problem persists. I'll ask on the CDT developers mailing list ...

Regards, Frank
Re: How to investigate "Too many open files" error? [message #544344 is a reply to message #544286] Fri, 02 July 2010 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

switching from OpenJDK 6 to Sun JRE 6 solved the problem for me.

Regards, Frank
Re: How to investigate "Too many open files" error? [message #546758 is a reply to message #544344] Wed, 14 July 2010 06:44 Go to previous message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Frank Theinen wrote on Fri, 02 July 2010 08:34
Hi,

switching from OpenJDK 6 to Sun JRE 6 solved the problem for me.

Regards, Frank

yep, confirmed. I uninstalled openjdk 6 and installed Sun JRE too and the problem is gone. thanks for the tip
Previous Topic:RCP display problems with multiple monitors in Windows 7 x64
Next Topic:Eclipse RCP license control solution issues
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:36:27 GMT 2024