Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Remote Application Platform (RAP) » Thread per connected client?
Thread per connected client? [message #539889] Mon, 14 June 2010 08:29 Go to next message
Henzler Peter is currently offline Henzler PeterFriend
Hi

I have a RAP application where the RAP Client behaves like an RCP Application (as client tier), that holds a connection to an Application Server (the server tier).

So each session in the RAP Server is a client for the Application Server. Each RAP session holds a seperate connection to the application server. It get's it's own session cookie from the application server.

My RCP client starts a thread on startup, that keeps the session on the applicaton server (the data connection) living be making "ping" calls to the application during the time the client is idle.

For example: the client loads data from the server and displays it on the client. The user makes extensive modifications on the data and the stores the data after 5 minutes.
Because the ping-thread on the client has made several keep-alive-calls to the application server the data connection is still up and running, when the user presses the save button after 5 minutes.

The question is:
How can I implement such a client-side thread that will keep the data connection session to the application server alive for each running rap client session?

Thank you for your advice.

Best regards
Peter Henzler
Re: Thread per connected client? [message #540023 is a reply to message #539889] Mon, 14 June 2010 15:41 Go to previous message
Austin Riddle is currently offline Austin RiddleFriend
Hi Peter,

If I understand your situation correctly, you have a 2 cases:

1) RCP Application -> Proprietary Application on a Server

2) Browser Client (Part B) -> RAP Application (Part A) -> Proprietary Application on a Server
To clarify, the RAP Application is composed of 2 parts by nature which is a single instance on the server (part A) hosting multiple client sessions (part B).

In case 1) above, there is a keep-alive thread that is running in the RCP application.

You are asking how to implement the keep-alive functionality in case 2) above, on a per user basis?

If you want to keep the same model as the RCP application and my assumptions are correct then I suggest the following:

In your RAP entrypoint, or the workbench advisor (if you are using workbench), start your keep-alive thread. Terminate it upon workbench shutdown.

You will still have to deal with the HTTP session timeout issue in the RAP application since the workbench will stay around until the session is killed.

Does this help at all?

Previous Topic:[Design] Custom Look and Feel with default stack presentation
Next Topic:How to gracefully shut down a RAP user Session?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:14:14 GMT 2024