Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » UML2 » UML profiles and MIWG Test Case 3(Is there a way/plan to avoid usage of xmi:Extension?)
UML profiles and MIWG Test Case 3 [message #539921] Mon, 14 June 2010 09:57 Go to next message
Thomas Neustupny is currently offline Thomas NeustupnyFriend
Hi,

I'm playing with profiles and profile applications for some time, and it works quite well. But in my XMI files I have those xmi:Extension nodes that result from calling define() on a profile which adds ecore elements to the xmi files. Can this be avoided? Or, are there plans to make this obsolete and conform to the MIWG test case 3?

See: http://www.omgwiki.org/model-interchange/doku.php?id=test_ca se_3_revision_1

My first approach was to save profiles without define()ing them and to call define after loading them. This way I only have xmi extensions in my model and not in my profile xmi. But I consider this risky, because my models refer to ecore elements for the applied profiles. So if for the profile other xmi.ids are generated after loading them the next time, then my model that applies that profile will fail to load, because the ecore element references cannot be resolved anymore. This didn't happen so far, but I feel unsecure. Shall I better save a profile after calling define() instead?

Thanks for any hints!
Thomas Neustupny
Re: UML profiles and MIWG Test Case 3 [message #541681 is a reply to message #539921] Tue, 22 June 2010 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Let me try to answer it by myself. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Answer: yes, it is possible to avoid the xmi:Extension nodes. But then it is not possible to use the infrastructure for applying/using profiles. You can't use the applyProfile/unapplyProfile/isStereotypeApplicable/getApplie dStereotype (etc.) methods then, because thos rely on a define()'d profile, but you need to implement all this on your own. This should be possible though.

Is that right?

We're using UML2 for building a modeling tool for UML 2.x (ArgoUML). It's running standalone (not within eclipse) and tries to keep with the UML standard, that's why I'm trying to not rely on any ecore related extensions in our XMI files. I mention this just in case that you wonder why I'm asking such a question here.

Regards,
Thomas
Re: UML profiles and MIWG Test Case 3 [message #628525 is a reply to message #539921] Tue, 22 June 2010 07:30 Go to previous message
Let me try to answer it by myself. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Answer: yes, it is possible to avoid the xmi:Extension nodes. But then it is not possible to use the infrastructure for applying/using profiles. You can't use the applyProfile/unapplyProfile/isStereotypeApplicable/getApplie dStereotype (etc.) methods then, because thos rely on a define()'d profile, but you need to implement all this on your own. This should be possible though.

Is that right?

We're using UML2 for building a modeling tool for UML 2.x (ArgoUML). It's running standalone (not within eclipse) and tries to keep with the UML standard, that's why I'm trying to not rely on any ecore related extensions in our XMI files. I mention this just in case that you wonder why I'm asking such a question here.

Regards,
Thomas
Previous Topic:Applying UML Profile Programmatically
Next Topic:UML Factory
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 20:10:20 GMT 2024