Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » M2T (model-to-text transformation) » EMF, oAW and "Code Composer Studio 4" (CCS4)(Integration of current EMF projects with older Eclipse releases)
EMF, oAW and "Code Composer Studio 4" (CCS4) [message #531352] Tue, 04 May 2010 15:18 Go to next message
Abdull is currently offline AbdullFriend
I'm using Texas Instruments' Code Composer Studio 4 (TI's CCS4). CCS4 is used as an IDE for TI digital signal processors.

CCS4 is based on Eclipse 3.2 (that is, Callisto). It uses many of the services provided by the "C Development Tools" (CDT). CCS4 makes some additions to Eclipse 3.2 to allow for connecting to embedded development boards, uploading embedded code to these ports and such stuff. CCS4 comes with a bunch of Eclipse plugins (e.g. com.ti.ccstudio.blablabla.jar)

I would like to...
1. ...use the current (Ganymede) or future (Helios) versions of EMF and oAW (that is, Xtend, Xpand, and MWE) ...
2.... together with CCS4 (Callisto).

(Background: I want to bring MDSD to the embedded world)

Do you think there is a minimal chance of getting CCS4 work with the current EMF and oAW tools?

As far as I understand, Eclipse's APIs change considerably with every yearly new release. This makes it hard to integrate old-version Eclipse tools (CCSv4) with new-version Eclipse tools (current EMF and oAW tools). Unfortunately, when some company (TI) decides not to be on pace with Eclipse's yearly release cycles, it hinders the integration of their tools with current tools.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Abdull
Re: EMF, oAW and "Code Composer Studio 4" (CCS4) [message #531410 is a reply to message #531352] Tue, 04 May 2010 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karsten Thoms is currently offline Karsten ThomsFriend

Hi Abdull,

in oAW we try to be as backward compatible as possible. This is not always completely possible, and in fact Xpand relies on EMF 2.5 for some minor parts. How EMF is dependent on a specific Eclipse version I cannot predict, but I would guess it would also be possible to backport it. I am sure that it won't work out of the box and requires some effort.

On the other hand it could be an option to migrate the toolsuite to Galileo. Also this should not be impossible.

Which approach is the better one must be analysed. I doubt that there is concrete experience available, i.e. someone who have backported the plugins, and answering this question could exceed what we could do in this forum. Of course, if you ask concrete questions you will get answers here.

This is mostly a matter of the business case, I'm quite sure that it would be technically solvable, and most likely it would take some effort. Most certainly the plugins have to be patched to get them working on Callisto. If the business case allows it you might consider to assign some experts on that.

Kind regards,
~Karsten

Need professional support for Xtext, EMF, Eclipse IDE?
Go to: http://devhub.karakun.com
Twitter : @kthoms
Blog : www.karsten-thoms.de
Re: EMF, oAW and "Code Composer Studio 4" (CCS4) [message #531558 is a reply to message #531410] Wed, 05 May 2010 12:20 Go to previous message
Abdull is currently offline AbdullFriend
Hi Karsten,

thanks for the useful reply. Of course I'd be better if the developers at Texas Instruments (TI) would not target a 4-year old Eclipse platform, but rather keep up in pace with current Eclipse platform development. On the other side, I can understand that an independent software developer doesn't want to reinvent the wheel every year whenever a new set of Eclipse APIs is released, just to have his software running.

I will update this thread with information about my progress of getting CCS4 work with the current and future (Helios) oAW 5 toolsuite (let's call it "CCS4-oAW5 hybrid").

In the meantime, I tried the brute-force method of pasting all CCS4 IDE files and plugins into a working copy of the "Helios itemis Modeling Distribution" (eclipse-SDK-3.6M6-xtext-1.0.0M6-win32.zip). This new "CCS4-oAW5 hybrid" is able to start up... though - as expected - with lots of exceptions thrown whenever I try to create a new CCS4 project etc.

I will ask the guys at TI to share their thoughts.

One more thing: Is there a way to find out which Eclipse APIs/plugins another Eclipse tool/plugin requires? Karsten, you hinted at that "Xpand relies on EMF 2.5 for some minor parts". What about the other components of oAW5?

Cheers,
Abdull
Previous Topic:[XPAND] XPand and Partitioning Ecore is possible ?
Next Topic:extract the information of an association
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 06:32:28 GMT 2024