Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Virgo (Spring DM Server) Clustering
Virgo (Spring DM Server) Clustering [message #536905] Mon, 31 May 2010 13:10 Go to next message
chrisatpinguin  is currently offline chrisatpinguin Friend
Hi,

currently I'm evaluating the Spring DM-Server for production use in my company.
I like to know, if it will be possible to set up a multiple machine cluster with virgo. We need session replication for the web bundles for fail-over.

I would be happy if there is someone who could help me with setting up a cluster with the current Spring-DM Server 2.0.2 Smile I did not get it done. I achieved to enable the Cluster part in the configuration and start the server without an error, but the nodes don't communicate with each other. A simple pure Tomcat cluster on my the two test-machines work perfectly so I exclude any network errors.

Regards
Chris
Re: Virgo (Spring DM Server) Clustering [message #537092 is a reply to message #536905] Tue, 01 June 2010 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
We have not tested clustering or session replication with dm Server or Virgo. I know some people have mentioned attempting this on the dm Server forums, but I don't know how successful their attempts have been. However, we have not received bug reports or support issues around clustering.

You may like to submit a Virgo bug to cover this.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 June 2010 10:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Virgo (Spring DM Server) Clustering [message #539252 is a reply to message #537092] Thu, 10 June 2010 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Artem B is currently offline Artem BFriend
And what is the standard way to scale up dm Server applications? I am sure people have faced the need to scale with dmServer.

And have anyone tested the dm Server or Virgo with Distributed OSGi?
Re: Virgo (Spring DM Server) Clustering [message #649198 is a reply to message #537092] Tue, 18 January 2011 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For the record, we have tested clustering in Virgo and it works fine. See "Cluster Configuration" in the User Guide for details.
Re: Virgo (Spring DM Server) Clustering [message #652800 is a reply to message #649198] Sun, 06 February 2011 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Candy  is currently offline Candy Friend
Hi, Glyn,

I am trying to understand how does clustering work with bundles in Virgo. For example, I have a bundle that's computationally expensive. The typical job takes up 2 CPUs for 2 minutes. I have a JINI farm set up to handle these jobs.

My questions is:

Can Virgo somehow replace the JINI farm given that all the requests will be from a bundle deployed in Virgo?

How can I scale Virgo?

I may be asking the wrong questions or have the wrong ideas. Feel free to correct me.

Thank you.
Candy
Re: Virgo (Spring DM Server) Clustering [message #652829 is a reply to message #652800] Mon, 07 February 2011 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apart from inheriting Tomcat's clustering features, Virgo has no explicit support for workload balancing or grid computing. It should be possible to build these features into a Virgo application, but the onus will be on the application to provide those features.

If you spot any general features that would make this type of application more tractable in a Virgo setting, I'd be interested to hear. For instance, if you wrapped the JINI support in bundles, are there any problems that are particularly tricky in a Virgo environment?
Re: Virgo (Spring DM Server) Clustering [message #652956 is a reply to message #652829] Mon, 07 February 2011 18:13 Go to previous message
Candy  is currently offline Candy Friend
I haven't gotten so far yet. If we end up wrapping JINI in a bundle, I will definitely report back the results.

[Updated on: Mon, 07 February 2011 18:14]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Getting NullPointerException when forwarding to a JSP in a snap bundle
Next Topic:Virgo-jetty-server[git] and org.eclipse.virgo.apps.admin.plan
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:31:35 GMT 2024