Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » JavaServer Faces » What's the state of Facelets support in Helios?
What's the state of Facelets support in Helios? [message #535518] Mon, 24 May 2010 09:03 Go to next message
henk is currently offline henkFriend
When WTP M6 was released, I read in the new & noteworthy that basic Facelet support was now included in the main WTP distribution:

Quote:

This milestone also has basic support for source-level editing of Facelet XHTML view files in the Web Page Editor(WPE).

Today I downloaded Eclipse for Java EE developers RC1 (eclipse-jee-helios-RC1) and tried to open a Facelets .xhtml file in an existing (imported) project that has the Dynamic Web Module and JavaServer Faces facets.

The xhtml file was initially opened with just the html editor, which of course gave me no editing support whatsoever. I then opened the file explicitly with the Web Page Editor, which worked but unpleasantly surprised me by also giving me no support at all. There is no content assist or autocompletion, and I can't navigate into anything pointed at by EL.

Is this what is meant with "basic" support, or is autocompletion and EL navigation supposed to be working?

Re: What's the state of Facelets support in Helios? [message #535556 is a reply to message #535518] Mon, 24 May 2010 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did a little digging, but it seems there has been very little activity on Facelets support. If I take a look at this list:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advan ced;component=wtp.inc.facelets

Then most of the tickets have last been commented on in 2008 and are still open. For instance "Support for Facelets" (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=198723) has not been updated since 2008. Same for "Method expression hyperlinking does not work in XHTML" (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=252241), which seems to me a fundamental thing for an editor to support, is still open and has been since 2008 again.

Nevertheless, there does seem to be activity related to Facelets, as witnessed by this bug: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=309488

If I read a little between the lines, it seems I must copy a JSF 2.0 implementation to my WEB-INF/lib?

My project is a JSF 1.2 project, with the standalone Facelets jars in WEB-INF/lib. Isn't such a project supported maybe? I would at least have thought that the editor would give me some errors somewhere, but instead my .xhtml page was simply displayed as xml, without any errors or validation markers.

I also tried creating a new project and choose JSF 2.0 (although I did not add the implementation libs to my project). Again there were no errors or warnings and my test .xhtml page was opened and displayed as if it was just a normal xml file.

Re: What's the state of Facelets support in Helios? [message #536355 is a reply to message #535518] Thu, 27 May 2010 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys, is this really such a difficult question?
Re: What's the state of Facelets support in Helios? [message #538091 is a reply to message #535518] Fri, 04 June 2010 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does really nobody knows about this status?

Helios is not far from it's final release and it's unknown what the status of Facelets support is?
Re: What's the state of Facelets support in Helios? [message #538104 is a reply to message #538091] Sat, 05 June 2010 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yury Kats is currently offline Yury KatsFriend
On 6/4/2010 5:51 PM, henk wrote:
> Does really nobody knows about this status?
>
> Helios is not far from it's final release and it's unknown what the status of Facelets support is?

Facelets are supported in Helios for JSF2 applications.
Re: What's the state of Facelets support in Helios? [message #538213 is a reply to message #538104] Sun, 06 June 2010 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yury Kats wrote on Fri, 04 June 2010 23:19
On 6/4/2010 5:51 PM, henk wrote:
> Does really nobody knows about this status?
>
> Helios is not far from it's final release and it's unknown what the status of Facelets support is?

Facelets are supported in Helios for JSF2 applications.

Far out! Thanks for the reply Smile

Now I do wonder why my trials with Helios RC1 and xhtml files gave me no support at all. Does the tooling explicitly check whether you have the JSF2 jars on your classpath, and if not silently disables all support?

I did actually create a dynamic web project with JSF support at the 2.0 level, but as mentioned, clicking any .xhtml file gave me nothing but a bare html editor. Opening the file with the WPE editor also did not give me any support.

So, what exactly constitutes a "JSF 2 application"?

[Updated on: Sun, 06 June 2010 16:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: What's the state of Facelets support in Helios? [message #538373 is a reply to message #538213] Mon, 07 June 2010 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On 6/6/2010 11:58 AM, henk wrote:
> Yury Kats wrote on Fri, 04 June 2010 23:19
>> On 6/4/2010 5:51 PM, henk wrote:
>>> Does really nobody knows about this status?
>>>
>>> Helios is not far from it's final release and it's unknown what the status of Facelets support is?
>>
>> Facelets are supported in Helios for JSF2 applications.
>
>
> Far out! Thanks for the reply :)
>
> Now I do wonder why my trials with Helios RC1 and xhtml files gave me no support at all. Does the tooling explicitly check whether you have the JSF2 jars on your classpath, and if now silently disables all support?
>
> I did actually create a dynamic web project with JSF support at the 2.0 level, but as mentioned, clicking any .xhtml file gave me nothing but a bare html editor. Opening the file with the WPE editor also did not give me any support.
>
> So, what exactly constitutes a "JSF 2 application"?
>

I believe the jst.jsf facet vesion 2.0
Re: What's the state of Facelets support in Helios? [message #542941 is a reply to message #538373] Sun, 27 June 2010 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Which is exactly what I tried. Now that the GA has been released, I'll test it again.

