Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Riena » Server thread status to the client
Server thread status to the client [message #535173] Fri, 21 May 2010 13:28 Go to next message
Matthias is currently offline MatthiasFriend
Hi, one more for the weekend Smile

i want the status of a server thread to be displayed in the client gui.
is that possible? and what's the best approach to do that? by running a client thread that is polling about the server status every second?

matthias
Re: Server thread status to the client [message #535520 is a reply to message #535173] Mon, 24 May 2010 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Campo is currently offline Christian CampoFriend
Am 21.05.10 15:28, schrieb Matthias:
> Hi, one more for the weekend :)
>
> i want the status of a server thread to be displayed in the client gui.
> is that possible? and what's the best approach to do that? by running a
> client thread that is polling about the server status every second?
>
> matthias
good news, bad news.

currently its tricky if not impossible if you use remote services as stateless remote services with possible multiple
server instances (physical machines). Then a monitoring remote call will unlikly hit the same server and it will be hard
for him to tell what the status. You could do that my storing the status of the remote service in a persistence store
and then the polling remote call would just ask that store. Will work, will scale hmmm

another solution is that we have something like a remote Eclipse Job. (or in Riena we also use the wrapper UI Process
for Eclipse Jobs). Something where you have a monitor on the client and it gets fed about monitor updates, status
messages, progress in general from the server while the call is going on. This requires to extend the Hessian protocol
and is really protocol specific. I once did an experimental implementation for that which never made it into CVS. It is
possible and worked quite well. Its just not there :-)

christian
Re: Server thread status to the client [message #535903 is a reply to message #535173] Wed, 26 May 2010 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually i don't care about performance issues (right now). We only have one server instance and approx. 10 clients to be fed with server status messages.
I collect the server status messages in a remote repository. The client has an UIProcess that polls for messages that are valid in a certain scope (client ID, corresponding task, etc.).
I'm fine with this solution until there's a more flexible remote monitoring solution someday Smile
Thanks, matthias
Re: Server thread status to the client [message #585671 is a reply to message #535173] Mon, 24 May 2010 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Campo is currently offline Christian CampoFriend
Am 21.05.10 15:28, schrieb Matthias:
> Hi, one more for the weekend :)
>
> i want the status of a server thread to be displayed in the client gui.
> is that possible? and what's the best approach to do that? by running a
> client thread that is polling about the server status every second?
>
> matthias
good news, bad news.

currently its tricky if not impossible if you use remote services as stateless remote services with possible multiple
server instances (physical machines). Then a monitoring remote call will unlikly hit the same server and it will be hard
for him to tell what the status. You could do that my storing the status of the remote service in a persistence store
and then the polling remote call would just ask that store. Will work, will scale hmmm

another solution is that we have something like a remote Eclipse Job. (or in Riena we also use the wrapper UI Process
for Eclipse Jobs). Something where you have a monitor on the client and it gets fed about monitor updates, status
messages, progress in general from the server while the call is going on. This requires to extend the Hessian protocol
and is really protocol specific. I once did an experimental implementation for that which never made it into CVS. It is
possible and worked quite well. Its just not there :-)

christian
Re: Server thread status to the client [message #585707 is a reply to message #535173] Wed, 26 May 2010 09:49 Go to previous message
Actually i don't care about performance issues (right now). We only have one server instance and approx. 10 clients to be fed with server status messages.
I collect the server status messages in a remote repository. The client has an UIProcess that polls for messages that are valid in a certain scope (client ID, corresponding task, etc.).
I'm fine with this solution until there's a more flexible remote monitoring solution someday :)
Thanks, matthias
Previous Topic:Riena 2.0.0.RC2 is available
Next Topic:TreeTableRidget: Bind model to modifiable value
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:12:52 GMT 2024