Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » PDT on OSX 10.6 extremly slow(carbon, cocoa32 and and even 64bit)
PDT on OSX 10.6 extremly slow [message #538881] Tue, 08 June 2010 21:30 Go to next message
Cheecoh  is currently offline Cheecoh Friend
Hey,

i've tried to use Eclipse on my Macbook Late 2008 with 4GB Ram but its really not usable...

I've downloaded the PDT Version (SR2) of Eclipse and when i got files with a bit more code 'bout 200 lines i can see how every keystroke appears on my screen some seconds later... thats really bad und makes this ide for me unusable... .(

i tried some different ways e.g. on the eclipse.ini to make it better (more ram) but everything results in the same performance...

Some Ideas? Need any logfiles? Every help would be great!
Re: PDT on OSX 10.6 extremly slow [message #538931 is a reply to message #538881] Wed, 09 June 2010 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have installed now the Platform binarys for Cocoa 64bit ( 46mb ) and manually added PDT...

But still the same issues... i've nothing changed on my mac os installation and installed a clean eclipse.

Maybe is it normal that Eclipse PDT cannot handle effective performance on big php-files > 2k-3k lines?
Re: PDT on OSX 10.6 extremly slow [message #542664 is a reply to message #538931] Fri, 25 June 2010 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
totalAldo  is currently offline totalAldo Friend
I have the same issue.

Just did a fresh install of Eclipse PDT 2.2 (Helio) 64-bit cocoa on a Mac Pro (2008), 2x3.2GHz Quad Core Xeons, 20GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6.4 (with a modification to eclipse.ini to allow more RAM usage) and disabling code folding, I find the IDE unusable when editing files with more than 500 lines and a few includes. Typing a character in the editor is laggy and delayed. I've noticed that CPU usage climbs near 100% (for one core) after each character is typed.

This was the same with Eclipse PDT 2.1. (same system configuration). I've tried isolating the problem by systematically disabling all preferences in Eclipse but have had no success. When editing css or javascript files in the same environment typing is fast as it should be.

When using Eclipse 3.5.2 + PHPEclipse in the same environment, typing is normal.
Re: PDT on OSX 10.6 extremly slow [message #544048 is a reply to message #542664] Thu, 01 July 2010 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
totalAldo  is currently offline totalAldo Friend
I disabled the display of whitespace characters and performance improved significantly on Helios. The difference is remarkable.
Re: PDT on OSX 10.6 extremly slow [message #544107 is a reply to message #538881] Thu, 01 July 2010 15:29 Go to previous message
Quote:
I disabled the display of whitespace characters and performance improved significantly on Helios. The difference is remarkable.

Same over here, just tested some hours ago at home - actually testing at work and it is big difference on performance...

Works like a charm on a big php-file with about 2100 lines
Previous Topic:Xdebug stop working
Next Topic:PHP Search "no Interpreter"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:02:17 GMT 2024