According to the official new and noteworthy for WTP 3.2, Facelets is indeed supported and there is 'proof' being shown that it is indeed there: http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/releases/3.2.0/NewAndNotewor thy/jsf.php
Re: What's the state of Facelets support in Helios? [message #621709 is a reply to message #538104] Sun, 06 June 2010 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yury Kats wrote on Fri, 04 June 2010 23:19
> On 6/4/2010 5:51 PM, henk wrote:
> > Does really nobody knows about this status?
> >
> > Helios is not far from it's final release and it's unknown what the status of Facelets support is?
>
> Facelets are supported in Helios for JSF2 applications.

Far out! Thanks for the reply :)

Now I do wonder why my trials with Helios RC1 and xhtml files gave me no support at all. Does the tooling explicitly check whether you have the JSF2 jars on your classpath, and if now silently disables all support?

I did actually create a dynamic web project with JSF support at the 2.0 level, but as mentioned, clicking any .xhtml file gave me nothing but a bare html editor. Opening the file with the WPE editor also did not give me any support.

So, what exactly constitutes a "JSF 2 application"?
Re: What's the state of Facelets support in Helios? [message #621710 is a reply to message #621709] Mon, 07 June 2010 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On 6/6/2010 11:58 AM, henk wrote:
> Yury Kats wrote on Fri, 04 June 2010 23:19
>> On 6/4/2010 5:51 PM, henk wrote:
>>> Does really nobody knows about this status?
>>>
>>> Helios is not far from it's final release and it's unknown what the status of Facelets support is?
>>
>> Facelets are supported in Helios for JSF2 applications.
>
>
> Far out! Thanks for the reply :)
>
> Now I do wonder why my trials with Helios RC1 and xhtml files gave me no support at all. Does the tooling explicitly check whether you have the JSF2 jars on your classpath, and if now silently disables all support?
>
> I did actually create a dynamic web project with JSF support at the 2.0 level, but as mentioned, clicking any .xhtml file gave me nothing but a bare html editor. Opening the file with the WPE editor also did not give me any support.
>
> So, what exactly constitutes a "JSF 2 application"?
>

I believe the jst.jsf facet vesion 2.0
Re: What's the state of Facelets support in Helios? [message #621727 is a reply to message #538373] Sun, 27 June 2010 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Which is exactly what I tried. Now that the GA has been released, I'll test it again.

According to the official new and noteworthy for WTP 3.2, Facelets is indeed supported and there is 'proof' being shown that it is indeed there: http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/releases/3.2.0/NewAndNotewor thy/jsf.php
Re: What's the state of Facelets support in Helios? [message #654296 is a reply to message #538091] Mon, 14 February 2011 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam  is currently offline Sam Friend
I also having an impression that Eclipse Helio does not support JSF2.0. There are some other very useful tools are missing as well, eg. Auto generating Web services classes (JAXWS annotated classes) from session beans like Netbeans does.

I have switched back to Netbeans for the time being... until Eclipse has jsf2 and web services tools integrated.

Cheers
Sam

Re: What's the state of Facelets support in Helios? [message #656543 is a reply to message #654296] Sat, 26 February 2011 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 2011.02.14 16:50, Sam wrote:
> I also having an impression that Eclipse Helio does not support JSF2.0.
> There are some other very useful tools are missing as well, eg. Auto
> generating Web services classes (JAXWS annotated classes) from session
> beans like Netbeans does.
>
> I have switched back to Netbeans for the time being... until Eclipse has
> jsf2 and web services tools integrated.
>
> Cheers
> Sam

No apparent support, except for the JavaServer Faces facet that I cannot
seem to set to 2.0, however, I'm able to use JSF 2.0 in Eclipse. It's
just that Preferences -> Project Facets -> JavaServer Faces remains 1.2
because it can not be set to 2.0.

I would like to know why. Is there a tutorial, blog or some example of
how to create a Dynamic Web Project in Eclipse whose JSF facet is set to
2.0?

If not, are better things planned for Indigo?
Re: What's the state of Facelets support in Helios? [message #663883 is a reply to message #656543] Wed, 06 April 2011 17:23 Go to previous message
Ian Trimble is currently offline Ian TrimbleFriend
There is a tutorial in the JavaServer Faces Tooling User Guide, under "Getting Started". (Search help for "JSF Tutorial".) I suspect you cannot set the JSF facet version to 2.0 because your web facet version is set too low. Try a higher web facet version.
Previous Topic:JavaServer Faces 2.0 facet
Next Topic:Support for beans in faces-config.xml outside WebContent
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:24:44 GMT 2024