Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Test and Performance Tools Platform (TPTP) » Getting Started Documentation(Documentation)
Getting Started Documentation [message #531401] Tue, 04 May 2010 18:10 Go to next message
Alex Missing name is currently offline Alex Missing nameFriend
Hi,

It absolutely defies belief how far the introduction documentation for TPTP misses the mark. I've spent a hour now clicking on one link after another and simply cannot find anything beyond the wild goose chase I followed to install a bunch of plugins that I have absolutely no idea how to use.

I've used many profiling tools in the past. The concept is simple.

1) You configure a profiling jar in the start-up command of your application or application server.
2) You attach to it from the profiler and start analysing

There is ABSOLUTELY NO EXPLANATION of how to do this with TPTP!

Can anyone write a simple "how to" in less than 100 words please and reply to this post. It really shouldn't be this difficult. I'm sure it isn't but is seems that all the TPTP developers have their heads shoved so far where the sun doesn't shine and can't see that their documentation is basically non-existent.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 May 2010 18:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Getting Started Documentation [message #532643 is a reply to message #531401] Mon, 10 May 2010 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonathan West is currently offline Jonathan WestFriend
Hi Alex.

Our best documentation is available from the conference materials page:
http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/home/documents/documentation.php ?version=NA&audience=user

Specifically, for how to setup an application server, I recommend our EC2009 long talk:
http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/home/documents/conferences/eclip seCon2009/712_ProfilingTestingTPTP.pdf

Likewise, the getting started document that is provided with the standalone agent also contains setup information on how to configure the JVM.

In our case, rather than using a profiling jar, we use a native library that interfaces with the JVM through the JVM's JVMTI interface. These libraries will be needed to add to your path, and the appropriate JVM variables will need to be added to your JVM application startup.

As for the rest of the documentation on the TPTP project page, it definitely needs some serious reorganization. : )
Re: Getting Started Documentation [message #532709 is a reply to message #532643] Mon, 10 May 2010 22:57 Go to previous message
Alex Missing name is currently offline Alex Missing nameFriend
Thanks Jonathan - I really appreciate the reply. I'll have a look through the PDF. I couldn't access some of those resources because I'm stuck on a linux box at work with limited browser-plugins and no admin privileges.

I'm sorry to say that I just downloaded another eval license for JProfiler and got my performance analysis done very quickly and easily. It's such an easy product to use but is not worth the effort to convince management to invest $$ buying licenses.

I will try again with eclipse at some point in the future and appreciate the link to the pdf. Perhaps you or someone involved with the documentation could just add a link to it right after the installation docs to save others from the same experience I had.

Thanks,

Alex
Previous Topic:Installing agent controller on Tomcat6
Next Topic:WebLogic - Profiling Button disabled
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:49:59 GMT 2024